Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Pages:
gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

YES I DO.................i really hate cats.

Fluffy, Puffy Cheeks, Big Coloured Eyes, Little Mouths, TeenyWeeny T-shaped noses, Whiskers.

Can i make one?

Bugger can i !  :twisted:

I know i can, i'm almost there but i can't get it to look how i want it to look.
I have a picture in my head and i have a picture on a scrap of paper that i had drawn but getting it into a 3D animal is driving me nuts.

Anyone who has been here a long time may remember me going on about this grand idea i had to make a big huggy quite realistic cat - it only ever got to the 'crash test dummy stage' and still sits lumpily, in my studio..........................i am trying again. It's one of those projects that i keep going back to you know, the body is fine no problems............it's that bloody FACE!!!!!!!
I want a perfect face and i don't know what that perfect face is yet. It's doomed is'nt it?

sigh

just letting off steam

Penny - the cat hater  :crackup:

catjumpcomputer.gif

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

keep perservering Penny.....

maybe this is proof that cats whether real or stuffed will alway dictate on THEIR terms not ours.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Penny...I had the same thing with a squirrel I designed. I started by making a rabbit and struggled to make it 'rabbity'...but after much swearing and telling my army of 'critics' to 'do one' i did get the head right. Then I did the squirrel ...which after one go looked even more like a rabbit than the rabbit did....then the next one looked like a fox (watch this space)..finally after packing my bags and threatening to leave I managed to get a squirrel who looked like a squirrel.
The cat I found was  ok..but that I think comes from the fact that whenever I do a fair I get all the cat lovers  ( and dog lovers!!) oohing and aahing saying that my bears look,' just like our Fluffy'..so it's no surprise really, is it!!

sarahjane Brisbane

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Penny you are sooo funny!!!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I've several outside cats I could send you......to muck about in the garden and pose magestically for your gazing pleasure.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I agree with you Penny.  I have found it very hard to 'capture' a cat.  I can't explain it but I can never draw, paint etc. a cat that I am satisfied with.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Cat Goes to Heaven

One day a cat dies of natural causes and goes to heaven. There he meets the Lord Himself. The Lord says to the cat, "You lived a good life and if there is any way I can make your stay in Heaven more comfortable, please let Me know." The cat thinks for a moment and says, "Lord, all my life I have lived with a poor family and had to sleep on a hard wooden floor." The Lord stops the cat and says, "Say no more," and a wonderful fluffy pillow appears.

A few days later, six mice are killed in a tragic farming accident and go to heaven. Again, there is the Lord there to great them with the same offer. The mice answer, "All of our lives we have been chased. We have had to run from cats, dogs and even women with brooms. Running, running, running; we're tired of running. Do you think we could have roller skates so we don't have to run anymore?" The Lord says, "Say no more," and fits each mouse with beautiful new roller skates.

About a week later the Lord stops by to see the cat and finds him snoozing on the pillow. The Lord gently wakes the cat and asks him, "How are things since you got here?"

The cat stretches and yawns and replies, "It is wonderful here. Better than I could have ever expected. And those 'Meals On Wheels' you've been sending by are the best!" bear_tongue

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Just sums cats up really, a law unto themselves and do what they want. Don't worry I'm having a penguin problem at the moment.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Penny, I have to laugh because I have had a lovely but headless portrait of my long haired black cat sitting on my sewing table waiting to be finished for weeks now. He is my son's birthday present (his birthday was October 7). Thankfully, Brendan is patient. I also have two heads which I have dubbed "practice" since they didn't turn out quite the way I had hoped. I even started out with a great pattern (since I will not be offering it for sale I didn't design my own pattern, but used Lisa Pay's "Sassy" pattern). I will have to alter the head pattern though... Anyway, we'll get through it and have to have a show and tell when we are finished! Here is what Cinder looks like now...It actually looks so much like his body and fur, I feel I have to get the head just right!
20061103_0006.JPG

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I've never tried to make a cat, but this rotten one sitting on my lap is driving me crazy! She won't sit still, she's contsantly kneading me with her paws, which doesn't feel very good at all since those sharp claws are sticking out.

I'll have to agree that it's definitely not your fault, blame the cat. And when that cat is good and ready, it'll all come together for you, Penny. bear_original

HA HA HA - at least i am not alone!!!!  :dance:

Tami - you gotta show me the finished article.........that body looks great!

Dilu - you know i would love to take some off of your hands but Terry would have a fit!!! He says "No more Pets!" yeah right hee hee

Amanda - love that joke! Poor old meeces huh. My cats are so old a mouse could kick them up the bum and go 'nah nah nah nah naah' at them and they would'nt budge!

Millie - ain't that so? Cats are a sooo sort of....umm......hard to.....humph.........elusive little beasts to capture! Definitely.

Jenny - your squirrel was superb, as was your bunny which i adored, but i don't think i ever saw your pussy.  bear_tongue

Melissa, Sarah Jane and Sandi..............cats are without a doubt the most annying little beasts but i'm gonna nail myself one someday soon!

beta157.gif

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Penny, you'll get there! Keep at it! :hug: And then show us pics. :photo:  bear_smile

Tami, I can't wait to see your finished kitty! :photo: It's looking great so far.

