Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Boyds moosies were gifts to our wedding party a number of years ago, before I started making bears. Henry and I got married because of a moose.... but that's another story for some other place!

Daphne's comment from another thread got me wondering if anyone has any stories to share about how they met their husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend. Sounds like Daphne has a story so we'll let her start!! Daph...you and Henry got married because of a moose?? bear_grin

beary_clairey Luton

Met my hubster 12 years ago on a blind date. His mate was going out with my best friend.
They broke up a few years after but we have been together ever since & will be celebrating our fourth wedding anniversary on the 19th.

I thank my lucky stars every day!!!

Hugs

Claire

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Well, I know I'm jumping in before Daphne... DAPHNE get your bear buns in here!!! lol 

My husband worked for a moving company here in Lafayette, Indiana that came up and moved my family (my dad, stepmother etc.) from New Hampshire to here.  Never thought I'm meet anyone that way!  I really wasn't looking for any relationship whatsoever.  We moved here, we exchanged numbers (I had NO intention of actually calling him even though he was a really nice guy...I was scared to get into a relationship again) and a week and a half later he calls.  I kind of sort of tried to put him off but he seemed genuinely sweet and I thought, "OK, I'll humor him with a 'friend date'."

Well, one thing led to another, he proposed one month after we started dating, we were married 6 months later, and we celebrated our 4th anniversary last May.  On our 50th wedding anniversary, I want Alan Jackson's "Remember When" played.  If any of you haven't heard that song yet... YOU'VE GOT TO!!!!! bear_original  No matter how many times I hear that song, I LOVE IT.

so there's my story and I'm stickin' to it. lol

Kimberly W.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kimberly, where in NH did your family live????????????

Ft. Bragg, NC

Hee hee, not too far from you Daph.  Pembroke and Manchester, and they just moved away AGAIN from NH; they were living in.... oh dangit, what was it called.... the town near the racing track.  HOW anyone can move AWAY from NH is BEYOND me....  I STILL would jump at the bit to move back there if we had the opportunity.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE New Hampshire.

kimberly W.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Kim, I love that song too! I think it was written about me and Sean!

I was a freshman in college (18years old) and he was a senior in high school (17 years old). I had a job at Wendy's in my home town so when I started college, I just transfered to the Wendy's in Cincinnati near my school. I didn't have a car yet and I walked to work most of the time, and Sean gave me a ride home and asked me out. We dated 6 years before getting married, and we just celebrated our 14 anniversary in August. Our meeting was no spectacular romantic story but I feel like our lives are! I thank God for him every day!

Us in 1986, the year we met.
IMG_3608.JPG

This is more recent (still a couple of years old)

Tami.jpg

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, Henry and I didn't meet over a moose..... but one did play a role in us finally getting married.

Henry has a cabin in the northwestern part of Maine which is all mountains, a lake, back roads and little else, except moose I was told. So, we went up to the cabin EVERY weekend through the summer, enjoying the weather, the lake and the mountains which are absloutely beautiful. Most important to him seemed to be that I see a moose. He'd take me on day long drives in the mountains on dirt trails looking for moose. He pointed out every spot he'd ever seen a moose, told me a zillion moose stories but not once did we see a moose. I was really bummed as I'd never seen one before and hearing the tales was making it all the more frustrating. Saw lots of "moose muck" (muddy areas where the moose had been grazing) and lots of moose tracks. I got a crick in my neck on a regular basis looking out the truck window, focusing my eyes about 15 yards back into the tree line where I was told they hang out. Nothing!

So in early September we're up at the cabin just heading out to a mountain we wanted to climb. As Hery starts the truck he informs me he wants to get married at the top of this mountain so he can't wait for me to see what it's like. Yes, we'd talked about the propect of marriage a number of times but Henry seemed to be all talk - no proposal! I was convinced even the moose was made up! So I told him I didn't care how wonderful this mountain was, I wasn't going to marry him until he found me a moose! He let out a huge groan and pulled out of the driveway. And there in the middle of the dirt road the cabin is on was a bull moose! Staring at us as if to say "Here I am! Now get married already!" Henry propsed to me that day at the top of the mountain. We were married that December.... NOT at the top of the mountain but at his parent's house near his cabin that has the most wonderful view of the mountain we climbed.

