Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Hey all,

Just finished my first mini. He's made from a golden upholstery fabric and hand sewn (Like you can do it on a machine.) He is extreamly amature. His legs are loosely thread jointed and he is very plain.

What do you think?

Richy~

CIMG1230.JPG
CIMG1231.JPG

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I think you have done a great job on your first mini.  They are a real challenge aren't they.  Hope you have the bug to try some more.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

IMG_1682.JPGA brill first mini. I found them hard at first, had a massive ten year break, then picked up where I left off. Heres one of my first ones.

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I think he needs a friend!!

K P Bear K P Bear
Lewiston

A very good first mini. Can not wait for more.
Lena 13.gif

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I think he's great. he's got a real 'old world' look to him. He looks like a big bear. Cute.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Richy!!!!! I THINK YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR CALLING bear_thumb
Excelllent mini bear bear_flower  bear_flower

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I think he is very good
Has a real vintage look to him too!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Fantastic!!  There's nothing at all wrong with a "plain" bear, don't knock your great work! Plain can be very appealing...some of the best bears out there are without frills bear_original Take a peak at the traditional bear challenge gallery for some examples.
And I agree that he does look very vintage. 
Fantastic Job!!
:hug:
~Chrissi

Shropshire

Thank you all so much for your kind words. Yes he does look rather antique... I never thought of it like that before!

BonnieBears - Thank you so much. They are sure a challenge! The bug is with me, can't wait to keep going!!!

Amanda -Thanks Amanda,Oh your panda has put him right to shame!  bear_laugh  Your is adorable! The cutest mini panda I have seen!

Bambridge Bears - Believe me, He is getting some friends soon enough... Can't wait to make more... and more... And more... You get the picture :)

Lena - Thank you,  Soon enough you'll be asking me to shush with all the bears i'll be showing!

psichick78 - Thank you, He does look oldie.... I didn't think of it untill you all mentioned it!

Toby - Oh thank you toby. They are a real challenge and I had to draw all my seam allowences on him... He was a sure challange, You should sit down and try one, You'll catch the bug, I did.

Matilda - You are too kind! Yo are just trying to make me feel good ;)

KathyTaylor - Thank you for your kind words. He does look real vintage, How didn't I see it?

Chrissi - Thank you again Chrissi, He is just cute! I think he does look so vintage, Why didn't I see that before. Well, As he is rather Plain... If people ask, He is ment to be loosly jointed as he's antique hehehehe. The gallery has some fantastic oldy bears doesn't it, Darn you fabulous bear designers! hehehe

EDIT : I do have some bad news, Showing my grandmother, She thought he needed tightening up... So she twisted his arms and legs.. and SNAP! He is armless and legless!!! Oh dear... Thank god I drew the joint holes in while I was stringing him... She found it amusing, So did I, But I thought, Oh dear god... Having to joint him again hahaha  :crackup:

Take care,

Richy~

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Jolly good!  Yes you must try a few more to see if you like the genre.

Wonderful bear!

congrats

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Great Job !!! Yep I want to see more from you also !!!

ylc Y Daydream? Designs
Spotsylvania, VA

He is darling! You did a great job!!

Yvette

WA

golden-minitedthread-jointedheadon-angle.jpgRichy I can assure,  if I thought your bear crap, I would have been conspicuous with my silence. bear_grin
Jodi showed us all how to thread joint using buttons in the body.  it is here I think in Minitures.

My first bear was so shoddy that my youngest nephew while trying to teach the bear to air swim pulled a safety jointed arm off. :crackup:   I CUT holes for the eyes and then had to sew them up because they were tooo big for the eyes :crackup:

This is a thread jointed I made about 5-6 years ago. I was never able to make another one after this.
As you can see his thread jointed head is a wee tad toooo loose. bear_grin

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Richy,

I think you did a fabulous job on your first mini!  They aren't the easiest little things to try, and your first has a very expressive, sweet face.  You just keep those little guys coming; I think we're all excited to see more minis from you!

Ahhh, thread joints... and them getting popped off.... indeed a nightmare, but over time you'll find them easier and easier to do (or redo!)!

Great job!
Kimberly W.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Very cute for your first try. On my first mini, you could see every stitch.....Yours is cute as a button.

Michelle

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

You did a great job for a first.  Minis aren't easy, but as some have said, they call out to ya :-)

/bearhugs,

Ripley, Queensland
matilda wrote:

This is a thread jointed I made about 5-6 years ago. I was never able to make another one after this.
As you can see his thread jointed head is a wee tad toooo loose. :lol:

Oh dear and here I was thinking Wendy that you had him looking quizzically to one side (my dogs so that expression ALL the time)

My first mini was made from a fur I trimmed back myself as I had no mini fur.... lets just say he was an interesting finish!

Shropshire

Dilu - Thank you so much. I do enjoy them but think i'll try cotter pins next time and a better design. I just didn't like the head... Or the body.

Jodi - Thank you Jodi. I am planning on doing some more to see if I can get the hang of it!

Yvette - Thank you Yvette.

Matilda - Your bears are fabulous though. I do adore that little guy and his head gives him alot of character I think. Maybe just tightening him up would solve your problem and you could try mini's again! If mine were close to how yours were, I would very pleased!

Kimberly - Thank you for your support and swet comments. I will have to try some more. I'm a stuborn guy, I'll leave him well alone and keep him as a bear so I can improve on parts I don't like. Thread jointing is wonderfull! NOT It is so painfull to get it right... and tight! I thought it would be a doddle I was wrong!

Michelle - Thank you very much Michelle, I'm hoping to improve with every one I do.

PeachtreeCottage -Thank you. They arn't at all easy! But i'm a stubborn guy, If somthing wins (I have to say this mini won) I'll do it again and again, and again and AGAIN, Untill I get it the way I want it!

Ripley, Queensland
StarHawk2003 wrote:

Dilu -
Michelle - Thank you very much Michelle, I'm hoping to improve with every one I do.

PeachtreeCottage -Thank you. They arn't at all easy! But i'm a stubborn guy, If somthing wins (I have to say this mini won) I'll do it again and again, and again and AGAIN, Untill I get it the way I want it!

Of course you will impriove with each one that is the beauty of it!!  Looking forward to seeing more of them.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I did some thread jointed ones and they have fallen apart! I started doing mini ones again last year, it gets very addictive. I swapped to joints that I turn with a small pair of blunt cheap scissors. I leave a bigger gap in the back so I can get in there to do the joints. Then I ladder stitch up. I also sew completely around my limbs then cut a little slit down the middle, turn through this, put my joint in and ladder stich up. You don't see anything as its against the body and you have even sewn outer edges. That is also what I do on big ones as well. Good luck with it all!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Richy

Seems to me you're a natural!  Looks like you found your niche in the bearyworld.  Wonderful job.  Cute bear.  And the exciting thing for me, is this:

If you are this good on your first try what are you going to be doing in 10 or 20 or 100
bears from now? 

now that's exciting!

congratulations

get going we want more!  bear_grin

dilu

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

Nothin' wrong with a plain bear. I prefer plain bears. You can see all that hard work better!  bear_grin
Job well done, it looks a lot better than my first bear.  bear_thumb
Each one will get easier and of course each one will teach you something. THIS bear decided you needed to learn all about jointing!

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Yes I like naked bears alsooooooooooo

!!!

WA

After my little golden one, my big fat fingers just said that they were tooo small and wouldnt do the job properly.
That little one of mine above was a fluke at that time. I'm ready for minis now. I'm enjoy making them now.

Have you made any more Richy??? bear_thumb

Board footer