Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

kimboycethomas Posts: 25

Hi - I don't post here often, but do read almost daily and love all the wonderful advice.  I am ready to give up on attaching a lower jaw and instead would like to scultp one in.  I would want it just big enough so I could have a little bit of tongue showing.  My question is...do you think this could be done on a traditional type bear pattern or would the head pattern need to altered to make more room for scultping in a mouth?  Also, any suggestions on where to anchor the sculpting stitches?    Any thoughts are appreciated.

Kim Thomas

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Kim,  What you might try is design the muzzle of the bears head side pieces a bit larger to accomodate the seam allowance from the slit you will have to make for the open mouth.

Any other ideas out there?

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Judi I was going to suggest the exact same thing.  As you're working with a traditional shaped head, you may need to deepen the head side pieces, but I think it would accomodate a slit for a small open mouth.  I would then make the needlesculpting stitches from the eye to the corner of the mouth (same side of the head) and back up to pull the corner of the mouth up (after you've stuffed the head). 

I hope that's not confused you....

Debbie,

I will try that.  I wasn't planning on cutting the fabric at all.  I was just going to indent a bit of a "shelf" to glue a tip of a tongue on.  Have you ever tried that?  Do you think it is possible?  Thanks a bunch!  Kim

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Oooh, now that would be worth a try Kim!  I bet it would work too.  Give it a go, and let us know how that works  bear_thumb

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I know this wont be off any help at the moment. But ,I saw a bear with the mouth done just that way ,with a little tongue here on TT. Now if only the owner reads this and brings forth the bear................
AND it did look good as well.

Unfortunately I dont have pic's but I made a mouth one time for a bear that was an extra  add on. I shaped it like an ear and placed it under the chin and ladder stitched it on. I also added a tongue made out of a shaded suede. It owrks wonderfully well when the pile is dense.

Matilda

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

bears-2125.jpgAh Kim, an indication of an open mouth with tongue.  I have done that.  Here's  photo I have of Polar Pete with my daughter. .  He has a sculpted mouth with an applied tongue.

bears2075open-mouth.jpg

These two bear made from rea fur both have tongues.  The one on the left is the same design as the first photo with justan applied tongue.  The bear on the right has a full open mouth.

Thank you for the pictures Judi.  Your daughter is a cutie pie.  I will give it a go and see what happens.  Kim

Board footer