I won't bore you with how me met. Nothing about our relationship has ever been simple or normal!!! bear_grin

Ft. Bragg, NC

OK, that was really sweet, Daphne.  Talk about fate! bear_original bear_original  My older daughter, Gabrielle, was a Moose for her first halloween.  I made the costume for her.  If I could scan it in, I'd show ya'll a pic of her in it.

Tami, that's what's important!  I do love my husband sooooooomuch!! hee hee

Kimberly W.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I love these stories!!

Way back in 1997 I lived at home with my folks and the internet was a new thing for us.  My youngest sister had set up her aol account over the summer at the shore and had been messing around with it all summer...local chat rooms, yada yada.  So they get home from the shore and she helps me set up a user name and basic no fuss bear bones profile. Well, next day I'm online poking around and I get this bell noise and a pop up that says "hi". What the heck is this I'm saying?!  Sis explains it's a message and a guy is trying to talk to me. How WEIRD!! (remember I've been online for a day)  I'm fresh out of a recently broken engagement and in no mood for boys, so I was kinda sarcastic with this person, nice but..yah know "whatever" about it all.  Next day..ding dong bell noise again..and so on and so on... day after day.  We wrote for weeks...anyday I was online he would just pop in to say hi and chat. Then he gave me his phone number, I wasn't about to give out mine...even back then. We talked on the phone for a few more weeks.  He had a picture of himself to send (cutie)...and I couldn't even begin to know how to do that..scanner what???  So we set up a first date and he went into it totally blind. (My choice of locations, I drove my own car and he had to follow me from place to place).  Nearly 10 years later we're married and probably never would have met outside of that.  This was 10 years ago before dating services online and all of that...plus neither one of us ever did that before or again. We weren't "looking".  I ask my hub all the time what made him write, he swears he never did it before, it's really not in his nature at all...he said he liked that I said "I love my dog" in my profile. 
The next year "You've got Mail" came out...it's still my all time favorite movie.  There's a song by Carole King called Anyone at All...that's THE song for me and my hub bear_wub

:hug:
~Chrissi

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm joining Chrissi 's "You've Got Mail" club with my own internet-meet-cute story. 

I met Tim when, ironically, I was looking for a therapist in a last-ditch attempt to repair my already-long-dead marriage to my first husband, with whom I'd been in relationship for 16 years.  I was looking for NorCal marriage counselers online, and Tim's name, among others, came up one awful night, while I was recovering from a huge dispute with a truly despairing heart. 

We exchanged IM's and I discovered he was too far away (4 hours) to be a feasible counseling option for me and my husband.  But he made some helpful recommendations about how-to-survive-divorce books and local providers and possible weekend couples encouter types of things, which I shared with my husband, as I shared that I had "met" a therapist online who seemed like a really genuine person, and who was, in his own life, watching a long marriage (22 years) die a painful death. 

Over time, as I separated and began to move forward in my life, we became friends, and when my marriage officially ended in divorce and some time had passed, we became more than that.  We've been together ever since... six years and counting.

I also love "You've Got Mail" for its pleasant associations with how I met my soulmate and the true love of my life.  And who doesn't love a Meg Ryan / Tom Hanks movie???

bear_original

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Okay, here is my story.
I knew my husband at high school but he was always chasing other girls.  I left school and was working at a department store and had not seen him for a long time. My Mums church group started up a Friday night dance in the church hall and I was selling the soft drink when lo and behold he came up to the stall.  We had a couple of dances and he asked to walk me home.  Now as this was a church dance there had to be an adult to supervise and this night it was my Mum.  I went and told her that "Bluey"  (he has red hair) had asked to take me home and Mum said thats okay but wait for me.   Shock, horror, what would he think with my Mum tagging along.  Needless to say I did not wait for Mum and he walked me home.  We didn't live far from the church hall and we were leaning on our fence when Mum came around the corner.   All she said as she went inside was, about time you came inside Denise.  That was in 1967,  he was called up into the army in 1968 and did all of 1969 in Vietnam.   We got married in 1970, so we celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary this year.

Not all smooth sailing and the army service has a lot to do with that, but we are hanging in there....

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

great stories everyone...and nice that the net plays such a role!

