Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Does anyone know how to make  feelers for a  bug  bear ?

My bear will not be a minature but will be about 9 or 10" tall. I know there must be several ways to do feelers  as  whenever we start a certain topic ...wow !!! the ideas all come out to play ...Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ooh!  Ooh!  I can help with this one.

I've made feelers in two ways.

1.)  Use stretchy, elasticized, transparent jewelry cord.  You can buy it cheap on a small spool at places like Michael's.  It makes "droopy" feelers like the ones I put on TWIGGINS and BUGG, which I took to Nevada City.

BUGG72dpi4x6.jpg

2.)  Use firm, heavyweight fishing line.  This makes stand-up feelers, like the ones I used on FAE... who went to Nevada City LAST year.  I must have a thing for feelers and Nevada City.

FAE-closeup-head-tilt.jpg

3.)  With either of those, to attach them...

--- Thread the line type of your choice on a large needle; one that's big enough to go thru your bear's head from side to side.

--- Figure out where you want the antennae to emerge from the head, and mark those two points with straight pins.

--- Insert the needle into one pin mark and exit at the other.  Pull the thread thru the head until you've got the antennae close to, but larger than, the length you want it to be when you're all done.  Then make a knot or two in the antennae at the base, right next to the head.  Pull it a little from the other side to make sure it won't "pull through" the head, and that it's knotted big enough to stay in place.

---  Then do the same on the other side; knot the line tightly next to the head.

4.)  Trim the ends of the antennae to the same length, as you wish.

5.)  To finish... dip the ends of the feelers in tacky glue, then in glitter, in the color(s) of your choice.  This adds a nice "ball" to the ends of the feelers and a bit of fairy dust as well!

Hope this helps!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

OH WOW SHELLI, your new bears is gorgeous! Love the new looking eyelids!

White City, Oregon

Hey Shelli..that sounds like 2 very promising ways... I did not know about the clear stretchy jewlry cord...have to go see that...I like the transparant idea.
I do have some hollow black jewelry cord... I thought I may try to push a length of jewelry /craft wire thru it to make it stand up a bit more stiffer....then I want to try a bead on the end that will coordinate with the other colors in my bug bear. What fun ...eh?  Great tip on tying the cord at the head base.Thank you for sharing ...Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I like the bead idea a lot, Winney; hadn't thought of that.  It's great to come together and share!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

One of the classes I took used white floral wire run under the mohair.  You went in where you wanted one feeler and out at the other location.  You can either roll the ends down to make a knob on the end or attach a bead on the end of each.  They did not seem to need it but you could put a dot of glue to keep the feelers stable.
Donna

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

That's a great idea, too!  I even have some of that!

White City, Oregon

Oh Donna...that gives me another idea... since floral wire is taped ( and yes it can peel off later ) you could paint it any color, black, blue, green etc... When that drys then coat it with acrylic varnish so the tape cannot peel, fray off...then I'd  pull it thru the mohair spots..continue as you like with glitter, bead ends, etc... Great tips ... Winney

Board footer