Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Well, the New Year has me up and running already.  I've introduced my first bear of 2007 today, he was completed on January 1st! 

As I mentioned in the 'bears for sale' section, I'm feeling inspired by the New Year and as I wiped clean my commission order book for Christmas (well, almost but not quite!) I have earned myself the freedom to do as I please with my bear-making until the forward orders dominate my schedule again.  Heaven! 

So, I asked myself what I'd enjoy doing next and decided my next step is to make a great big cream alpaca teddy bear ... probably fairly classic in style, as opposed to a character bear.  I fancy a lovely armful of pure snuggle to share with someone who has an eye for a real 'teddy' teddy bear.  This one will take me pretty much back to my roots with maybe just the smidgiest flavour of today! 

Is anyone else bursting with enthusiasm for turning their creative thought processes into actual teddy bears right now?  If so, I'm sure we'd love to hear what is currently inspiring you and how you plan to develop your inspiration!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Well, the thing I really want to try next is a really small mini - I'm hoping about 3" made out of Alpaca also.  I'm on a bit of an Alpaca surge at the moment.  I pulled out some Alpaca and thought Id give it a go a couple of weeks ago again. I gave up on the stuff early in my bear making days because of the fraying problem, but didn't find it too hard now (more experience I guess)

So, that's where my inspiration is leading me - should be fun!
Danni

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I'm bursting with enthusiasm.....I'm just waiting on the energy to catch up!   :crackup:

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh Paula, it's great to hear you have creative freedom now!

I am also inspired this year. I just finished making 3 of the cutest soft sculpture dolls, and boy do I love that. I'll have to be carefull not to switch hobbies.

right now, I'm making a HUGE bear. 16", that's massive for me, it's out of some great tipped alpaca. It's the 1st time I've ever used that stuff and I'm in love. I can't wait for my big cuddly teddy to appear, that stuff is sooo SOFT!

Sure makes me want a nice big paula bear though.  I can really appreciate how soft and wonderful they would be now. Better start saving my pennies.

My goal this year is to start selling, and keep expanding what I hope to be 'my' look. I'm also dying to try and make a cat. My cat is just soo cute, and I would love to re-create his face.

And guess now that my bunny is gone.....maybe I should make one of those as well.

Am i the only one who is totally inspired by their pets?

Also, cleaing out my studio after each bear really inspires me. The room gets so messy as I create, it's nice to clear it out and take a fresh look at my drawings and supplies.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Isn't it wonderful to be able to start the new Year fizzing at the bung!.... so to speak!

I am in the process of making a "Doctor Bear"  for my husband's brother, who has comissioned me to make him one.

I am also waiting for a little package of Antique lovely things to arrive in the mail so I can make some new, old Bears.

Look forward to seeing all the lovely Bears this year - exciting isn't it!

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_whistle Weeellll, I'm gonna have a huge bear room cleaning shortly!  It seriously needs to be done.  I've got odds n ends, and who knows what lurking in my cedar chests.  Its gotta get cleared and cleaned, as its a bit messy, even for me  bear_ermm

I do have some bits and pieces of designs in progress.  They're just little bits for me to see what the pattern looks like in fur.  But I've also gotten in some dyed rabbit fur just to play with.   bear_wub   The only thing I miss about playing with mohair is all the colour choices.  I adore real fur, though, so I'm hoping beyond hope that the dyed fur will help me to fulfill my dreams of a really colourful bear or two  bear_wub

articicle Posts: 119

I'm hoping to have a mini in the works soon.  I'd like someday to own an alpca teddy, they must be soooooooo soft!  I think it would get hugged till the stuffing fell out... :redface:

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Yay...reading through this thread I see there's going to be lots of eye candy for me to hanker after.  I can't wait to see your traditional alpaca fellow Paula, and Danni's mini, and Heather's dolls and please oh please Aleta are you going to be making some of your wonderful artistic outside the box kind of pieces??  :pray:

I am trying to challenge myself with some new directions this year.  I want to make another big (read 8 inches!) bear and also to develop some new patterns.  I felt like I spent much of the latter parts of 2006 in a creative rut and I'm determined to dig myself out of it this year.  Once I've finished the bajillion ufos I have sitting here, I want to have fun playing for a while.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I've been wanting to make a realistic polar bear cub with my dense creamy alpaca---I know it's been done, but not by me yet bear_grin

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I have just designed a  four legged bear which I intend to use a white string mohair... I am still in the trail period using a woven back synthetic.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Wow, what a great buzz of New Year inspiration!  It's so good to hear your plans ... it really creates a wonderful sense of moving our teddy bear industry forward with terrific passion, which can only be a good thing. bear_thumb

Tami, I'm with you on the 'I know it's been done, but not by me yet' ... it's a great ethic. bear_original

Good luck with all the studio cleaning and tidying, if you're anything like me that will certainly get your creative juices flowing!

Looking forward to seeing how these plans develop - please feel free to share pics on this thread as your work evolves! bear_thumb

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I spent last year looking at how I do stuff and what materials work best for me. So this year things will be less caotic and more streamlined in my work room. I have found the best and most clean wool stuffing. I am so pleased with it that I donated 10 kilos of my other stuffing to charity.  I wish to go towards the more sculptural arty end of critter making. There is alot I wish to do with minis.
I have had many parcels arrive this week with all new 'untried by me supplies' and I dont feel not one bit daunted by it all.  ..... I also have had it in my mind to go alpaca this year but who knows. Not sure I'll get there until about June. bear_grin  I'm still waiting on a few bits and pieces to still arrive and until then I'm doing research and a lot of sketching.    So that's me then bear_thumb

K Pawz Guest

Awesome thread!!! I started by cleaning my studio!!! Now that was a chore and a half....Now onto my commision puppies along with a bear or puppy for eBay between each one!! I as well am looking forward to trying new animals, but am waiting for a gorgeous piece of black alpaca to arrive that is I am hoping going to make a wonderful character black bear!!!
Hugs,
Krista

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

OOOoooh, I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

I love chatting with such a creative bunch!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

The first thing I have to do..along with other UK bear makers...is to pay the tax man his dues on or before 30th January......aaaaagh...don't you just hate that?

I am enjoying making some smaller bears at the moment....10-12 inchers which I love doing and it's uplifting to see their little baby faces emerge...I've made two since Christmas and two are being born.

Ideas wise I am itching to do more cats...and maybe a puppy...in fact other creatures in general. I have had a good idea for a bear with a twist that will happen..maybe before Hugglets...probably not.

I am also going on an airbrushing course to try to divert my under used painting skills into a new area of interest. I don't see that I'll be an instant whizz at it but it will be another string to my bow. I have some ideas buzzing around and I think that it will help with achieving my goals. No tigers though, Judi!!

I also want to learn a bit more about dressmaking as I feel it's an area that I can put more effort into. My bears outfits are properly made...but basic...and it's a case of 'could do better'.

Isn't it great to think that there is so much more to learn!!!!!?

Board footer