I'm not married but will how i "met" my many onscreen boyfriends count lol  :crackup:

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Well here is my story. When we were in high school we had to walk in straight lines from one class to the next. When I was in Grade 9 I started to watch this really cute curly headed boy who was always at the end of the line with two of his best buddies To make a long story short when I was in Grade 11 there was a Sadie Hawkins dance at the school and on this occasion the girls ask the boys to the dance so I asked him and he said YES!!!! We went together for 8 years before we married ( He went to University and I went into Nursing in different cities ) On August 19th this year we celebrated 45 years of marriage and if I had to do it all over I wouldn't change a thing. He is the absolute BEST, BEST ,BEST. and I can't imagine life without him as we have been together since I was 15 and he was 16
Hugs
Gail :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

StuartPaulaJan06.jpgOooh romance!  How lovely!  Also, it goes to show that just when you think things couldn't get worse, they often do get a whole lot better!

My story is a 'Friends Reunited' success story.  My marriage was over and I'd been through a further disastrous relationship and had completely given up on coupledom.  I started looking up old school friends on the Friends Reunited website (believe me, your circle of friends disintegrates when your long term marriage collapses!) and caught up with people I'd lost contact with over thirty years ago!  It was fun. 

Anyway, back to the thread ... there was a name I recognised, because it was such an unusual surname.  I grinned when I saw it because it made me remember, for the first time in twenty three years, a young lad who used to wait for me every morning before school.  He would stand by the lamp post at the end of my road, looking nonchalant, just 'happening' to spot me over the road as I dawdled to school.  We would walk the short walk from that lamp post to the school entrance together, rarely saying much to one another as we were both pretty shy.  And that, as they say, was that.  When the school term ended, so did our very brief encounter!  I went to a new school across town to do my A Levels and we never saw one another again ... until about five years ago!

Devilment grabbed me.  I thought it would confuse him to hear from a girl he'd probably never given a second thought to, so zipped off a quick friendly email saying hello ... a blast from the past!  I honestly didn't think he'd remember me, but oddly enough he did ... not that there was much to remember! 

We started to correspond by email and as coincidence would have it, discovered we lived within two miles of each other and had done so, without knowing, for almost twenty years!  As far as I was aware, he was married with a couple of daughters and living happily ever after, so our contact was very light hearted and straightforward.  After a time, there was a downturn in his humour and I began to sense an undercurrent of 'not so happy ever after', but he remained totally private and our friendship continued by email.  And that's what we shared, simple friendship. 

One day, several months later, he plucked up courage to ask me to meet him in town for a coffee, so I went along and spent a pleasant afternoon chatting and sharing life stories and he told me his marriage had ended.  After that?  Not a lot!  I really wasn't interested!  That's the truth.  Not that he wasn't a lovely man, but by then, he had turned into such a good friend and I was so anti relationships, I kept him completely at arm's length.  The rest as they say, is now history.  Months later, I was doing a bear show one Sunday and he called during the afternoon, to see how it was going, then offered to come over and help me pack away my stand back into the loft when I got home.  It was such a kind offer, I suggested we went for a drink instead ...

That evening, we sat outside the pub by the river.  My suede handbag was resting on the table, when suddenly the heavens opened.  He leapt up, grabbed my handbag and put it under his jacket ... to keep it dry!  We raced over to a covered table and it suddenly dawned on me he was a really, really, lovely man.  I honestly hadn't seen him in a romantic light until then, months after our first meeting!

Naturally, he was potty about me (!) and we started dating.  Now we're still the best of friends and so much more.  We're currently working through purchasing our first home together and when that's sorted out ... well, who knows, maybe I'll stop being so cynical about marriage and think about saying yes ... no promises yet though!  bear_happy

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

ttt01.jpgbday30.jpgWell having come out of a bad 1st marriage I met the man of my dreams
on line in a chat room about 10 years ago. I was in Texas and he was in Colorado.  We emailed for about a month then started talking on the phone
exchanged pictures back and forth and then met in person for the first time
after about 3 months.  Did the whole long distance HARD relationship for over
4 yrs. Then I made the move to Colorado and we started living together.  We had a small family wedding last year. We are just 2 peas in a pod! hahaha

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

After being alone for 11 years following a divorce I was doing fine ..and not 'looking'..being an independant type of person you'll understand!! LOL

I met my 'lubbly hubbly' at a football 'do' that I went to with my sister. We had a long distance relationship for a couple of years as he lived in Yorkshire and I in Warwickshire..but we got married in 1998 on New Years Eve ..we got married and went up the pub...no fuss no ceremony..and that's how I like it. Having been there...done that before..we both wanted to be married but not 'get married'..so it was a real quicky of a wedding but I know in my soul it will be a marriage built to last.

