Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Jacqui MoonBeam Bears
South Australia

Hi

Been reading about the leather cord eyelids that you do shelli and eyepainting

but searched eyelid section on the step by step method on how these eyelids are done
dont understand how  or why the leather is put into head at side of eyes etc
is there a post somewhere with pictures and how to do list.

and also the painting of the eyes step by step.
when you say oil paints can you use the ones that they use for model planes and cars i think they are oil based and they come in tiny tins, as the names you use we dont have here in aussy land.  Or do any of you aussies no of good oil paints to use for the eyes

sorry to be a pain i am just one of those people that i understand more by seeing step by step pics. on both of the above.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hi Jacqui,

Shelli is away for a couple days at a bear show but I use her method so maybe I can answer some of your questions.   Unfortunately, there are NO pictures which I know is helpful (for me at least).

why the leather is put into head at side of eyes etc

The lids are put inside the head so there is nice neat finished look and to secure it to the bear.  The cording is also glued to the glass eye so you can get the affect you would like.  Other types of cording such as elastic is actually tied/sewn inside the head or on the underneath side where it is not visible once the head is attached to the body.  I'm sure there are other methods as well...I only know about the elastic cording because I asked a couple weeks ago.  It's really easy but does take practice to get the look you want to achieve.  Don't be discouraged if it's not perfect the first or second or even third time.  You'll get it.

and also the painting of the eyes step by step.
when you say oil paints can you use the ones that they use for model planes and cars

I think you may be confusing two things.

1.  Shelli and others handpaint the GLASS eyes for a more realistic look rather than just using the black eyes.  She uses a combination of metallic looking nailpolish and acrylic paints for this...NOT oil paints.

2.  The oil paints she uses in for the bear itself to give the bear it's other features such as depth in and around the eyes, shading, shadowing, etc.  She uses regular artist oil paints which you buy at an art supply store.  They come in tubes.   Lots of other ways are to use copic or prismacolor markers, acrylic paints, etc.  Judi Paul using acrylics and airbrushing.

Try these links and see if any of them answer some of your step by step questions.

Eye Painting... http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=203
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=351

Cording:... http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=1432

Shading... http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=611

There are many other discussions on all of these some of them are mixed into other conversations.  I just picked a few which you may have already read.

Have fun!!

Shantell

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I have used model paint and car touch up paint on my glass eyes. I have also discovered a glass enamel paint that I like for the back of eyes. I can't help with the lids as I've never done my using that method.Hope I helped some.

Jacqui MoonBeam Bears
South Australia

Thanks heaps shantell,
I found a lot of info on the posts you sent me too. I think I might have it now. Went to a bear show and got some cording to try when I get a spare moment.
Thanks again   :dance:  :dance:

Jacqui MoonBeam Bears
South Australia

Thanks Shari,
I will get my son to find some of his model paints and give it a go, will be a interesting to see how they turn out.
Thanks

Board footer