Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

majdle Posts: 130
Website

Hi girls...
you wouldn´t believe it, but designing and making a teddy can hurt like hell.
I got a special business to do - I need to make a big sweet bear with "Your night protector" written on his paw, all the most expensive mohair and all top...normally, that would be something, I´d be looking forward to, but this time it is different.
It´s for a certain man who used to be my special someone (not that long ago) and who I´m still not exactly over...and he wants it well..guess for who? Yes, for another woman. So this is the hardest challenge I´ve ever faced in my bear making life.
Wish me luck, so that I don´t create a beast that will give that poor girl nightmares, but a nice loving companion. After all, she must be really cool. But gosh, it is just SOOO tough.  bear_cry  bear_cry

lulubears Posts: 280

I would take the order for the bear as a huge compliment!  While it is tough to move forward sometimes, it seems as those he does appreciate and admire your work enough to commission you for one of your pieces.  With all of the bear artists he could have approached, he chose you!  He obviously knows that you take great pride in your work and will present him with a wonderfully finished piece.  Congratulations on taking the high road and doing this special bear.

Hugs,
Luann

Website

Thanks:-) I´m not that good, but I´m the only one in this country. But on the oher hand...the market is mine:-)

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Oh, that must be SO difficult!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Whew! That is painful!!!   :hug:   :hug: I thought you were going to say that you had carpal tunnel syndrome or had stuck yourself with your needle or something!

True that it is a great complement. But I'd say your ex is asking A LOT!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Make him a nice sweet bear but make sure you charge him double the amount you normally charge-that will help you through it bear_whistle
Laurie :hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

You are a much nicer person than me...I'd tell him to make it himself!!!
I'm a hard hearted cow aren't I?

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Mooooo...I guess I'm a hard hearted cow too, Jenny. I'd tell him how to make it too... probably in a very "descriptive" way. bear_whistle

Your a very strong woman Majdle, just don't let anyone take advantage of your obvious good nature and kindness.  (that charging double suggestion sounds good!!)

:hug:
~Chrissi

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I'm with Laurie and Chrissi, I'd charge double, or maybe even triple ! ! !  :twisted:   And don't accidentally leave any pins in.  That wouldn't be nice.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon
jenny wrote:

I'm sorry...but I'm with you, Jenny. 
Mooooooooo!!!!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

That does sound like a tough challenge, Majdle, but good for you for rising above your pain and attempting this. It could be a very healing step for you as well to really make you realize that the relationship is indeed finished and it is time for you to move on. Some of the toughest things we have to live through are what really make us grow and become better people. Being vengeful never makes you feel good about yourself but challenging yourself to do your best work on this will leave you feeling very good about yourself and a stronger person for it - just work on making the best bear you can and try not to dwell on who it is for, would be my suggestion.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

WOW, good for you.  You seem to be successfully reframing an uncomfortable situation and turning it into an adventure of self understanding and strength.  I'd say it shows you have gumption and grit.  Congratulations on a big step in healing...this is a special bear!

You are a special gal!!

gollyhugs

dilu

beary_clairey Luton

I'm with you Jenny too. If me and my hubby split up and he wanted a bear for his new love, I'd kick him where it hurts most - or in the wallet and charge him an extortianate amount of money for the pleasure!!

M'wah ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

LOL

Claire

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Wow!  I'm another one who gets stabbed with a leather needle each and every bear I make, but I've never been stabbed through the heart like that to make a bear  bear_cry   Sometimes with guys I don't think they *really* think the whole thing through....they can be awfully dense sometimes. 

Sending you massive hugs  :hug:   Just go ahead and make her the best bear you possibly can ~ and realize there's someone out there that's far, far better for you  bear_flower

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

For the emotional pain and suffering you will endure while making this bear.... CHARGE HIM TRIPPLE!!!!

I applaud you.  You are a very kind and giving soul. I coudn't do it. He's got some nerve to ask you. The two of you obviously split up on good terms. Again, a sign of your generous personality.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

1.  Majdle, you are my new personal growth role model, saying things like, "... after all, she must be really cool..." 

Ya know, I did the leaving in my last relationship and it was a pleasure and a relief to get out of that marriage.  But breakups are hard and anger is usually in ample supply when people split up. In my case, despite being the leavER and not the leavEE, I STILL found enough anger at my ex to call his girlfriend a "hideous stick insect."  Yes I did.  You betcha.  Well, not to HER... I am too nice for that :)... but to him.  "Hideous stick insect" is a pretty far cry from "after all, she must be really cool." 

2.  Your ex's request defines the term "passive/aggressive," especially the "night protector" part.  Ouch!, you brave and sweet thing.

