Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Best-teddytalk.jpgLove the stories!  Mine is quite simple - I met my husband Neil when he was 11 years old and I was twelve.  My friend had a crush on his friend but I thought Neil was an obnoxious twit, even though he was very cute.  Fast forward three years to 1966 - our city had a coffee house for teens, so we had somewhere to go.  Neil was no longer quite so obnoxious and we've been together ever since.  Neither of us can stand crowds and I hate being the centre of attention, so we eloped at city hall, one September day in 1971, on our lunch hour and then went back to work.  We were 20 and 21.  We didn't tell anyone until the following May, then we finally told our families (we had our reasons and that's another long story) Neil had an apartment with a buddy and I stayed often.  Bottom line is that we just had our 35th anniversary and have been together a total of 40 years, so I guess he's a keeper LOL!  Our grandson looks more like him than anyone - here's a pic of the two of them.

hugs,

Brenda

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hee hee, I LOOOOOVE all of these stories!!! They are just great; what a wonderful way to spend the afternoon when I should be working on my bear!!!! ha ha ha Thanks for starting this thread!

Kimberly W.

TeddyB Posts: 83

We are High School Sweeties  bear_wub we have been married for 15 yrs been together for 17yrs with two boys (14 & 10).

knuffelbear Claudia's Knuffelbaeren
Heinsberg

Well, let me tell you my story....... I met my hubby at work. I worked in a Call Center and we looked after a big Insurance Company here in Germany. We looked after the agents, for their computers and software.
One day, I talked to a man - now my hubby - because he had a problem with his computer and he really was very angry! bear_shocked
We talked perhaps half an hour at work, until I got the service man for him.
After that, we had written some emails.
in the eveining we had a telephone chat from 8 o'clock in the evening until 4o'clock in the morning. and I had to get up at 5 o'clock .....
We met us 2 days later for coffee, we had a very nice time, talking and talking and talking.......... and since that day we are together! One and a half year later we got married  bear_rolleyes And I necer did regret one second of this time!  bear_wub

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Awww what beautiful stories, and pictures.

I was working for a doctor in Mariposa, and the local Physical Therapist called me and said he was sending over his best friend for neck problems and would I please take good care of him.

Well my knees went totaly weak when I met him.  I took a history checked him in and I looked in his eyes and thought that I could spend the rest of my life looking into those eyes.

The doc saw him.  Then the doc gave me a bottle of white flower oil, which is a heat inducing oil along the same lines as Ben Gay, and told me to give it to him.

So I said , to this total stranger, "Have your wife massage this in twice a day."
He said "I don't have a wife."

"Ok" I coundter, "Have your girl friend...."

He replies, "I don't have a girl friend."

We are in the Lobby, there are patients sitting there, people who had known me pretty much all my life;

and what comes out of my mouth?

"Ok your boyfriend..."

Well the office erupted with laughing.

So I am sitting there after we close, and I can't get this guy out of my head.  Susan, the wife of the doctor, says; "How could you be so stupid, why didn't you ask him out, coffee, dinner?  What?"
Then she went into the doc's office and took this guy's chart and wrote down his phone number, handed it to me and said
"call."

So I did.  I asked if we could go for coffee.  He said no, but how about a picnic on Saturday at Bass lake.

OK  I'm a picnic kind of gal.

Well the picnic started at 11 am and we didn't leave Basslake until 6PM.

We spent afternoons together, every weekend, and 3 months later he came home from a jog, pouring sweat, out of breathed and sat on the floor....and he said;

"I think we should get married."

"I thought we didn't want to do that-that's a pretty hefty commitment."

And he said,. "I think we need to get married.  How about  the week of the 10th?  I have time off then."

Here is this delightfully sweaty guy on the floor in my home purposing....ever so eloquently.. :crackup:

I said; "That's nice dear, now why don't you take a shower and try this again?"

We were married within 3 months of meeting each other.  It was the best decision I ever made in my life, and I have never had a moment of regret.  I adore this man....and he treats me like the Queen of the Gollydingbats that I am.....

dilu

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I found El Tel by the side of the road with a tag round his neck reading "Free to a good home"

Nearly 30 years later i think to myself.............."What if had just left him there?"

Then i think................."He'd have starved"

:crackup:

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Penny said:

I found El Tel by the side of the road with a tag round his neck reading "Free to a good home"

Nearly 30 years later i think to myself.............."What if had just left him there?"