I made three kitties a few years ago. They're tough, but fun! I knew I couldn't get them quite realistic, so I figured I would do my own interpretation of God's creation. bear_innocent  bear_laugh Here is the third one I made, named Oolong after oolong tea (I love tea!). He's pattened after a Tonkinese or Siamese cat. I wish my photos from that time (predigital camera days) were better--he has lovely sculpted paw pads that aren't showing up too well!

oolong.jpg

Bear hugs,
Debora

Milford Ohio

Debra, I love your kitty! His paws are very nicely sculpted!

Kingfisher Farm Teddies Kingfisher Farm Teddies and Folk Art
Illinois

You girls crack me up. Penny I knew you werent serious when I read your title........my cats are very primitive looking..........and I find that it is hard to make a simple cat.......since cats are complex lol. Pam

Oh Tammy.......do you like your old white?? What model is it??

Milford Ohio

Pam I do like my White. Its a 656(I think or is it 565?)  and I got it from my grandmother. I also recently got an od Singer 600 from the early 60s which was my mom's and I love it too. Both are very heavy thus not at all portable. It's very handy having two.

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Thanks, Tami.  :hug: I also painted the backs of his eyes to get more of a teal color to match a Tonkinese cat's eyes. Edited to show a small shot of a Tonkinese:

tonkinese.jpg

I used to work on my aunt's old sewing machine, but it gave me fits and made odd wads of thread on the backside of the fabric...then I worked on my mom's old Kenmore, and it wasn't much better. Then I used Mom's "newer" digital machine, and found I hated it too, so I finally bought my own Pfaff Hobby 1040 model a few years ago--and now the only problem is operator error! :crackup: I really need something that magnifies the sewing area so I can see it. I hate ripping out seams!! bear_angry

well, i shoved the big fat cat-in-waiting back on the shelf - picked meself up, dusted meself off and made......................TA DAAAAAA...............a little cat.

I know i know, i should'nt give up so easily but i thought better to make a little kitty that actually looks even remotely like a cat than keep battling on with a whopper cat that looks like a Gnu ha ha.

I will be putting my little 'Opoponax Cat' on eBay as soon as i get the BLOODY EARS sorted out - why do ears always bug me so much huh huh?

He is cute though, even El Tel said "oh that's a cute little kitten" when he saw him so he must look a bit like a cat must'nt he?

I want more cat though - PenPen is on a Pussy Mission  :dance:

Penny  bear_tongue

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Penny, I think I posted a picture of it on the showcase....LOL!!!

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

I'm working on a mouse  bear_grin  No cats...

jenny wrote:

Penny, I think I posted a picture of it on the showcase....LOL!!!

Oh i'll have to go have a look at that Jen  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  exhibitionist !

Joan..........let's get them together, promise my kitty won't eat him bear_tongue

Penny

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

hmmm,  bear_whistle  right, Penny  bear_grin

Joan

Celena Oxford

Way to go!! Can't wait to see your 'Opoponax Cat'....I'm sure you get MORE cat hee hee after the little cat...Best wishes on your "Pussy Mission"  bear_happy

Beary hugs
Celena

I STILL HATE 'EM..................just in case anyone was wondering  :twisted:

A cat's head just hit the wall here, it now looks almost exactly how i wanted it to look in the first place but i bet i won't be able to get it to look like that intentionally.
I have also been making polymer cats noses...........i burnt i batch, droppped a 'perfect' nose on the floor and it got covered in fluff from the mohair so it had to go in the bin and the thought i had earlier of making claws has just driven me to hitting the bottle - c'mon it's gone 6 pm, surely i ain't a lush yet?!?!

Help me O sane ones of Teddy-Talk land, i am going loopy here!

Penny  bear_cry  bear_sad  bear_angry

beary_clairey Luton

Oh Penny you crack me up !!!! I bet its anarchy sewing in your room !!!

lol  :crackup:

Hugs

Claire

beary_clairey wrote:

Oh Penny you crack me up !!!! I bet its anarchy sewing in your room !!!

lol  :crackup:

Hugs

Claire

Yeah it can be anarchy sometimes Claire. BUT...................TAAAA DAAAAAA - i think i have cracked it!!!!!  :dance:

After a really bad day yesterday (i just could'nt get anything right) i finally think i am on the brink of making a cat that looks as i want it to.
Here's a pic anyways, feel free to laugh or go Yuk! ha ha ha

dimity.jpg

She/he still does'nt have any ears and there is a bit of trimming to be done to the chin area but i am pretty happy with it so far. Fingers crossed i don't ruin it with over zealous scissor sculpting!!!!! It took me ages to make that blooming nose, it's sooo small, i think i must have dropped it 50 times whilst trying to attach it. The fiished cat will be about 9" - 10" high so the head is actually quite small but fat - very fat ha ha ha

Penny  bear_tongue

Pages:

Board footer