Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

TeddyTyke Posts: 65

bear_grin

I swear this current bear I'm making is cursed...  I'm a beginner and I get something 'new' wrong on each bear I make... When I've figured out a problem, lo and behold - a new one crops up! Fine! I can cope with it!

But this bear...  I've had to do several things over. Worst of all, today I realised I had an air pocket in the nose stuffing, once the thing was finally together and I'd started stitching the nose... This was the first time I experimented with excelsior, just for the head. Apparently it makes it firmer than polystuffing, so easier to embroider the nose. Hmm. Well, it looked firm enough to me... But it wasn't, apparently.  So, I had to find the ladder stitching in his back (no mean feat now I've perfected that one!); unpick it; behead him; re-stuff the head; rejoint the head; re-stuff the body; sew up the body; re-sew the nose.... Oh and in the process had to pull out his eyes, so I could unstuff the head properly....

It's about the third thing I've had to totally re-do. Blimey.  Starting to feel the bear is cursed.

Now, he's eye-less, has half a nose, and no mouth yet.

Wonder what he's going to do to me next!

Thing is, he's a beautiful bear, one of the nicest I've made yet. I just keep wondering if every time I look at him I'll remember the way he didn't seem to want to be made! bear_tongue

Anyone else ever made a cursed bear?

Dilu Posts: 8,574

DSC01163-2.JPGDSC01160-2.JPG

Oh Penny. have we ever made a cursed bear.....I wish i could show you pigmonkeybear.....he was , hmmmm

but here is another dreadful mistake:

sarahjane Brisbane

Often our best bears are the ones that give us the most trouble....keep at it, it will be a beautiful bear!!!

Dilu that rabbit has a charm all of its own!!  bear_grin

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I wanna see photos of this cursed bear. I reckon the cutest ones give you the most trouble.  As if saying I'M worth all this trouble... LOL

Danni

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Aw, Penny I can totally sympathize! :hug:
I'm working on a critter right now that I've had to make several 'do-overs' on. Dang I hate when that happens.

If they give me too much trouble I just set them aside and work on something else for a while. After a few days I feel like I can get  a fresh start on them and things go smoother.

Good luck! I can't wait to see it when it's done. I'm sure it will be beautiful!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Pig-Bear.jpg

Penny you wrote:Anyone else ever made a cursed bear?

Yes, I have made a bear that looks like a pig. though at the time I was making him for my beloved Michael but he made me mad about something. Well, the thing was, I was working on the face while not thinking kind thoughts about him. So interestingly enough, when I was done, it had pointed ears and a big pink nose. And just for spite, I plunked a great big flower on top of his head. It was really ugly.

So what did Michael say when I presented it to him? Well he love it!! I was confused, walked away wondering how could I possiblly make it any uglier... I look back at him as he was placing it amongst his treasured items on his dresser. How could I stay mad at him any longer? To this day, he has no idea. That hideous bear is smack dab front and center on his dresser....Well I guess that is love for you....

Michelle

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Some years ago I made a bear that gave me nothing but trouble. I was determind to finish him. I changed him so many times that I almost gave up several times. I finally felt happy with the bear...I was nominated for an EVA with him...it's worth keeping on and getting the troublesome ones finished after all!

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Sandy-1992-Goldenteddy-Winner-400pix.jpg

Penny , don't give up !!! I have learned allot from so called mistakes, you come up with new ideas that way, and some times it turns out to be your best bear !! I made a panda once that looked really different to me, but then again something I liked , to me he was a monkey bear !! And you know what ?? He won a GOLDEN TEDDY AWARD !!! sooooo you see just don't give it up !!

Dilu I ADORE that rabbit! Proves the old saying 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'!

Well, the bear (she's called Kerfuffle because she caused one) is finished - as far as they ever are. Will get my teenager to take a digital pic later as I can't figure out the camera... I forgive her everything she put me through!

I'm rubbish at taking photos but here she is, Kerfuffle the bear:

kerfuffle.jpg

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Well Penny, I love the color pink...that is a good start... how bad can the bear be if it is pink, right? But I can't see anything else. What is it you don't like because from what I see it's rather cute. Since I am partial to pink, I like it.

Michelle

Board footer