Then i think................."He'd have starved"

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  Oh Penny, I'd love to meet you one day!!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I met my hubby at work when we were both working for Royal Mail.I was working in a little office sorting out the letters that had to be returned to sender when hubby came in and shut the door behind him so he could keep it secret from everyone that he wanted to ask me out on a date.Well I agreed to a date so off he went to get back on with his work and went to open the door and couldn't open it as it had jammed shut so he had to bang on the window to get someone to let him out.Needless to say it didn't stay secret for very long.Well the rest is history and we are still together 18 years later.
Laurie :hug:

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

It's so strange in my mind to see an helpful young hubby, that when I saw you and your husband, both so young, and with same hair color, I thought that Alan was your brother (I don't have a brother so I may have an idealized mind picture of The Helpful Older Brother, you see  bear_rolleyes :D).

Marion - you made me laugh!!  I do have an older brother and he certainly does not understand my bears at all!!!  People always say that my husband and I look young, and although I am 23, he is actually 28! 

(By the way Marion, I love your avatar! bear_wub )

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

What a great and happy topic....love the stories!

I met Mark at a Ballroom Dance.  The same place his mom met his dad.  I remember seeing him enter the room in black pants and a turquiose shirt.  He said he saw me talking with some people he knew so he made a bee-line to get introduced.

We danced and danced until my head was spinning.  Still, I thought, yeah, he is very nice but I can't go out with him...he's shorter than me.  Well, one year later we were married. :dance:  This past September we celebrated our 10th anniversary and he still treats me as if we were dating....he's as good as gold.........no better!

Our wedding reception was at the same hall where we met.  His mom and dad had thier reception there to.

AND..were still dancing!
0012_017.jpg

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I actually met my husband through my ex.  He was friends with my ex LOL.... He and I were friends for about a year or so and when my ex and I broke up, I started seeing Toby  bear_wub   I have never been so happy and couldn't imagine someone more perfect for me... we can tell by just looking at eachother what we are thinking LOL... he treats me so good and makes me feel like a queen bear_original 

We started our relationship October 8th of 2000 and were engaged in July of 2001... we got married in October of 2004 ... here is our wedding pic (my favorite one)...

Wedding_Picture.JPG

And here is a pic of my hubs and his niece (a relative took this one so it isn't the best quality)

toby_and_shania_croppedpic.jpg

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Dave and I were introduced by mutual friends.  I had been divorced about two years with two daughters, 5 and 10.  Dave was in the middle of a divorce.  (A very messy one which caused us much heartache in the first few years of our marriage.)

Dave worked with Glenn and I had known Dana for years (our mutual friends).  They thought we would hit it off and invited us both for dinner at their home, and we did hit it off.  We were married one year later.  We will be celebrating our 16th anniversary in November.

Bonus, my girls LOVE LOVE LOVE Dave.  We have all been blessed!!!

Here's a pic of our wedding on November 2, 1990
Dave_and_Patty_Wedding.JPG

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

I love all these "How did you meet..." sharings...I met my soul mate Paul...after being thru some very devistating life experiences...and being alone...far from home...when I basically had to give up...and move back home...then finding a job with a home town small fuel oil delivery business...and while I was having my "interview" saw one of the drivers go by the office window...fell totally in love...with the "cute nose" of the driver....I didn't drive at the time..and depended again on my dad for rides to & from work...and after I got the job...my dad had a late business meeting...and I asked Paul if he could give me a ride home...we stopped for a drink on the way home...and he asked me out for the following friday night...and by the end of that date...he had proposed & I had accepted & we were married 5 & 1/2 months later...and that was in 1969... and we are still together...and every day is better than the day before.... That's our  story..

Hugs &

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hayley, a194.gif

Thank you so much for such a wonderfully heartwarming and uplifting topic.  Kudos, my love, it has been such a bright spot.

To all you other beautiful and talented ladies,

Your piccys are wonderful, beautiful ladies, beautiful brides, and some pretty handsome dudes in there too...Thank you for sharing your Pictures, so nice, so very nice.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

And to think I was worried that no-one would answer..... bear_ermm  bear_laugh
I have SOOO enjoyed reading everyone's stories so far...so romantic! And some of the more unusual meetings should give hope to those who think love will never come their way.  bear_wub
Daphne...I loved your story about the moose..sent shivers up my back when that moose appeared in such an amazingly appropriate part of the story! And I was misty eyed reading Dilus....which turned into tears of laughter when reading Pen's 'story' in the post straight after! :crackup:

My own story is rather cute too...

