Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Okay, so it wasn't really a cabbage leaf. It was really our storage shed, but aint he cute? Sorry the pictures aren't better but he just wouldn't cooperate and stand still.

raven2.jpg

raven3.jpg

The poor little fellow wouldn't let me get close to him at first but I started feeding him and hunger quickly won out over caution. After a few days I was able to pet him and was shocked to find he was nothing but a walking skeleton under all that fluffy fur! bear_cry I could feel every fragile little bone in his body! Something must have happened to his mother before he was even weaned. He was still just a baby when I found him but obviously hadn't eaten in a very long time. Poor baby!
Well, naturally I set about trying to fatten him up and make friends. It's been a few weeks now and although he still has his moments of skittishness, he is becomeing quite cuddy and is a real purr machine.
And he is changing color!! He was very black at first but now he has all these white hairs scattered throughout his coat and he seems to keep getting more! Has anyone ever seen a cat change colors like this? I've seen horses do it (appaloosas and roans) but not cats. Here is what he looks like now. A bit fatter too. lol!

raven.jpg

It is not unusual to see stray cats around here. There are several neighborhood cats and a few feral cats roaming around. It is unusual to see one so young and all alone. I'm glad he took refuge under our shed (I know he wasn't born there) and I found him. This one has totally stolen my heart but I am just an ole softie. bear_laugh

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

oh my gosh, he is just too adorable, what a lovely find.

Lynette

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Awwww....what a darling little kitty.  I have never heard of a kitten changing color so extreme.  I have seen them lighten or darker from their original color.

Cute cute cute

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Bonnie, I gather the colour change is due to nutrician. Poor wee mite   :hug:
Your a good ole stick for being such a softy :hug:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ooooooooh what a gorgeous kitten - you lucky duck!!!!!!!!   He is ADORABLE!  Look at that pot belly now!!   bear_wub

You are a wonderful lady Bonnie!
Danni

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

whrn I saw the pics of this cutie kitty when you found him, he looked so much like our Anubis (the only difference is that Anubis was properly fed).

I am so glad he found you and that you adopted him.
This colour change is very surprising.
Let's wait and see what he looks like when 6 months old!

Well done!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

majdle Posts: 130
Website

Oh wow. he is sooo cute! And you are so kind that you´ve adopted that poor baby. This could be a new thread here, but it seems to me that the bear people are really extrordinary. Like when I was in Germany for Euro Teddy, complete strangers invited me for a great breakfast with other complete strangers. This lady just spread a beautiful tablecloth over her car hood and we were munching on her sandwiches and talking like old friends. And to be honest with you, I really appreciated it since I had spent the previous night on the train (it took me 16 hrs to get there).
And so many of us just love animals. And that´s why I love being around you girls!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Bonnie what a lovely looking kitten. What a lucky kitty to have found you, he obviously knew where to go to find a soft hearted person....

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

He certainly is a cutie!!! You have a wonderful heart Bonnie!  :hug:

I'd agree with Wendy about his colour change - it would be down to the good nutrition he is getting now. Have you noticed him molting alot?

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_wub Awwwwwhhhhhhhh!!!  bear_wub   What a cutie!!!  How could you not want to feed him up?  What a lucky little fellow to have come to you...look at all that food  bear_tongue   When he's healthy enough, you might want to deworm him as well.  I know Mister has had quite the worm burden from being a stray, and from catching his own meals. 

He's soooooo cute!   bear_wub  What are you going to name him??

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

He is a lovely cat and it is great here on teddy talk to see so many people that take on these stray cats and dogs so that they can have the loving homes that they deserve.Maybe someone here knows the reason behind his colour change.
Laurie :hug:

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Awwww... what a little sweetheart!

Kim Basta

beary_clairey Luton

What a beautiful little creature and I think those white hairs just make him look even more gorgeous !!!

Thank God there are people in the world like you Bonnie!!!!

