Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

TeddyTyke Posts: 65

I'm a beginner, so be gentle with me ladies!

I have just made a bear with safety eyes, because it is for my 6 year old. Now I went a bit mad because I like those old bears you get with oversized eyes, so I used fairly large ones on him. They don't suit him.

Too much kerfuffle to behead him & start again - esp as he's got plastic safety joints. But it occured to me that I could minimise the scary eyes if I made some little felt eye-lids.

Anyone tell me how to do this? Is a decent fabric glue enough? I can't imagine how I could stitch them in place invisibly...

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

You could needle felt them on or if you dont have needle felting supplies , you could ladder stitch felt lids on.
Or they dont have to be felt. You could use the same fabric as the bear.
Draw a circle larger than the eye (allowing for the turned seam allowance) and cut in half. You could fold the raw edge under if you wish and then pin in place and see what you think. If they are what you are wanting then ladder stitch them on.
All the best. Hope it works out for you. Dont forget WE WANT PICTURES when its finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bear_grin

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I used ultra suede for my eyelids.  I glued them to the front of the eye with Crazy Glue GEL and then folded the ultra suede over the back of the eye and glued it in place.  You have to cut some of it off so its not to bulking. 

Cranbeary721.jpg

Make sure you use Gel glue as the regular stuff tends to run and you get a sticky mess which usually includes your fingers!!

Im not sure about doing this with safety eyes but as long as you don't have to much bulk at the back of the eye it should work.

Oh - another thought I just had is that I don't know whether the Crazy Glue would eat through the plastic eye - not quite sure about that so I would test it first.

Jane

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Seeings they are safety eyes I would do as Matilda said and stitch the felt/fur over the top.

westga Posts: 12

Thanks for the tip Jane this sounds doable for a beginner  :dance:

Angie

Aw thank you!

I do have needle felting supplies as I'm a handspinner. I've never got on with needle felting much, but it wouldn't be too hard to do something small. Thanks! I wouldn't have remembered I had the needles, use them so rarely! bear_grin

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Wee Tyke , pop into 'Needle Felting 'and have a nosey around. I'm sure you will find some great ideas for needle felting your eyelids.
It happens to us all. Having so much stock we forget what we have bear_grin  bear_grin
AND WE STILL WANT :photo:  bear_grin  bear_grin

LOL Wendy You should see the size of my fibre stash! Worser Half can't believe I've got this new hobby with the beginnings of stash, already... bear_tongue

Board footer