I was working as a Veterinary nurse and my future hubby bought his cattle dog in for a vaccination. He was very cute and had the most gorgeous curly dark hair (I'm a sucker for curls bear_wub ). I  noticed immediatley that he was wearing plaster on his foot and so this was a great conversation starter and I found myself hoping the Vet would take his time with the 'patient' he was with.

Anyway, the feeling must have been mutual beacuse over the next few weeks Chris brought his dog to the vets three times...and it wasn't sick! I couldn't work out why he wouldn't ring me and ask me out...but decided he was just too shy. His dog hadn't been 'sick' for 6 weeks in a row when out of the blue I got a phone call from him. He finally asked me out...which turns out was a real act of courage on his behalf (I think it was fate myself!) because he told me he had rung four weeks earlier to ask me out and had spoken to my brother (who was then 15). I was away at a work training weekend and my brother FORGOT to tell me Chris had rung! So for him to ring yet again when he probably thought I wasn't interested was amaing to me and to this day he admits he doesn't know where he got the courage to pick up the phone and try again. 
I think it was God's hand at work. Chris is my absolute best friend and soul mate and I could never have asked for a more caring and loving husband. We just celebrated our 18th wedding anniversay and have three great kids. Life is sweet! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
Here is my man and me last month in Vanuatu.

meandcread.jpg

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh Hayley - your husband is GORGEOUS!!!!  Lucky lucky girl - just the type of looks I like in a man LOL
Great stories - gives me hope to meet my soul mate   bear_sad

I'm a romantic at heart and just loved these stories!
Danni

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I worked with my future husband for many years, and we were purely friends.  I never thought of him as anything else, as he was 24 years older than me.  One day, we both came to work with devastating news, Bernie's wife of 28 years had just been diagnosed with Liver Cancer, and my father had just been diagnosed with Bowel Cancer.  We spent the next four months comparing notes each day as to their treatment, operations and generally being a rock to each other as we were both going through such terrible times.  Unfortunately, Bernie's wife died about 6 months later.  My father was lucky enough to pull through.

Bernie was devastated, and suffered terribly for many months after losing his life partner.  After about a year after his wife's death, he told me how lonely he was and would I like to go out on the weekend.  I hesitated a moment, but said yes, just as a friend.  Well, we had such a wonderful time, and laughed and enjoyed it so much, we decided to do it again the next weekend.  Well, to get to the chase, we were married 3 years later and then 3 years after that Bernie became a father at the ripe old age of 58.  You would never find a more brilliant husband or father than my Bernie, and even though there is a 24 year age gap, I have never really noticed it.  I considered long and hard before I married a man so much older than me, but it was the best thing I ever did, and I now have a gorgeous husband and a gorgeous 10 year old daughter.

Penn Valley, CA
WildCatDancer wrote:

Awwwww! So many of us seemed to have known very shortly that we had found our life partners. I envy those of you who found them so young, I would have loved to have all those extra years with Kerry. Sadly, I had to learn that I deserved a nice man, which was I lesson I took a long time in learning!

DITTO THAT ! ! !

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

My story is not anything special. I had gone to a dance with a friend (female) and this guy started talking to my friend. They spoke for a while and then I was introduced to Philip. My friend had told him it was going to be my birthday and she had invited him to the party...what party!...who the heck was this guy! I didn't know him from Adam. I took my friend to one side and asked her why she had invited him to a party that wasn't even arranged. She laughed and said well you should have a party he'll suit you. I couldn't believe it, I had been set up with a complete stranger. Stupid as I was, I went along with it. I then stood talking to Philip for a while. We were at a dance and I hadn't gone there just to chat so I asked him to dance. The following weekend he turned up at my house for the much rushed, what have I done party. We have been together ever since. Many years of marriage and five children later I still can't believe that my friend set me up that way.  bear_grin

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I am just loving reading these! I had Sean reading them last night, too, and he was getting a kick out of it as well!
I added pictures to mine. I've got the eighties super-permed hair bear_laugh

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

I met Rob through my ex. I have known Rob for about 6 years, and we have been together for 3 years, although it feels like forever (in a good way).