Big Hugs

Claire

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Sounds like you are the new MOMMY !!!!  How cute !!! I love CATS bear_grin

Celena Oxford

Such a CUTIE!  I love cats too  bear_wub  This kitty lucky to have found you.  bear_original

Beary hugs
Celena

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Thank heavens you found him!  He is so cute!

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

I love this little kitty! Please keep us updated on his coat progression; I am completely intrigued that it's changing color!

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

What a lovely little find!!  We are blessed to have the little furballs from wherever they come.  What a fanciful story you could write about this kitten.....under the cabbage leaf and with his ever changing coat.  Maybe he was put under the leaf by fairies!!  I believe, do you?   bear_original

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Oooo, I loooooove that kitty!!  I'm a sucker for those dark mocha-ish long haired cats.  And he's a handsome one!  Yes, please do keep us updated on the coat color change.  I wanna see if he ends up WHITE!! lol

Kimberly W.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Such a sweet kitty, Bonnie and how lucky that he has found a loving home.

Hugs
Carolyn

bear_flower

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Oh, he is so adorable!!! Never heard of a kitten changing color like that - sure looks good though! I almost didn't look at this thread - thought it might be a gross looking bug or a mouse or something like that -  bear_grin Cats I love!!!  bear_wub

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Oh, ladies, you always make me smile! It is good to be able to come to a place where everyone loves fur babies and warm fuzzies. :hug:  :hug:   You all remind me that there are still lots of wonderful people in the world in spite of what the news programs spout daily.

Magda, what a wonderful story! I imagine that breakfast tasted all the better because of the spirit of sharing that went with it.

Before the kitten started changing color we named him 'Ravenpaw' after a character in one of my son's favorite books. The name has stuck even though it doesn't seem as appropriate now. I guess it's no worse than a black dog named Daisy! lol! What a fun and motley crew I have. bear_rolleyes I love them though!

I hadn't thought about nutrition being responsible for the color change. I haven't noticed him molting or shedding more than normal. Whatever it is I think he's a handsome fellow.  It will be interesting to see if he continues to change. Kimberly, I wondered if he would turn completely white too. Wouldn't that be strange? Good thing I took pictures, or no one would believe me!

Renae, that is one beautiful Persian! Wow. Maybe Raven has a bit of persian in him somewhere. It's funny because he doesn't look anything like any of the cats I've ever seen around here.

Maybe he is a fairy kitten, Aleta. He certainly has a magical personality. He even gets along with all the dogs and loves to play with the puppy.

Debbie, you are right about the worming. I have already taken anti-worm precautions. The next step is a trip to the vet for shots and (shhhhhhh) getting fixed. He's a little tomcat and I want to keep him from roaming around as much as possible. Too many coyotes around here. Now that I've found him it would break my heart to lose him!

Thanks for letting me share my new little 'find.'

Many hugs,
Bonnie

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Bonnie, what a precious little guy. I'm so happy he found you and is getting healthy. My sister rescued a kitten maybe a month and a half ago. Poor little thing was left behind. Mama took the other kittens and never came back for her.  bear_cry But luckily my sis found her and she is doing great now. She was solid black at first, but her fur has changed too. She's going to be long-haired so she is pretty furry now. Anyway, if you part her fur you can see the color change. It's a nice light grey color at the base and black on the tips...very cool!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

AAAAHHHHHH Bonnie what a cutie!    He must have come to you for a reason and I know what you mean about a skeleton under all that fur.  When our Shamu kitty arrived and adopted us he too was so bony I was afraid to hurt him when I picked him up.  That was in August and now he is big and frisky as ever.... constantly ambushing our dog and other cat.

I love the last photo.  I wonder how he will turn out when he is full grown.  bear_thumb

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Being a breeder of pedigree cats I know that it can be awfull to register colours of your cats! When they are young they change so much before they get to 6 months then keep changing till 3 years of age. I'm sure it's his guard hairs probably coming through.

I have once known a cat who went to get spayed. She went ginger, Came back shaved... Once the hair had grown back, The once shaved patch had projuced BLACK hair!

Richy~

Board footer