Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

clare14 Country Bears
England

I was sewing last weekend, and my thumb and finger slipped and I broke my needle in 3 places.   I cut my first finger and thumb, and located the middle of the needle and the end with the eye containing the thread, but where did the point go??   Well I must have lost it in the carpet somewhere........    bear_wacko

Anyway, after mumbling about my thumb a few times this week, this morning the wound looked very sore and swollen, so, of course, I HAD to mess about with it, and found the cm long point of my needle embedded in my thumb - OW!!!   Feels so much better now that's out!!   bear_laugh

What with that and the horrible callousy type thingy I have on my first finger from tying and pulling threads tight, my hands aren't a pretty picture....... bear_laugh  bear_cry  bear_wacko  bear_whistle

I'm sure we've all got a story to tell about what we suffer for our art.......!!!  bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Sheesh, Clare . . . ouch!!  Am sooooo glad you located the needle point before it caused a lot more damage!  Yep, my fingers aren't too much to look at, either, but a lot of it is the arthritic, 'knotty' joints that make my hands look so weird.  I have 'sewn' my finger while stitching along on the machine . . . that was a big surprise.  Glad your thumb is better!

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Oooooh ouch! So glad you found that bit of needle Clare!

I used to work in a laboratory, where a colleague got some glass embedded in the end of her finger. Trouble is, she didn't realise it till much much later....she thought the red lump that kept appearing was just scar tissue, until the end of the shard of glass appeared one day! Only in her case it took months to work it's way out ;). Happily your needle didn't take so long!

And I won't even begin to describe the state of my fingers....  bear_laugh  bear_sad

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Oh Clare !  :hug: I hear you! When i finish a bear it's like NOBODY TOUCHES MY FINGERS! hurt so bad...

I punch myself so many times that my fingers turn red and sore pretty much..
..when I go to beauty salon what the manicure girl think, I wonder?? ..........paint, glue, needle wounds....sounds like I've tortured..... bear_laugh  bear_laugh

god bless bearmakers!

Julia :hug:  :pray:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Good Grief Miss Claire

Even i haven't done that much damage!  Wow!

Was this the new machine?  I ask because I was thinking about you today and wondering if you were liking the new one.....

well maybe not today......ouch!!!

hope it gets better really soon!

hugs

dilu

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Ouch Clare .... that sounded so painful and I am so glad that you found the piece lodged in your finger.
I hope that your finger and thumb will heal really soon.
Take care

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Clare, that gve me the heebie geebies!!! Sue Ann, your story did too!

And here I sit with 4 bandaids on my fingers tonight!!!! While cutting out a pattern with brand new scissors I cut my finger. Then I cut another finger. Then I sliced my thumb with thread and got the other side of my thumb with a felting needle. All in an hour's time! I decided to call it quits for the night...  :doh:

All for the love of bears!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

It's totally amazing that any of us have fingers!!!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_cry There's love of bears.....and then there's self mutilation!!!  bear_cry   Yeeeshh!!!!  You gals are making my awl gouging seem like a cakewalk!  bear_ermm   I'd say each bear manages to nail me at least once with the needle (normally the glover's needle), but since I've been making mohair (still getting stabbed), I've got a brand new awl....and I realized I'd get nailed with the booger as soon as I saw how evil it looked... and it did hurt, but NOTHING like having a needle break and lodge in a finger, or getting run over by the sewing machine...or Daphne's hat trick of taking out both hands....  bear_cry   

Sending along plenty of bandaides...and thoughts of bubblewrapping all of you to avoid teddy bear injuries! :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Oh silly you, Clare!   bear_sad  The idea is to sew the bear not the fingers together.  Heehee   bear_happy   I hope you heal up super duper duper quick!

Warmest healing bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Clare, Ouch! Ouch!  :hug:
Did you broke a beautiful long nail ?
sorry for the accident.  bear_cry 
I'm sewing my bears so slow but I still hurt my self
by accident.   bear_tongue

Sue-Ann, I really glad that I still have
10 fingers on my hands.... bear_grin

Hugs/Marie

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

And the little bear says: "Hey, you are supposed to be sewing me! Not your fingers. And keep that red blood stuff away from me!" He also says: "sewing me up hurts a little bit, but I look so nice when you are done. YOU don't look so nice when you are done sewing on yourself. Keep the needle and thread where they belong! Helping me to become a bear........ Thanks"

Hope all fingers get healing and feeling better soon!  :hug:  :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Clare. Sue Ann...OOOOOOOOOOUCH! bear_wacko

I have poked a felting needle through one side of my finger an thumb and out the other.  At least I could check my blood sugar! bear_wacko  bear_laugh

I also was recently using my awl to poke and eye hole in a bear/s head and was not paying close attention as I was watching TV too...well, it all of a sudden went through the hole , out through ther neck opening where I was holding it, and thrust underneath  my thumbnail.....I couldn't even look at it...I just applied pressure...it hurt so badly and bled....owie

So YES...we sure do suffer some pain for the love of our art...it is so worth it though.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

OUCH! to all of you!
Just this morning, I put a large felting needle all the way though my finger. What fun! LOL

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Oh, dear! So mcuh pain!

I have been lucky so far not to hurt myself while sewing. Oh, of course, a few times I have picked my fingers: amicro drop of blood and no more. Maybe that is because i sew very slowly!
I have got sore fingers after I have finished the nose and claws, of course...
That is nothing compared to what happened to some of you, though...

But I do beleive that my turn will eventually come, and I hope that that day i won't put some blood on my bear!!!  bear_tongue

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

nettie scotland
Website

poor souls all those nasty injuries.
I have two fingers that are now rubber and I can stab them and they don't even bleed.
The worst I did was one night when I should have been sleeping I was using plyers to pull my long needle out of a head and I pulled so hard it came right out and pretty far into my thigh!!!That was a nippy sweetie!!!
Diane xxx

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Oh Diane, that must have hurt.  I dropped a new pair of small fiscar scissors and tried to catch them by closing my knees fast and that was a mistake. I still have a 1/2 inch scar where they went into my leg!

Hugs,

Brenda

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_shocked  bear_shocked Holy cow, Clare!!! That sounds like quite painful.  Glad you found the needle point.  Ouch!!!

:hug:
Tracy

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Ouch!   bear_shocked    Artists really do suffer for their work.   bear_original  :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Holy Cow is right!  Yikes!!!  Sewing can be hazardous  bear_wacko

lbbears Wind Lake. Wisconsin

ouch ouch ouch everyone bear_sad   Makes a person wonder how much of our dna goes into a bear. bear_wacko
:hug:
Laurie

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

WEAR FULL BODY ARMOUR !!!!

i do  bear_tongue

Penny  :hug:

Board footer