Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of purchasing some Super Lon - the thread that Sassy Fabrics offers.  I Know some of you use it.  I'll be mainly using it for about 6.5" sized bears and basically all being used on Mohair.

Do you recommend this thread for mohair?  Or is it mainly for the mini bear fabrics etc?

Looking forward to hearing responses.  I don't like normal thread as it's not strong enough and lately I haven't been mad about the Upholstrey thread.

Looking forward to reading any responses
Danni

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

Hi Danni
OK, so I'm a little biased here, but it's my honest opinion! bear_grin
I use this thread for sewing all sizes of bears and every type of fabric. I have never had a problem with it. It's strong and thin and slides through fabric like it's greased. It makes a small tight knot that doesn't come undone and comes in loads of colors for the perfect match.
I don't like regular or upholstery threads for sewing either.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

stephanie, is it bonded nylon thread???    That is what I use for my mohair bears. Its wonderful to use but too thick for minis.   I would love to have strong but fine thread for the minis. MMMmmmm will just have to get some in my next order aye?  bear_thumb

OH and if I can just  grab a moment here to say, that the colours in your vintage rayons are just so beautifully brilliant.  Its not until you get to see them in flesh that your colours show their true vibrance. bear_thumb

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I ordered the thread from Sassy for mini bears and have since started using it for all my bears big and small. It comes in plenty of colours so you have a good choice.
it is nice to work with,I just do not keep the thread I am sewing with too long.

I just want it in BIGGER rolls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynette

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

Super Lon is actually a beading thread so it's pretty strong. And it's very thin. I carry size A, which is the thinnest they make. It is fine enough to fit through a beading needle.
It is called 'parallel nylon' which means the long strands are bonded parallel to each other, making it very strong, unlike a regular nylon filament (fishing line).
Basically, it is just like a fine dental floss in colors.
I have asked about bigger spools. They only make black and white in spools. That doesn't help much!!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Hmmm off to check it out.

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

I tried this thread with my last order and I LOVE it! In fact I need more.....I will be putting in an order right after Christmas, Stephanie bear_original

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I absolutely love this thread and have about a dozen colors now - whenever I make a Sassy order I include several bobbins. It's great thread for any size bear.

Marion

WA

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm....................more bear stuff I must have MmmMMmmmmm........... bear_whistle

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sounds like great thread, I would like to try it.

Although, am I the only one who has no trouble with regular thread? I only use upolstery thread for certain things that need a stronger pull, but with my hand sewing I just use regular nylon thread and it seems fine, my bears are very strong and durable. i don't think anyone would notice.

but maybe I'm missing something?

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Don't panic Heather... I tend to use regular sewing thread on my mohair bears (although I do use it doubled for extra strength).  I used to use mastec or other upholstery thread but I handsew everything and my skin is a bit delicate and the upholstery thread would cut my fingers to shreds.  I reverted back to ordinary thread and have never had a problem with a broken seam.  I mainly use metrosene.

I still use my high quality invisible thread on my minis - I don't like the beading thread - it's too chunky for a micro mini.  The invisible thread I use isn't quite the same as the regular invisible stuff.  This one is super fine and ever so lightly "textured" for want of a better word.  I get less tangles with it than I do with any other thread.

BUT I love the beading thread for sewing mohair and imported synthetic.  It does feel a bit funny in my hands - I have to run it through some beeswax (or thread conditioner) first otherwise I can't use it but that's probably my delicate skin again!! I've only just started using it but I am a convert.  Because it's so fine there's more on those itty bitty reels than you'd think.   I've yet to use it on a sparse mohair which will be the true test, but so far I am impressed.

bearsbyTracey BearsbyTracey
Wellington, New Zealand

Hi All
Danni this thread is fantastic :dance:
I have used it on all different types of mohair and as I use a lot of spase mohair.
Just before christmas I used it on my bears. I am talking 2 3/4 to 4 inch. I was sooooooooo excited I had to tell all my bear artist friends.
The thread seams to grip the fabric and hold the seams tight.
my Dave thought I was crazy that I could get so excited over sewing thread.

Give it a try

Hugs
Tracey

WA

I have used this thread for two mohair bears. One I'm just finishing and I have finished sewing vintage rayon with it. It is SOOO good that I have been able to sew by hand three critters in only two weeks. It glides through so easily. It does have a tendancy of shreading when sewing mohair.. So one piece of thread per seam. Even though the spools are small there is still alot of thread there.  Because the thread is fine and strong I have been able to do work which I hadnt been able to before because my needles were always too big. Now I am able to use a tiny teeny needle. Which means smaller stitches.   Give it ago, even if you dont use it for sewing bears you will find untold uses for it.  bear_grin

Board footer