Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Hi,

I got my needle felting kit and i'm addicted... I have made head, Ears and body with a breeze, Came to feet. Made the first one like a beauty! Made the second one to big and just wouldn't felt anymore, Added wool, Cut some off, Added cut some off felted some more and nothing, Started a new one and that's not anything like the others either! I have three legs and no one matches each other LOL I broke my first needle too, 38. UGH! 4th time lucky?

I'll keep you posted... With pictures soon ;)

Richy~

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Richy,
Ahhh yes...you are really an addict now...having spare body parts seems a common problem...keep on trying...you will get it...and perhaps have parts for more to come bear_whistle As for breaking needles...I broke about 4 when I was first starting, but it's been nearly a year since I broke another...always keep spares though...I had to learn not to get too anxious & poke slower...that worked for me! Can't wait for  :photo:
Hugs &

Teddy Tales My Teddy Tales
Massachusetts

I use to do the same thing when I started. I had spare parts also. What I started doing was taking the same amount of wool for each leg/arm and found it to be easier, I haven't had a spare part since. It works for me!

Massachusetts

I hope I said that  right.  I pull out the wool for each piece  and put them aside( so I know I have the same amount , instead of  pulling out the amount one at a time as Im making a leg or an arm).

Adkins, Texas

I actually have a gram scale...from my beadwork days...and it makes it easy to get the same exact amount of wool for each limb...pretty fussy sometimes...lol...I knew exactly what you meant!!!

Hugs &

newbearland Christchurch, New Zealand

Ahh yes the joys of needle felting - I usually complete the head, body and one leg and one arm and then put it all away for weeks till I begrudgingly get it out again to do the other arm and leg....and then they take about 3 times longer to do than the originals.  Putting aside the wool is a good idea....but usually I find that by the time I get the piece out again the wool I have put aside has found it's way back into the bag with the rest of the wool.  :crackup:

Adkins, Texas

lol...yes..wool does have a tendancy to return to it's group I think...either that or the silly puppy finds it...lol

Hugs &

Massachusetts

Sorry, I meant put it aside , while your making  your bear. I like to finish my bears the same day. Like you said it will never find its way back.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

OK possums, here's what I do. As the rest of you do I seperate the fibre to make each body part.
THEN I will make the arms together. I will needle them to a certain stage and the catch the other arm up. Then carry on to a further stage. Again I needle the other one to catch it up. Do the same for each body part that has a double. Even ears.  Then if you wish to make a twin......... again same way.....do them together. bear_thumb    IT WORKS EVERY TIME
Have fun with your addictions :hug:  bear_grin  :dance:
Wendy

PS: Dont forget to sterilise your needles !!!!! We dont want infected fingers. Blood poisoning can be fatal.
I dont mean to scare you, but it is important. Also, dont share your needles. Buy extra if you have to and put them away till the day comes that someone wants you to teach them Needle Felting. That day always comes.
End of Lecture, go have fun kiddies bear_thumb

Adkins, Texas

Wendy & All,
That is actually what I do too, and here is a picture from a project I have been working on. It shows the process for the armsnewFC007.JPG
Hope it helps!

Hugs &

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Toby it's a time consuming process of repeated jabbing, with the barbed needles, which actually ends up matting and bonding the fibers together.  When you do it long enough you can get a very firm smooth finish.  Here is one of my bears with felted details done right on the mohair.Baby_Sherwood_26.jpg

It's a satisfying way to add expression and extensive detail to your work. bear_flower

Adkins, Texas

Toby,
Yes...don't share your needles & be up to date on your tetanus shot...is what I have heard all over...working with metal & wool...so on & so forth...
as for how I get from the the lumpy mishappen wool to the leg piece...first...it makes a big difference in what wool you are using..I use core wool from Edinburgh Imports...and then it's a matter of poking & rolling ..turning & poking...up & down...with like a 36T needle...then a 38S needle... Does this make any sense?

Hugs &

WA

Another beautiful picture Judy.  bear_wub I just adore your bears. Now that I'm more advanced with my needle felting I can fully appreciate the amount of work and concentration that goes into one of your creations. :hug:
Toby as Charlotte said , core wool from Ed Imports is a good starting fibre for the novice.
I now order my fibres from FLEECEWOOD in NZ.  I have some wonderful corriedale and I received the other week some mid moorit halfbreed that felts like a dream, and some pale moorit leicester sliver.These felt  up firmly within minutes. The natural colours are just beautiful.
I know!!! this is way too much info for you at the moment.
If you are serious in this needle felting and wish to ad detail to your mohair bears. Then it is worth while in enrolling in Judis course on Ebearz.
It is the very best NFelting course you could ever wish for. Judis course is a brilliant foundation course on adding details.
I know!!!! It sounds like I'm butt kissing again!!! :redface:  :redface:
I certainly dont mean to be. I just highly recommend this course for those that are serious about progressing their felting forward.
I have seen many TTers go onto developing their own professional styles after completing Judis course.
But then I dont think  there has ever been a forum like TT. Where you can arrive as a novice and by the year end be a polished professional. YES I have seen it happen 'right here' 'many times' on TT.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

WA

It does doesnt it Toby.  bear_grin   Since different fibres give a diffferent look I found it necessary to have a knowledgable supplier close at hand. I'm now learning about the different fibres and which needles are best suited to them.   It seems quite daunting at first. With familiarity it becomes easier.
eg: I was given some sliver and only one needle out of my 20 will penetrate it. ....Go figure.  I was making pompoms on strings and it was hell. bear_grin

Board footer