3.  Please have a giant, highly caloric chocolate SOMETHING immediately.  Consider it medication.

4.  These are for you:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Best of luck Majdle and You are a very sweet Lady to make a bear for your ex.
I am with the others charge him heaps.

Hugs
Carolyn
:hug:  bear_flower  :hug:

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Well you are a MUCH stronger and nicer person than me..........I'd be saying I'm booked up or too busy or something. I just could NOT bring myself to do it.

However there could be a bright side.......they may break up and he'll remember what a sweet nice person you are and come back......now there's a daydream!!  Maybe there is a bigger plan!!

Or a super gorgeous hunk, will see the bear you make and just have to meet you and he'll be 10 times nicer than the first one......

Karma.........will always bring the silver lining......... :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

You just have to believe........in karma..... :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :hug:  :hug:  :dance:

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

That must be very difficult!  I'm sure you will do a wonderful job. :hug:  :hug:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ouch!  I can imagine that would hurt!  He must have great respect for you. I also think he mustn't realise just how much he means to you.  Ahh men!

Do a great bear - be proud that you did it, and did it with such style.  I also admire how you said she must be pretty cool!!!  I'm with Shelli though, I would be more likely to call one of my exs new gfs a hideous stick insect! LOL  Or worste, I take after my mother!!   :crackup:  :crackup:

Good for you!
Danni

Website

Hmmmm.... maybe I´ll let him order his own mohair for starters because the oh-so beautiful pieces I bought at Euro Teddy...I just don´t wanna part with them that way:-)) Thank you gals, I was laughing my butt off while reading your replies..and that´s exactly what I need.
Yes, we did break up at good terms - and I was the leavER, too, after he told me he just was with me to forget about another chick he had loved. And it was exactly on Christmas day (what a great present!). But he bought me really expensive underwear (I never wanted it!) and even though he´d told me he loved this other chick, he wanted me to send him pictures of me in the black underwear..Well, needles to say, he didn´t get ANY. I just told him that I sensed there was something wrong and that I won´t let him hurt me anymore with his lies and insensivity (or what else would you call a guy who tells you "you can go home and walk your dogs now" not even 5 minutes after sex)But I didn´t cause any scene or anything, I managed to wear a bright smile on my face.
His friends say he was really depressed after the broke up. Well yeah, it´s not like he´s such a s-o-b, he has problems with himslef,but that doesn´t give him the right to hurt me. So I left, but we stayed friends..

Website
jenny wrote:

no, you´re not!
I´ll make that bear, I won´t give him an ego party with "Oh I can´t do it." I bet that´s exactly what he wants to hear. So I´ll make that bear.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I still wouldn't make it. Even if he did think it was because my heart wouldn't let me do it...because I think it's nasty of him to even ask and he shouldn't put you in that situation.
I was the leaver in my first marriage...because of a multitude of things. It's now 19 years since we split up and now we're good friends and I am friends with his partner.
But my expereince of relationships is that people cling to old relationships  incase they want to go back there in the future and so doing something like this and staying 'friends' means the door is left ajar for the future. I think that when a relationship is truly over you couldn't care less about what they are doing because you've moved on emotionally. It sounds like you are still sore about this and that's why you have to deal with it in your own way..and if you find that making that bear is healing then do it.

But I would probably get a teddy and chop it up into little pieces and send it piece by piece  through the post with a note saying 'This'll be you  if you don't leave me alone' ( just before anyone thinks I am serious..I am only joking!!!!)....But seriously I couldn't do it because I'd have to just get on with my life and forget him.

But then we're all different...Vive le difference!! (Iwouldn't chop a teddy up either by the way!!!)

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Initially my reaction was the same as Jenny's, but then I remembered I did a similar thing not so long ago.  As I processed the credit card payment I had a big satisfied grin on my face ... he didn't get a penny discount and in the end I did the commission because I decided his money was the same as everyone else's and I was having a tight month! 

If the new girlfriend doesn't throw the bear at his head, I'll be very surprised!  Like Jenny, I think the reason my ex wanted me to make a bear in this way was simply to keep in touch and keep the door open with me.  Not a hope.  Men are simple creatures!

Website

Renae, you rock!!!
Have you ever considered a career as a writer of those "Mars and Venus" books?
Yeah, you´re right. She probably will be a lot like me and I have nothing against HER: it´s him who I have something against.
And besides that - poor girl - she´ll have to put up with his overprotective mother he´s still living with and polish her furniture just-the-way-she-likes-it for the rest of her life. And she´ll be lucky if her little King Oidipus even moves out of his Mom´s house..Maybe when he´s 40. So I suppose the bear will be her ONLY night protector.

Board footer