Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I know Judi is an RN and I know Shelli has some RN training.  Here's my question - I'm on my second round of antibiotics for an infected throat.  First doctor didn't do a swab, but our local doctor did, and the results are positive for Strep.  The anitbiotics are playing havoc with my system (never had an infection like this before), and was just about to stop them, when the positive Strep results came back today, so I will muddle through to the end of my prescription.   Is it usual to be soooo whiped from a simple strep infection?  I'm going from my bed to the couch, with a few rounds of Teddy Talk in between (of course), but really I have nooooooo energy.  Should I not be feeling better after these last 4 days of antibiotics?  I'm supposed to be making bunnies, since I have all the time in the world, with hubby in Toronto, and the house cleaned up.  I'm so frustrated cuz I feel like crap.  Sorry to be so whinny!

Hugs,

Brenda

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Ahhh Brenda, there is nothing 'simple' about strep throat.  Its horrid, and I am very sorry you have it!

Good on you that you are going to finish out the antibiotics.  Could I also reccomend gargelling with warm water in which you have disolved an aspirin?  It will help dull the raw hamberger feeling.

And I know its been said many times......drink lots and lots of fluid.  Double what you would normally drink....and OJ will probably burn like all get out.  stick to water, gatorade type stuff and appklejuice type stuff....things easy on the throat.

Now the reason you think of Strep which is brought to us by that ever inventive Streptocccus bacterium, is simple is because many people diagnos themselves and they don't have that at all. 

Strep nearly always lays you out, and you wonder if life is worth it.

I hope you feel better, no talking and popcycles help sooth the throat too....

hugs and gollygoodwishes for better health tomarrow.

Dilu.....yep, I'm liscensed and certified..... bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

So sorry Brenda to hear that you are still not feeling better and hope someone can help you
with regarding, your antibiotics.
Please get well soon.

Hugs
Carolyn

bear_flower

Dilu, thank you sooo much for the information - my throat's feeling a bit better, it's just that I have absolutely noooooo energy and the antibiotics have been giving me really awful stomach cramps - that's why I was going to ditch them.  I had been told that the results would be back by Friday and since I hadn't heard anything, I figured it wasn't Strep and I was safe.  Then I got the call this morning to tell me to make sure I finished them, as the results were positive so I definitely will.  I've been using salt water to gargel and that definitely helped - never thought of using aspirin.  For the first few days, I could not have swallowed a pill.  I guess I was just getting really frustrated as I figured I should almost feel normal after a few days of medication, sort of like a bad cold - now that I know it's normal to feel crappy, I will take if easy for a few more days.  I didn't know you were an RN as well - we have our own little medical panel and it sure makes a girl feel safe and secure LOL!   Thanks so much again, for all the help.

Hugs,

Brenda

P.S. Thanks for the well wishes, Carolyn!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Aww Brenda , feel better, just rest now cause that's what your body is telling you to do.  :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

bear_original Hi Brenda,
Sorry you are feeling sooo bad! bear_cry If your antibiotics allow milk products to be consumed , you may try yogurt to calm your stomach. Most yogurt products contain the bacteria that the antibiotic destroys. "One yogurt a day keeps the stomach pain away."  bear_tongue

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Aloe vera gel may also soothe your tum, and do be sure to take some form of food before the antibiotics...that could be causing the stomach cramping right there.

As per the dreaded strep, my boyfriend in college had this and it layed him low for over a month!  That's a spunky hyper teen completely zapped, so I'm not surprised you're feeling drained.  Sending along gentle  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  and get feeling better soon thoughts  bear_flower

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Brenda, I am sorry to hear that you are still not well, you have been sick for a long time now! It would be very frustrating to have the time to work on your bears & bunnys and not feel well enough to do anything. Hopefully you will be on the mend REALLY soon.

Dilu, thanks for the aspirn advice! I hadn't heard of that before!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Awww Brenda!!  Get well soon  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Thanks for all the well wishes and I guess I was a little too optomistic on how fast I should be "better".   Now hat I know Strep is so nasty, I guess I'll lay low for a bit longer. 

Hugs,

Brenda

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well Brenda.  I understand that Strep is a particularly nasty thing to have.  I thought I had it earlier this year - the Doc did too, so he did the test, but fortuntely it was only the "grunge".

Take care of yourself,

Jane P.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ah Brenda, Strep, like Dilu stated is NO small matter.  It is very serious and rest rest rest rest and lots LOTS of fluids.  I is normal for you to feel absolutely drained of all your energy right now.  Let the medication do it's job on those nasty streptococcus beasties.

Take care of yourself...go get a teddy bear, pillow, blankie, and BIG BIG glass of water and be a couch potato.  It can take seven to ten days to run it's course.

((((((((( :hug: )))))))))))))))

clare14 Country Bears
England

Awww Brenda  :hug:

I suffer regularly from very sore throats, and I know how horrible they are.   Poor you, to be so poorly, I hope you're feeling much better soon, take care, and rest lots!!!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Brenda I am sorry to hear your not feeling too good ... I hope you start to pick up soon. A nieghbour of mine had a throat infection and she was told by the hospital to drink Coke, I couldn't believe it but she said it helped ease the pain in the throat ..... has anyone else heard of this?? .. not being a Coke drinker I cant understand how it could help...

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Try to eat something like cream of wheat or oatmeal when you take your antibiotics.....it will help coat the poor tum....

hope you are doing better....

rest darling, and drink....

hugs

dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, Brenda, just saw your post.  I can't help with medical advice but I do have a personal story.  Strep is one nasty bugger and many people are actually "carriers," but don't know it... such as member of your own family. 

Some time in the late 90's -- 98? 99? -- I had strep throat SEVEN TIMES in one year.  I kept getting re-infected by my family members, who were all tested, and who all tested positive as strep carriers.  I, of course, was negative... and whenever I got their germies in me, my dysfunctional tonsils took the abuse.  Ultimately, I had to have my tonsils out, as an adult in her late 30's.  That hurt worse than childbirth, I kid you not.  And I gave birth twice without drugs of any kind, so that's saying a lot! 

Strep can be dangerous as it's my understanding it can effect the heart if left untreated.  So YES, do finish your antibiotics and take them as directed to keep a constant level in your bloodstream to fight off that nasty infection.

If you don't feel better within a few days do revisit your doctor, as sometimes a different medication is required.  One time I even needed a shot of Rocephin in the ol' bottom, because I took the wrong antibiotic for too long and the infection had too great a foothold.  Man, that hurt!

I have always otherwise been blazingly healthy so this strep dance I did for a year really threw me and my health for a loop.

Last, in case you didn't know, nausea and vomiting are actually symptoms of a strep infection.  Those symptoms should dissipate as your meds take hold.

I really hope you'll feel better soon, as I know the misery of that infection all too well and wouldn't wish it on anyone!

PS  I haven't had strep even ONCE since my tonsils were taken out!

Shellli,  wow, that must have been a shock to your system - 7 times in one year!  YUCK!!!!  My daughter had her tonsils out at 15 and my husband had his out at 40 and I'm sure they would agree with you that it's the most horrible experience they have ever been through.  Unfortunately, my daugter Sarah's tonsils have grown back - she has just turned 30.  I've picked up my last two sets of germs, when I have been babysitting Corson, so perhaps he is the culprit.  I'm definitley not used to being around ankle-bitters all the time, and when we move down there it will only get worse, I'm sure.  Like you, I'm normally very healthy and that's why this has thrown me for such a loop.  I'm definitely going to take it easy this week and make an effort to eat well, and get lots of fluids and sleep.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Feel better soon, Brenda . . . sending good vibes your way!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer