Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Anderloo1.jpgI received this from Jill Robinson in the mail this afternoon, I have donated one of my own bears to be auctioned off to raise funds for this worthy charity last June, and will do so in the future . Jill is doing work that I could never do, as it would break my heart, but I so admire the work they do.

Jill Robinson MBE
Founder & CEO
Animals Asia Foundation

www.animalsasia.org

Goodbye Andrew

Dear Friends,

For those of you who have shared our special moments with the bears over the years, I'm so sorry to pass on the sad, sad news that we said goodbye to our number one ambassador, three-legged Andrew, (Anderloo as he is named in Chinese), yesterday afternoon
Early yesterday morning, following a month of eating less and sleeping more, Andrew had a health check and ultrasound which revealed that something was horribly wrong.  Our Vets, Kati and Phill, began abdominal surgery and found the most aggressive and ugly cancer I have ever seen in my life.  The removed tumour, weighing 7.3kgs surpassed anything we have seen before and, because the liver was so terribly affected (with approximately 5% of its normal function remaining), Andrew's blood wasn't able to clot and he had been slowly bleeding to death.

Even on Wednesday, he ate more than he'd eaten the whole week before; those soft gentle lips pursing for another slice of tomato, a second tub of yogurt and a blueberry muffin, causing us to wonder for a second whether we were right to bring his surgery forward.  So many variables are involved - and in the past we have felt surgery essential, only to find nothing medically wrong as the bears have entered a "normal" pattern of lethargic, inappetant behaviour associated with hibernation of the species in the wild.

Yet, it was the killer we know so well... liver cancer; possibly originating from a tumour factor of aggressive cells connected with the massive infection from damage caused on the farms - the demon that lurked silently in Andrew's body, waiting for the chance to strike.

No words can ever explain the grief everyone here is feeling - we cremated and buried our mighty Andrew at 6pm last evening, with local TV camera's and the San Francisco Chronicle recording another chapter in bear farming history - an outpouring of anger and sadness which is difficult to describe even now, but which united everyone here in the conviction and determination that Andrew will never die in vain.

I know too that this will be a horribly sad message for those of you who loved Andrew and enjoyed all the updates about his life over the past five and a half years.  Andrew was so much more than our ambassador, our friend.... he was the bear who began it all; our noble, forgiving, gentle giant who will live in our hearts forever.

Someone wrote today :  "You are not weaker without Andrew, you are stronger because of him."  And we are.

R.I.P. Anderloo, we love you.
:pray:
Lynette

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

That is so sad !   bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry Me too.  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Tear filled bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

What a beautiful bear Andrew was and how blessed you are, to have had him in your life!

My thoughts and prayers are with you Lynette as you face the loss you so passionately feel.  It is always hard to lose a dear 'friend' !

:hug:

nancy

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Sleep sweet dear Andrew.... You've brought so much joy and meaning to the lives of many.... Tonight there will be a new, bold star in the skies....

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

It is always sad to see animals pass.  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad
My heart goes out to all who knew and loved him.

Hugs
Kassity

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I read this message from Animals Asia and cried. It has made me more determined to finish up designing my Moon Bear, who I decided to name Andrew, and get him out travelling and auctioned off with all funds going to AA. There will be a bright star in the heavens tonight for him.......rest well Andrew.  bear_flower

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada
thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Lynette, I'm so sorry about sweet Andrew, but I guess we have to be glad that his last years were spent with so many people that loved him.  At least he was able to to enjoy tomatoes and yogurt and all the other treats he received at his life with Animal Asia.  I've sent you a PM as well.  Talk to you later.

Hugs,

Brenda

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast
Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Oh so Very sad   bear_cry

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

nettie scotland
Website

It is so terribly sad but at least he had a few good years and was away from his life of misery.I have his lovely photo in the lounge here.He is the last bear I befriended for my friends christmas this year.They will all be sad too.It is so heartening to see that there is a better future ahead for bears like Andrew.
I cannot understand how a person can get up in the morning and work all day looking at these beautiful animals in their tiny cages.It seems like being in hell to me.I have to try hard not to think of all those sweet souls when I go to bed at night.I think it is harder for people like us that make a living creating their images.I take great satisfaction in knowing how much the teddy bear community gives back for their future.May we all continue to remember the suffering of some  our inspiration.
Diane xx

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Poor,poor, beloved Andrew. God bless him.  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Hugs for Andrew, Jane  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I had an idea and not sure if it would work,to help raise funds for for the Asia Animals Fund this is it,
1. An artist/person from TT would set up an auction site on EBAy , their own or a new account.( I have no idea how easy it is to set up on Ebay, as I do not use EBay or it complications)
2. The artist/person would get 10% of the money raised as a handling fee.
3. Artists/people from TT would donate a bear to be auctioned off and would be reponsible to see that the bear is delivered to the person who successfully bids on the bear.
4. Focus would be drawn both to the bears in distress, to Intercal/TeddyTalk, interesting to follow the auction.
5. Someone is going to have to work hard, who takes on the setting up of the site , adding the photographs and controlling the income etc.

Or is it just better to donate bears to perhaps a place that is set up to auction off bears for the fund, maybe someone can do a web search and see what is already in place,

Comments please
Lynette

Lynette

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Beary Cheap in Australia has a fund set up for the Moon Bears.  www.bearycheap.com  Scroll down and it's on the bottom of the left-hand side.

nettie scotland
Website

Abracadabra-teddies in England have been auctioning teddies for well over a year and have made about 14000 pounds so far.I made one last year for the auction.On her site she has a picture of a rescued bear called Abracadabra.Each month there is a differenet artist bear and at christmas customers donated artist bears for a big auction.The owner Marsha has worked very hard on it.

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

I am so sorry, that Andrew passed away. It is always very sad, when one of the bears
is died. But it is a comfort to know, that he had some good years. Thank god for people
like Jill Robinson.
There is a travelling bear on Cheap Chat, there is to be sold on Ebay, when his travel is ended, and all the money is going to the Moonbears. His name is Flinders, and yes he had visiting me here in Denmark.

Hugs Birgitte

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

We most help some more bears to have some good years in freedom.

Hugs Birgitte

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

That is so very sad!

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry
There will be another star in the sky tonight.
We love you, Andrew!

Board footer