Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

I have just come from several wesites where I was admiring the wonderful inspiring photos of bears in a natural habitat.  I recently tried photographing my miniature bear in a woodland setting, but to my eye it looked too busy:

IMG_3772.jpg

Now, as artists AND as collectors, what do you prefer? 

I know for bigger bears, I simply adore seeing them in the crook of a tree limb [Judi's bears] or in a decorative setting [Aleta's darlings], and for miniatures I love seeing Nancy's miniatures in their walnut shells and reading the cute stories, or Chrissi's marvelous minis with their rough plank background---all of these examples I've listed are visually exciting to mine eye, and simply the photos alone are a treat, not to mention the descriptions.  And I don't mean to discriminate, there are lots of other artists here who are grand at making their photos equal a thousand words, these four artists were just ones that popped into my head.

However, for my bears, I've always been most happy with a solid background---this is probably due to my complete ineptness at interior design [really must have a talented girlfriend come over and help me 'do' my house, while I'm thinking of it]. 

Am wondering if perhaps an interesting background with a bear as a focal point rather than just the bear would be more visually exciting---well, that's obvious---but now do I build a miniature wood for my teds to gambol in while taking photos, or will a simple arrangement of interesting objects help showcase my bear?  Hrm.  Lots to think about!

Whew!  That post was a whole lotta rambling!

Amelia

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

As a collector... I prefer to see just the bear... so I don't miss anything!

When submitting photos to magazines... they also request just the bear.

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Yes....the fun backgrounds can be neat to see.  But. I guess it is more for your own picture files and perhaps a site photo or whatnot...

For mags or challenges/contests...they require plain background so that all of the detail is visible.   For sale situations,   it is good to keep it quite plain so the prospective buyer can make out all detail as well I would think.  Toss in a cutesy one if you like... but most of them should be plain background..  and if you prefer that anyway, so much the better.  Personal preference probably plays a huge part in what each person does with their pics.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I also have gone with the advice from the professionals here on TT. I also though am not very good with the camera. So for me simple is best. I did take pics of Barnaby in the garden which is one of my favourite photos.
I would suggest take pictures in both settings.  that way al bases are covered.
Love the wee butterbear Amelia. He looks lovely in his woodland setting. bear_thumb

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I've settled on the least expensive option I could think of: Denim!

It's at least 60" wide, a yard is more than enough and the reverse side of the many colors of it are wonderful!

That being said, I find using my gradient photo sheets too bulky to use with 2" minis. I'm going to sell them: I have used the blue one a lot and have cut a narrower strip off one side/full length. I think they started about 30+"  x 48". I bought three:
a white to dark blue,
white to gray and
white to black.
LMK off list if anyone is interested.
I mail-ordered them through Belger (Camera) Supply in Texas.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Wow Amelia I'm totally blushing over here with your description  :hug:  (but smiling ear to ear as well!  bear_original )
I'm glad you like the pictures! I'm still learning the do's and don'ts of indoor photography, so it was outdoors or nothing! After playing around with different fabrics, solid boards, etc I just found that my potting table ( bear_grin ) wasn't too distracting a background.

I personally adore Paula's garden shots.  I think her bears look so happy and alive sitting on those garden stones. 
I've done a few fairy/butterfly bears pictured in plain green grass...that I thought was pretty.

I like your shot above...I like the little "wishies" above his head.  We called them "wishies" as kids becuase we would blow on them and make wishes.

:hug:
~Chrissi

Board footer