Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

8-hummingbirds.JPGGood golly! The things you ladies talk about! It's been a while since I popped in to see what's going on.
bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Well first, I can lick my nose and turn my tongue upside-down too.

Now, my favorite animal is the Hummingbird. Tiny birds only about 2 inches long. They migrate through Colorado the end of summer, back down to Arizona for the winter. We camp a lot in the mountains and bring a feeder to hang outside. I get loads of pics of them. They literally fight over the nectar. They are so small and quick, they wizz by your head like giant bugs! They are fearless little things, I think they know we'd never be able to catch them.
Here's a pic I took last summer, there are 8 of them in this pic, though a few more were buzzing around too.
Of course, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to catch the beautiful metallic colors of their feathers. I stand very close to the feeder and REALLY STILL for about 20 minutes to get nice pics like these. For every 10-15 pics I take, I might get 1 that you can see. They are so fast, they are usually just a blurr.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Stephanie that hummer pic is simply breathtaking!!!  They are sooooo beautiful!   bear_wub   We got buzzed by some in Oregon on a coastal trail.  Turned out they'd made their nest right beside the trail.  It took forever to figure out what the heck that was ~ they were buzzing by us so fast, couldn't make out what they were  bear_grin   I'll bet it was great fun to watch them at the feeders. 

Awwwwwhhhh....I wish there was some way to keep coatis that small...they're just so adorable at that age.  Ummm, Leslie pulled Amanda and her brother Christopher (Kissyfur) from the mom when they were 2 weeks, 2 1/2 weeks old.  I believe she chucked in an egg or two, mum went for the eggs, and Leslie waltzed out with the babies.  Pretty slick if you ask me.  I don't think the mums pined for the babes at all, food seemed to be the top priority.  I still remember feeding Amanda...one of the few times she was quiet and still... 

All I can say for her toys is "thank God for Fischer Price"!  bear_tongue  bear_grin   nothing else really held up.  She adores squeaky toys, and for ages anything with a bell, but we have to be careful with the bell toys, the older she's gotten the more vicious she gets over the bells, finally had to remove the jingly toys.  I don't know why, but they always sent her into an alert mode, then an attack mode as she got older. 

Elmo looks like he's roughly 9 months to 14 months old...arizona boy from the look of things, and a handsome baby at that  bear_happy   Laughing at your hubby hamming it up...that's alot like my guy!  bear_happy

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_laugh Loved the story of the Serval Momma!   bear_laugh   She's got the right idea dumping the baby on her human nursemaids  bear_rolleyes

Maybe that's why I thought Elmo looked so young, then, different subspecies... 

Yep, Amanda adores perfume too... the ranker the perfume, the more she adores it  bear_wub   We encountered a bum, replete with *stench* is the only polite way to put it, on the beach one day...and Amanda completely abandoned us, head over heels in love with her new friend.   bear_happy   Good thing we had her on the leash, I'm not sure the bum would have survived Amanda's perfume persuits  bear_laugh

Board footer