I haven't got a picture of me ..(do you know ..I am always on the other end of the camera!!!) but here's Steve...with the other loves of his life

bitches_copy.jpg

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

What great stories everyone!!!

So here's how I met Stuart....

Stuart is Australian and was travelling around Europe with his mum, brother and sister - they were having a well deserved break after losing his other brother to a brain haemorrhage (spelt correctly??) over a year before hand. They were all staying in England and I met them through a friend of my mum's who knew Stuart's step father (who was English) from years before...very confusing!!!! It was February when we first met and we'd become good friends very quickly (which seemed odd as I was 17 at the time and he was 25!!!). Both of us wanted to be more than just friends and it was finally in the September that we became more than that. The February after that Stuart had to return to Oz for 3 1/2 months, but then he flew back to stay in England with me.....he calls me his 'English Rose'  bear_innocent . That was back in 1999 and here we are 7 years later...we have 2 wonderful little boys together and are getting married in August 2007.

Here is a picture of my 3 men!!!

hurstmonceux_001b.jpg

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

What great stories!!  I've really enjoyed reading them all.

I met my husband when we were at university in Bristol.  We both went to 'le roc' dancing (which is a french jive/rock and roll dance) and met there.  We both liked eachother, but were really shy, so it took us months to actually get together.  Within about 3 months of our first date, I started staying at his student flat, and we didn't have a night apart from then until two years later on the night before our wedding. When we finished uni, we moved into a rented house, and the day before our wedding in August 2006, we signed for our new house that we currently live in in Chetenham.  We just celebrated our first anniversary in August.
Our wedding day was amazing - a perfect day.  We got married at Tewkesbury Abbey, which is an amazing building, and just down the road from where my parents live, and where I grew up.  We had bears on our wedding cake, and two of our flower girls carried bears in their baskets.  My husband bought me a 1906 Steiff as my wedding present - something I have always wanted, but never thought I would own!!  He was sat on our bed in the honeymoon suite, when we went up there after the wedding.
As we had met through dancing, our first dance at our wedding was important to us, and we did a waltz to the song 'Could I have this dance for the rest of my life' - which is a great song, and has a lot of meaning for us now. 
I still often think how lucky I am to have met someone like Alan.  He has very quickly taken the teddy bears into his stride, and seems to enjoy helping me on my stall, and helping me choose which bear(s) will be added to my collection.  I don't think there are many young men who would have accepted it all so quickly!!

Photo05_1A.jpg

chris009av Real Deal Bears

OH you can blame those pesky bee's for my relationship.
I had rented a sweet little house after my marriage broke down, and I definitely wasn't looking for another relationship.
As it happens, I had found that a hive of bees had set up home on the side of the garage.  As my daughter is allergic to bees I contacted the council to see what they could suggest.  They gave me a number of a local bee keeper to ring, which I did. 
I was worried about the cost of getting rid off the bees as I was under financial hardship at the time ( walked out with just about the clothes on my back, and no way was I going back)
Anyway, was I relieved when the bee keeper said that the cost to me would be a cup of coffee.
Over coffee he asked me out for chinese, I declined as no way was I going to get involved....hehehe....famous last words.
We have been together for 11years now  bear_grin

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

malandkids.JPGWow, I met my hubby 17 years ago at my cousins engagement party.  I was eyeing off the desert table and a young fellow came up to have a chat to me, and I never got that desert that night, as I was busy chatting away to him for hours and hours.  Mal actually worked with my cousin at the time at the same company.  The night ended, no exchange of phone numbers.  But my Aunty played match maker, with my mother, and  my phone number was exchanged, he phoned me, and  we went out a few times, got engaged and married some time later, and have two lovely kids. Couldn't live without him.  bear_original

