Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Yes, I finally found a little time this morning to work on a teddy bear...but it's not quite what you think. I do need to complete some bears I'm working on (see my avatar!), but this little guy was in need of some minor surgery. Here's his photo and a brief tale:

trua.jpg

This is Trua (pictured in early 2000). I made him at the beginning of 2000 for my cousin's daughter's third birthday. (I don't usually make teddy bears for children, but this was special!) Fast-forward, and Trua has been loved for the past six and a half years...and the mistakes I made with bear making in the early days came back in the form of Trua's foot pads acquiring holes at the heels.

Did anyone know that Ultrasuede is not all that forgiving when you remove a seam? The holes where the thread was remain in the Ultrasuede, though they're quite small, and with play and time, they are weakened and become holes! Sigh. bear_cry Poor Trua!

So, I am doing surgery on his heels (I mean her heels! I keep forgetting that her owner thinks she's a she!). I removed some of the stuffing from the heel area and did a ladder stitch about an eighth of an inch above the tear and then down to the mohair fabric along the edge. So Trua's feet will be smaller when I'm done...

Age is not always kind to loved bears. I think Trua is a good reminder of that...even though she's only six and a half years old! But then, aren't loved bears the sweetest? bear_wub

Soon I am ready to move on to finishing the waiting bears, poor patient dears. Thanks for listening (er, reading)!

:hug:  Debora

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
New Avenue Crew wrote:

But then, aren't loved bears the sweetest? bear_wub

YES!!!  I love Loved bears.  I don't make them  but I sure love them.  What  cute bear bear_wub

It's nice to take a break and catch up.  I have been so busy with a retail order that I have not had any time to do anything else...but I am surviving making th same two bears..over and over bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko ....I don't know how but I am.

Website

Oh, my! I don't know how you're able to make the same two bears over and over--that would drive me bonkers!  bear_wacko Is there an end in sight? Thanks for your compliment on Trua. That pattern was the beginning of my bears' "look"--for the 11-inch size, at least. Not that my bears have a look, but I do at least see a resemblance. I think.  bear_ermm

I'm with you--I love the loved guys, too. I have made only one, and I am wanting to make more!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Debora, nice to hear from you! Trua is a very special bear!
Judi, I give you my deepest empathy and a huge hug!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Debora, yes, it is making me bonkers.   have never had to try and duplicate my work over and over before.  Even when I use the same design and fabrics, I still make them each different...SO...now here I am working with the catalog at my side to try and capture just the same expressions as my original two bears.  It's alot harder than I thought it would be. bear_wacko

Daphne, Thanks for the hug.  I needed that. bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_original

Website

Oh, Judi--I think you need more hugs!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: I have made a couple of bears in an addition of three, and I can not make them look the same. I figure they never will because I just am not that skilled!  bear_tongue  I am in awe of those like you who can make a bear look like another one.  bear_cool  bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks for the hugs!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
I'm always ready for a hug. bear_thumb  bear_wub

When I repeat a design there is no mystery in wondering what will emerge..instead, there is pressure to make it look a certain way.  Kinda takes the fun out of it.  I am happy that people want them though..so I won't complain. bear_wub

Website

Judi said: I am happy that people want them though..so I won't complain.  :love:

Yes, indeedy! That's what makes it all worth it! Good for you, Judi, for taking on this sort of thing. Your collectors will be pleased.

Well, I finished mending Trua's feet last night. :dance: I also gave her a little primping: combed her mohair and retied her bow. Now her owner wants me to add claws to her paws, so I'll do two or three of them and then finish them up with her so she can learn how. She is sort of my teddy bear fan club bear_happy and wants to learn bear making and sewing. Maybe I'll learn sewing right along with her... :crackup:

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

bunble-kiss-250pix.jpg

The stress of making the same bear over and over is really something .I remember from years past !! I send you teddy hugs !!! You know bears are like a litter of puppies....Even though they are made the same they all have their own personality. So don't stress!! Your art is so wonderful that I am sure no one will be disappointed. Keep going !!!! And enjoy every new personality that stares back at you :hug:

Jodi Falk

Board footer