Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

..has anyone used silk thread for noses on minis?  I was just looking at the sheen of the thread and thinking how handy it would be not to have to wax the minis' noses [I'm a terrible waxer, that's why I usually do clay noses].  Any suggestions or comments would be very welcome---I've never used silk thread so I don't know how strong it is.  Thought jewelers used it for stringing pearls so as not to damage 'em, not entirely certain though.

Thanks!

Amelia

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I've used silk thread on minis before Amelia.  The only issue I have with it is that if you only use one or two strands it can take what seems like a million stitches to fill in the nose really well.... if I am using a fabric with the "grid backing" and I poke through it "a million" times, sometimes I've ended up practically "ripping" a little line at the top and bottom of the nose. NOT a good thing... so I generally thread multiple strands through a very fine neede to do it.
It does have a lovely sheen.... doesn't it!?  I am a silk fanatic!  I even find myself buying silk fabric, even though I'm never really sure that I'll ever USE it for anything!  It just feels so nice! 
Kim Basta

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Oh Kim: I would love to try silk thread. I hear there are different kinds and brands. Which brand or kind do you recommend? Second where can you buy it?

Thank you

Michelle

p.s.  that cat I am working on, well I am finishing the tail....still.....I do believe I will get it done before Christmas....

Board footer