K Pawz Guest

Believe it or not, I met my hubby in Australia in May 2001
We were both in the Canadian Navy, and I had just spent the weekend at the Beefsteak and Bourbon in Kingscross, when I had to return to the ship for duty the day before we were to leave Sydney...I was doing my daily cleaning station of scrubbing the deck, when I turned around to see somebody new coming on board....it was hubby and we started chatting and he was going to be joining my ship for the rest of our trip and then back home....so the story goes on to New Zealand where we spent every moment together in Christchurch, and then on to Tonga, where we once again spent every moment together, the whole time trying to stay out of the eyes of other ship members as it was against the rules for ships members to be involved with other ships members....although I don't think we really fooled anyone....we became good friends before any relationship really started for the simple fact that on a warship there isn't really any place for privacy....I was on the middle watch, midnight to 7 in the morning, he wasn't really on any watches as he was there for missle preps, so he started sleeping when I did, and keeping me company during my watch...
We arrived home in Victoria BC in July 2001, and in August 2001 we had moved in together, we knew that we were meant to be together.....We all knew what happened in September 2001, and it totally changed our lives, I got set to deploy, and so did he, on September 22 2001 he asked me to marry him, and we were married on December 1, 2001. Septemer 11 showed us that you never know what is going to happen in the world and that there is no better time than the present to go after what you want....
We are still happily married, and living with all of our critters, 12 cats, 1 dog, and a bird....he also has a daughter from a previous marriage who is married herself with children, so I guess that makes me a Grandma at 31!!!! You should see the looks on peoples faces when we are out with the little ones and they call me Grandma!!!
Hugs,
Krista

KandDresize.jpg
Here we are at an animal fundraising auction last weekend
Auction.jpg

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Oh my...so many romantic stories. I found my husband the old-fashioned way - picked him up in a bar! Actually, he told me after years of marriage that he had told the bouncer to seat a couple of cute girls at their table! In any case, we dated for a couple of months and then he introduced me to a good friend of his. I dumped him for the friend  :crackup: Fortunately six months later when I realized the guy was a dud Peter was still around and we got together again. We've been married over 36 years now with 4 kids to our name.  bear_wub

Marion

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles
MerBear wrote:

I dumped him for the friend  :crackup:

:crackup:

I love all your stories !  :hug:

Samantha : For sure, young men do not accept to get involved in bears very enthusiastly in general (at least my boyfriend doesn't bear_laugh  :crackup: ). It's so strange in my mind to see an helpful young hubby, that when I saw you and your husband, both so young, and with same hair color, I thought that Alan was your brother (I don't have a brother so I may have an idealized mind picture of The Helpful Older Brother, you see  bear_rolleyes bear_laugh).

Yann will come with me at Ally Pally (I love this name  :P) and I think it will be very very difficult to make him accept to help me, even with the translation thingie (he speaks English very fluently and, well... I just do not...  bear_rolleyes)

If I marry him some day (I may, as, beside that, he is very cute bear_happy ), I don't have much to say. We were studying music at the same music school and he had seen me playing the cello and he found me interesting but I had never met him. He was very shy and found me too young for him (I was 15 and he was 19) so it took time but he finally tried to talk to me and after a long time, we dated. The main difficulties before that is that when I met him I was convinced that he was the boyfriend of my best girlfriend's older sister, so I didn't want to speak to him too much not to have problems with this girl that I liked very much... But in fact he wasn't with her at all bear_laugh.
The typical teenagers stories...  bear_rolleyes

I must take pictures of him as I have lost all my non-bear-related pictures (I make back-ups for work but not for personal photos ... Silly me...).

Hey, girls, would you come to France for my wedding ?  bear_happy

Hugs,
Marion

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I just love all these sappy romantic stories...

Sorry but I have nothing to share...

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

My husband and I met when mutual close friends had a "fix up all your single friends" party. They matched up all their singles into couples that they thought would be good together and had a big dinner. This is not something I would normally do, but since they knew me so well, I thought that maybe they would have better luck than I had had on my own! Well, 5 minutes after meeting my 'perfect match' :crackup: :crackup:  I questioned whether our hosts had ever actually met me!!! I did spot a really cute guy across the room though and thought why can't I meet a guy like THAT?
Eventually that cute guy and I became friends. He was so much fun and so interesting that I didn't want to risk telling him how I felt about him if it meant we couldn't be friends anymore. I did always wonder why he didn't date much even though every available friend of mine wanted to go out with him, he always said no.  One day, after some prodding, he confessed that it was because he was already in love with someone...me! He hadn't wanted to say anything because he didn't want to risk our friendship. bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
He proposed on our 1rst official date and we married 8 months later.  We have been married 16 years and have a 10 year old son.
Still crazy in love with my guy (and he's still my best friend),
Cheryl

Board footer