Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

clare14 Country Bears
England

I know you've all probably had this discussion before - but I've just got to ask because I can't get my head round this technique!!:(

Can somebody let me know an idiot's guide or explain slowly:D

I would be really grateful;)

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Jennifer Laing's book Constructing Teddy and His Friends gives good instructions on how to do it! bear_laugh

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Clare, sorry I'm not the expert
on sculpt toes but I've tried once.

I just stuff the foot pad very softly (don't stuff the whole leg yet)and after you gave a embroiding for the toe fingers (I did 5lines in length side  and 1-5separate lines for side way) . I used a strong thread to sculpt the toe before I embroid. 
You will stuff more in toe fingers area , try to create a fingers shape by pushing stuffing with your fingers.
I did practice with socks first,(human socks)to see how it works
then I tried on mohair bear.
Here is my sculpt toe pics but
it's not so sculpted as I wanted....:(
Hope this will help to give an
idea ! :D

Foot.jpg
Hugs/Marie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Marie, that bear is darling!  Great toes!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Thank you Shelli !  :)
I painted his toe with a color pencil.(dark brown)
It works ok but , now I've bought the oil painting set
(first time in my life!) and I will try to use them for shading bears face,paws,pads,  as I learned from Shelli in this forum.  :D

Bear Hugs/Marie

Clare, I hope you will find out how to do the sculpt toe and let us know if you make one !

Hugs/Marie

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

ben1.jpgHi Clare,

This is how I do my sculpted toes (well my bear's toes!!) -

I do three lines of thread for the vertical toes and then lines along the base horizontally.

Place pins at equal points - I do one in the centre and then one either side at equal points - then pins at the base points too.

Start with a good long piece of embroidery thread like you use for the nose.

Loose the thread in the leg of the bear, going back and forth in and out the same holes to secure the thread - like you do before starting the nose.

Come out with your LONG needle (like you use for eyes) at the top point of the first toe on the side.

Take needle down and into the bottom pin point - then back out at the top of the centre toe pin.

Take this down to base of the line and then back up to last toe at the top... again into the base.

This time bring the needle back out at the bottom side of the foot pad where you want the horizontal line to go!

(Still following!!)

Take it in and out along the base so between each toe line is a separate line - looks like one continuous line when finished.

Finish off the thread neatly where it can't be seen and then loose the thread again as before.

You need to stuff the foot firmly, but not too hard so that it has some give in it to create puffy toes but not too much so that the fabric sags or creases as you pull.

Boy it's not easy saying this in words!  I hope you can follow it!  I'll try and put a photo of one of my bears with sculpted toes to try and help explain what I'm talking about!  Please ask, if you don't get anything I've said.

Bear Hugs,
Catherine

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Marie and Catherine . . . both your bears with pulled toes are wonderful!!  And the instructions are very well said.  I didn't volunteer to try to explain it in words because I didn't think I could do it very well, but both of you have.  So now I don't need to!  bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Awesome bears Marie and Catherine. Love them both. I just tried the sculpted toes on the Polar. I could not explain it though and I think I need more practice anyway.

Hugs Louise

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Great toes and instructions, ladies. bear_laugh Thanks.

I've got some paws to attend to . . .

Eileen

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Catherine, cute bear !!!!
Your sculpt toe looks real SCULPT  bear_cool great job !
I will keep practicing on mine. he he

Clare, are your there ?
or you are gone for SUMMER VACATION!?

Hugs/Marie

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Clare,
I hope you are not missing this post !! :P

I know this forum move so first and if you are
gone for few days you need few hours to
catch up. he he ;)

Hugs/Marie

clare14 Country Bears
England

Whoooa Marie!!   I think I slipped into a parallel universe for a couple of days there...........:lol:

Thank you so much everyone, your explanations were great Marie and Catherine, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along, I hope you don't mind me bugging you again at some point!!

Off I go to try............!!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi all!  Oh... this is new to me!  new computer type things are always a little bit scarey for me!  So do bear with me while I try to figure out this forum! I'll try to post an introduction later today when at least one child is sleeping;)

Just wanted to chime in on the pulled toes thing... something that I've found that really seems to halp me when doing my "big" mohair bears with sculpted/pulled toes is to first line the ultrasuede with an medium weight iron-on quilter's batting... I use Pellon brand - you can get it at any fabric store or quilter's supply.... Anyway... I tend to be very aggressive when pulling the toes of my cubs.... I ended up with a lot of puckers and creases in the ultrasuede....Who wants wrinkly toes!!!!???? The Pellon does seem to give the ultrasuede a bit more "body" as well as keep it smooth....

Oh... Tantrum downstairs... gotta run!  I promise I'll try to get back on here later and introduce myself a bit more formally rather than just sneaking in the backdoor with a word about toes!

Beary truly,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals
http:/www.picturetrail.com/bastadolls

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Hey, Kim . . . a big welcome to the board!  We really look forward to your posting more about yourself and some of your bears!  And thanks for the pellon technique for toes . . . sounds like a great idea!  Good luck with getting some free time to hang out here! bear_grin

After just the little "toe pulling" I've done, I think putting a little more stuffing in the toes seems to keep wrinkling down.  And that is just a different version of what Kim has said, I think.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Kim! Welcome to Teddy Talk. I have seen your bears on quite a few occasions and they are fantastic as are your polymer clay sculptures. I love your babies so cute and your faeries well I could go on, but Kim I feel sure you will enjoy being here and we will enjoy getting to know you.

Jane

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi Kim!  Welcome.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Welcome Kim !
Thanks for the pellon technique for toes.
I have made the wrinkly toes before...
boo hoo bear_tongue I would like to be more aggressive for pulling toes too. :lol:
Please come back here and play with
us.

Clare, I don't mind any bugging :D
          because I always bug others too.
          he he

Bear Hugs/Marie

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Hi Kim...nice to see you in here...LOVE your bears! Sounds like you have the qualifications to make a comment on the 'How do you do it" thread too!!!:D

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Welcome Kim! :D

Thanks for the great info!

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

OHH! IT IS GREAT TO FINALLY MEET YOU! I SAW RHAINE (SP?) ON EBAY AND WAS TOTALLY AMAZED BY HER LOOKS!  WHAT TALENT!  TOO BAD I COULD NEVER AFFORD HER!  MAYBE WHEN I GET RICH AND FAMOUS!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hi Ya Kim....love your idea about the iron on batting thing for toes.....I have tons of that stuff.  So it is a trapunto technique, If I am understanding.

Marie- I love your bear and think your toes look grreat!

Catherine-  what a sweet babykins.  Great look.

Thank you everyone- some times it takes a simple word to make everything click into place-  now I GET IT

Dilu

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh thanks guys for the lovely comments!!!  Rhaine was my all time favorite mohair bear that I've done to date.  You know how sometimes they fight you tooth and claw and sometimes they just flow together exactly as you imagined?  Rhaine just flowed from start to finish!  VERY RARE indeed for me!

Trapunto ??? I don't know.... I'm actually not much of a quilter, so I'm not exactly familiar with precisely what that technique is!  I think that since you are adding a bit of bulk and extra loft behind the ultrasuede (or whatever you use for paw pads) it just tends to puff a bit more while lessening the chance of getting your fabric puckered underneath the thread?  Make sense?

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Board footer