I had a requist about am I offer layaway, but I don't know
exacly how to do it.
What is your experience about it.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi Birgitte.

Layaway is basically a payment plan.  Sometimes people can't or don't want to pay the entire amount for an item all at once, at the time of auction win -- or website purchase.  So if the seller allows it they can put that item on layaway. 

There are a bajillion ways to set up your own layaway plan, but usually, a certain amount is required as a deposit (20%, 30%, 40%, 50% of total price), and the remainder is due within a certain period.

For my own auctions, I happen to ask for a 33% layaway payment at time of auction win, and then 33% is due 30 days out, and the last 33% is due 60 days out.

There are lots of permutations on this so the best thing to do if it sounds interesting is to decide how long you want to/can afford to wait for payment on your item and then design your layaway plan around that.

Important note:  The bear does NOT travel to your customer until ALL payments are received!  And many people include a clause in their layaway contract which stipulates that downpayments are not refundable.

Hope this helps!

Patty Posts: 36

I can tell you how I feel as a collector, if it helps at all. Most of the time, I am much more likely to buy a bear (especially a very expensive one) if I can get a layaway plan. Sometimes if I see more than one bear that I simply must have, a layaway helps immensely and it also generates more sales for the seller. Overall, it makes it easier for me to overlook the whole cost when I don't have to pay for it all at one time. However, I do understand the other side of the issue, and know that some artists have gotten burned on unpaid layaways. Personally, I take a layaway payment as seriously as any other bill I have. Unfortunately, people that don't follow through on their commitments ruin it for everyone else.

I belong to some doll collecting forums. Occasionally I will sell some of my collection to other collectors, and take payments. I have learned from downsizing my collection, that a very structured payment plan with time limits is best. When I have sold pieces out of my collection, I am always very specific about when I expect money and make sure that I mention that payments on defaulted transactions are nonrefundable. The idea of paying out money and getting nothing for it because of default usually weeds out most of the irresponsible people.

These are just my thoughts.

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Hi Shelli and Patty

I thank you so much for your replies.  bear_thumb
I know now a lot more, and I think, that it is a very
good thing to have layaway.

:hug:

Quy nomonkeybiz.com
Costa Mesa, CA
Website

Quy Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Be sure to check out "Selling" under the Library for more related postings.

Quy bear_original

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Thank you, Quy.  :clap:
I learnt some more - I didn't think of the library.

Board footer