Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Has anyone ever used one of these in their bears?  I am keen to make a bear with a music box in it and have the bear move to the music.  I know Spare Bear Parts sells them in the US, however they don't have a secure website and I am not sure if I can get one in Australia.

Has anyone ever used one?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

A what?????  :doh:

I've seen the yes/no mechanism... is that what you are talking about? You wiggle the tail up and down and the head nods. If that's indeed what you are talking about I believe Edinburgh Imports sells them and has secure ordering. Guess I'll have to go check out Spare Bear Parts to see what you are talking about!

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

WAGGIE SHAFT: To assemble; wind the small silver color adapter shaft counter clockwise into the bent silver color waggie shaft. Then push other end into adapter hole on top of music box. Slip plastic cover over waggie shaft and top of music box. To install in NON-JOINTED BEAR:leave a large opening in body back for stuffing. Stuff muzzle firmly. To keep stuffing in place attach a long thread inside at neck seam allowance, take a stitch at the nose bridge then back down to one cheek. Continue working in this manor back and forth around muzzle forming a web of thread against the muzzle stuffing. Try not to pull thread too tight or you will distort muzzle. Place assembled music box with waggie shaft into body and head stuffing around shaft lightly. Have bend of shaft right at neck level or slightly higher. Stuff around music box to hold in place. Do not stuff between back of music box (sound board) and fabric or the music will be harder to hear. The key may stick out of seam or make a buttonhole for it. For a JOINTED BEAR leave a hole in the back of the head to stuff through. Joint arms and legs. Make the joint holes in the body neck and head large enough for the waggie shaft. If the neck edges are not sewn closed gather to fit waggie shaft. Stuff muzzle as above. Put the waggie shaft through both pieces so the music box fills the shoulders and the bend in the shaft clears the neck. With a running stitch sew the head onto the shoulders. The head will move better if the stitches form a smaller circle than the disc size called for by the pattern. Complete stuffing as above.

This is from their site which may explain it a little more.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I just found that.
I'm not comprehending....  it makes the head move? Attached to something on the music box? a special kind of music box? Wish they had a picture.
I'm obviously of no help so hope someone comes along who can help!!!!!!
Sorry, Leanne!
I'm sending you a PM.

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Let me know how you get on Daphne or if you need anything else from me.  You are so sweet  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Just email me your PayPal user ID so I can send you an invoice once I have a total from Courtney!
Use the E-mail link under my avatar here to the left.
Thanks!

OH... and your mailing address too!!!!!

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Done and done  bear_thumb

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Leanne I got one from Gerry's a couple of yrs ago ..... I don't know if they still stock them .... I haven't used the one I bought as yet .......

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Hi,
I've used waggle shafts quite a bit in my 'bear in box' style bears.   They work well, but I've found in a plain bear they don't do much.  You have to sew the head to the body and leave enough of the neck area unstuffed so that the shaft actually has room to move.  Jointed heads don't work with this apparatus...bear and body must be sewn together with a 'neck' so to speak.

Other consideration is that you have to measure the body very carefully...so that the key for the music box comes out of the back exaclty where it should be make the shaft fit into the head properly.   I always like the key to come out of my bear's tush so that I can cover the key with a tail.  For a 15 inch bear...that means my waggie has to be about 8 inches long to fit from the music box up into the head.   I've bought extenders and such to make the shaft the correct length, but I don't know if Spare Bear sells them.   I've always purchased these contraptions from Lamp Industries (Virginia I think?.)     

Another consideration....they are fairly fragile...so package WELL for shipping.   I've had one break during shipping...snapped right off at the music box.

Hugs,
nt

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Thanks Nancy, will keep that in mind - thanks for the help.

Board footer