Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

majdle Posts: 130
Website

Hi girls!
I´m on the vergo of going nuts..I had a beautiful morning yesterday, walked my dogs and all that and when I was sipping on my coffee happy and content, I heard my doorbell ring. It was the mailman saying I have some mail..Cool, I thought, must be the mohair I ordered..but no..it was a warrant from the local court:-( I wasn´t aware  of anything I´d done, so I opened it and there it was...I used to have a car and paid the car insurance, justlike anybody else. When I´d sold the car, I cancelled the contract, but somehow it got lost (maybe in the mail or something) and now they´re sewing me over not paying the insurance for I car I sold more than a year ago:-( The sum basically equals my monthly pay (you see, I´m still in college, so I work 6 hours each evening and then 12 hrs on Saturdays and Sundays). I´m sooo bummed..Well, i decided not to pay because of THEIR mistake, so I found the piece of paper proving I´d cancelled the contract and ran to the company. Well, they apologized and deducted the sum I owed, but I still have to pay for the lawyer..and that´s most of the sum. I mean, how can somebody earn what I´m working for ao hard by just writing a stupid three page letter?
And it had to happen especially now, when I´m moving out of home and need to buy the basic things like dishes and a fridge and and and....  bear_cry  :twisted:  :twisted:

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

That stinks. Do you have free legal aid in your country? There is no way you should be paying for some one elses mistake. It could be you can counter sue the company that lost your paperwork, its basically their fault. Good luck!

beary_clairey Luton

That really does stink !!! Why should you pay for something thats not your mistake.

You should sue whoever lost the letter!!!

Claire bear_angry

majdle Posts: 130
Website

That´s what I´m  gonna do! I´m just not really looking forward to it - it costs money and energy.

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

You should not pay that bill, the insurance company should pay the solicitor who was working for them, not you.

THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO CON YOU.

Try and get some free legal advice.

MAYBE TRY TO TALK TO SOMEONE AT COLLEGE WHO MAY POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. OR SOMEONE AT YOUR LOCAL CHURCH.

Good luck

Lanie x

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

I am so sorry ,I feel your pain ! Its a good life lesson....The older I get I realize NO BODY does their job right, and it seems the more important they are the bigger the mess ups !!!! And it always costs the little guy US !!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Sorry...I work for lawyers  :doh:  but that doesn't sound right that you should pay for their error. I hope you don't give in - try writing them a letter stating that this either goes away...now...or you will be looking to them for your costs.

Marion

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

uuughhh!  I'm so sorry! 

although I'm NOT a lawyer... I've had to use their services several times  .... NOT fun.... and in my opinion.. it's not them that are "bad" but all those people who are trying to get something for nothing!  Or trying to not be responsible for what they have done.... (trying to not be specific... it would bore you to tears LOL!)

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Well Magda. I think looking for free legal aid in your country could help. Here in America, one could contact one of the local TV stations to tell them your plight. They will put it on the news. This is how it works. The T.V news people love a good story and if some injustice is happening in the community, they will help you confront the insurance folks who in turn do not want bad publicity. They back down quick. In Florida, one the T.V. Station's local news called this  "eight on your side" (channel eight). So during the new broadcast, they have the "eight on your side" segment about  the issue that is not getting resolved and how they helped the person resolve it.  It is very popular for there are many people who have tried to correct disputes and are not getting anywhere. "Eight on your side" will pick cases that may be happening to other people or of interest. If the TV news don't currently do this in your country, you can give them the idea and be the first. It is very popular here...... You would be surprised how many companis back down and the consumer got what needed to be done.

Best of Luck

Michelle

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Try to avoid having to hire a lawyer to fight this. It will end up costing you more money in the end. Never mind the headache, stress and effect that will have on your studies and work.

Free legal advice, if available there, should be your first step. You should also write the insurance company a letter, a professional sounding "these are the facts" kind of letter about why their legal fees for their error, when you have done nothing wrong, are NOT your responsibility. Wait for their repsonse before you do anything more. Be sure to send your letter to the right person... the president, owner or manager of the insurance company, no use wasting time on the middle man.

As Laura said, it isn't the lawyer.... it's the insurance company you need to be mad at.

Make this as easy on yourself as possible. Deal with the ins. company directly for now, save yourself money and the aggrevation of hiring your own lawyer. A little threat of counter-sueing in your communication with the ins. co. might be all it takes.

Board footer