Not married yet. But he knows that I want to be married before I'm 30.  bear_tongue pic_by_paul_ivison.jpg

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

such fun! My hubby and I met in High School. 11th grade I was going out with John......David was in a class with me and listened as I complained about John. 12th grade, I would get into class early and David & I would talk. Unknown to me at the time, he decided he could never go out with me because of my bad habit of biting my nails. BUT! go out we did.....He asked me to the play at the High School, I sounded unsure (had to check my calendar) but inside was shouting YES! He told his family that night he had a date for the play, they all looked at him and said "With a Girl???" He was always with his friends either bowling or other man-activities.

When we graduated High School, he went to a community college in New York, I went to a 4-year college in Tennessee......everyone thought it would end there, but it didn't! He came down to visit me and as I was showing him where he was going to stay, he takes out this box and says: "Now will you marry me you creep?" I laughed, cried, and said yes....that was in 1971, we got married in '74, and life continues. Still some surprises at times......

When David came to pick me up for that first date, my father was in another room while David sat on the couch waiting for me. They were talking, my father asking all the 'fatherly' questions. Dad asked if David was interested in Accounting (his brother was going to college for accounting) David said no, so my father pokes his head around the corner, and calls him a No Account......then goes back into the room he was working in! This past July while celebrating my parents 60th anniversary, my father said David is no longer a No Account!
T_F_D.jpg

This is a picture of our daughter, Tina, her hubby Francis, and David at a winery in Spokane, WA.
pandamac

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Penny and Dilu...you guys absolutley crack me up.

Hayley your hubby is very handsome.....

all your stories are very heart warming.

I forgot to add that one day, while milking cows, Mark said he wanted to ask me something after milking. I knew he was going to ask me.  So at the bottom of the basement stairs he said he wanted to give me ring.  Not the most romantic proposal but he has been a great husband and father for ten years. bear_wub

Kimmy, your wedding photo is gorgeous. bear_thumb  bear_flower

Penn Valley, CA

042-WinCE.jpgCopy-of-c044-tracy-grandpa-WinCE.jpg12a-126-t-Small-WinCE.JPG00084-little-Tracy-by-staircase00-WinCE.jpgWell, this isn't my story but it's so cute I have to share.  My dad built his and my mom's home in the mountains when he retired.  When my daughter was 8 years old, she was watching my dad build the spiral staircase.  He told her, "Tracy, my dream is to one day see one of my girls come down this staircase in her wedding dress."  When Tyson asked Tracy to marry him, she said , "YES, but we have to get married at my grandparents' home so I can fulfill my grandpa's wish.

First pic:  Tracy on staircase under construction 1987
Second pic:  Tracy on staircase 2003
Third pic:  Tracy and my dad
Fourth pic: TNT

By the way, Tracy and Tyson met at church.  Tyson's sister, Tiffany who is married to Terry, told Tyson, "She's a keeper, her name starts with T."  His other sister is Tammy and brother Tyler.  We refer to Tracy and Tyson as TNT.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Oh what terific, funny and romantic stories. 
My hubby and I met when I was 16 in grade 11 and he was 17 in grade 12 .  It was the first dance of the school year in September 1983.  I saw this cute guy in tight white pants  bear_wub part way through the night and we kept looking at each other .  Eventually we started  dancing as a group with other friends. I kept waiting for him to ask me to slow dance. He was terribly shy but  FINALLY the last dance of the night he asked me.   For the next 2 weeks we would see each other in the hall at school and smile.  At the next dance we were inseparable and have been ever since.   We would always leave cute little love notes in each others lockers.   bear_happy

He went off to university the next year I was still in grade 12.  Every day he would run from the university to the ferry terminal ( a 30 minute run nonstop) , catch the ferry, then take a bus to my school just so he could spent 10 minutes with me before I caught my bus to go home.   I'll never forget that !  He would be so exhausted ,but it was so worth that 10 minutes- well for me anyway - then again I wasn't the one running like a mad person  :crackup:  :crackup:   Needless to say he was happy when I went off to the same university the next year.  We dated for 6 years and married in 1990.  Now 16 years later we are still together with 2 terrific kids.  I feel like we have grown up together, through good and bad times.  He is such a wonderful man.

wedding.jpg

Board footer