Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

zemeski Posts: 434

CONGRATULATIONS!!! TO THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE BEEN CHOSEN FOR THE TOBY AWARDS.

I'm a little sad that Benson wasn't a nominee for the Toby Awards. I don't know if he is a Golden Teddy Award nominee or not yet?? I guess I should just stick to making bears and not doing contest.

Benson

Benson07.jpg

Stellajella Wien

Benson is wickedly fabulous!
Melissa, but I guess, you must have had several nomenees and even winners, havenĀ“t you?????

Gaby bear_flower

bearkidz bearkidz by Marion Fraile
charlotte
Website

Melissa, don't be sad. Benson is gorgeous and I am sure many more people do feel the same!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub He might still get an award for the Golden Teddy and I will cross my fingers!

Hugs,
bear_original Marion

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Melissa,
     Please don't feel too badly.  I don't think any of us realize just how many entries there are.  I didn't enter this year - I was too busy at Christmas, but I have entered many, many, many times with no nominations.  I did get a nomination for a Golden Teddy a few years ago and that awful Shelli beat me (wink, wink LOL!) in the end , and it's exciting, but I do think it comes down to the various taste of the judges for that year.  Don't give up.

hugs,

Brenda

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Melissa, don't be sad.  You have done a fantastic job on this bear.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  Minky Kinsey has said in the past that they agonize over picking them.  The Golden Nominees are not out yet and I have my fingers crossed for you.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

If you're already making these outstanding bears why not enter??!!  Keep trying bear_thumb .  Benson's a gorgeous bear!

I'd personally LOVE to see pictures of all the entries, along with the winners.  With all of the talent here the entries from "the best of the best" must all be outstanding. 

:hug:
~Chrissi

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Knock that off, Melissa.  And I say that with a smile.   Hear me out.

Your BENSON is absolutley gorgeous.  You KNOW that.  WE know that, now that we've seen him.  He represents a truly beautiful artwork that's clearly been born only because of your absolute mastery of technique and your talent at creating sublimely pretty pieces.  He's got a great posture and a winning smile.

So why didn't he get a nomination?  Who knows?  You probably never will.  There could be a variety of reasons and all of them would likely be valid and logical if you looked at them from a particular perspective which none of us have.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get a TOBY nomination either.  And neither did, like, 99% of the pieces that were entered, and the artists who entered them.  The word I've invented for the news I get EVERY YEAR that my pieces don't get nominated is SUCKY.  It's SUCKY to hear news like that.  It's ego-rattling and depressing and SUCKY.  There aren't many great adjectives I can think of to describe what is essentially a form of rejection.

But there's more...

I have a great friend who's an incredibly talented bearmaker.  Every year she submits a big ol' handful of entries to the contests and every year I am certain they will ALL get nominations.  Every year, she gets some notice and noms, but never in the numbers I would have expected given the quality and workmanship and beauty of her pieces. 

It makes me feel so much better to look at her absolutely amazing, jaw-droppingly beautiful work, and realize that she has maybe a 30-50% success rate when she enters contests... meaning that as many as 70% of her entries essentially "fail," for want of a better word.  I entered one piece into the TOBY contest this year; I didn't get a nod.  So that makes my failure rate for that contest, this year, 100%.

Still, I resolutely REFUSE to define myself and my work by my nominations -- or lack thereof.  And I think that's a smart policy if one wants to enter contests, otherwise the process could be so devastating and discouraging that it would take a huge amount of energy to recover from!  I would be lying through my teeth if I said nominations "didn't matter."  They do, if you're one of those who enters these contests, and it's a heady and giddy thing to receive accolades from a professional peer group in this way.  But a nomination does not DEFINE you or your work; it merely brings notice and attention to it.  Please keep this in mind, and remember to have some perspective.  And don't write contests off in perpetuity.  I understand that you feel bummed out but it may just be true that "this year wasn't your year, in this contest, in this category."  There IS chance involved.  Who are the judges?  What are their personal preferences?  How do they define "nomination worthy?"  Who were your competitors?  These things, unknowable. 

But what you do know is that you created something really amazing here, with BENSON.  Don't doubt the quality and appeal of your work, and don't for a minute doubt that he is and was absolutely competition worthy, whether he receives a nod or not.

Last, remind yourself that there are hoardes of amazingly talented artists who don't even enter contests -- for whatever reason.  I don't remember seeing any Gregory Gyllenship (SP?) bears nominated in the last few years but to suggest his work is anything less than absolutely amazing would be blasphemy.  Christine Pike told us all that this round of nominations is her FIRST EVER experience in receiving such notice from the contests.  Can you believe that?

No, my friend Melissa... your work is NOT work that should be consigned to "avoiding contests" going forward if entering contests is something you want to do.  All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't have an entry in YOUR category!

Big hugs to you, dear one.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Don't fret Melissa,   it's hit or miss it's like Brenda said it all depends on the judges that year.    I think your bear is gorgeous and I can sit back and wonder why was it nominated.  Well it's fate and everything happens for a reason, maybe he wasn't nominated for a Toby because he's been nominated for GT.  Who knows and as Shelli said you likely will never know. 

Chin up  your bears are truly works of art , that's all that matters in the end.

hugs

Shane

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

You know what Melissa.... I have to sincerely applaud the folks who DO take the time, risk, money, tummy aches, thought, photos, etc...... that it takes when you enter these contests.  Myself... I'm just too wimpy to do it!   bear_cry  I've never entered the GT's or the TOBY's, and people are starting to wonder WHY I've never done it!  bear_wacko  bear_cry   bear_innocent  I think that most of it is just that I don't have the confidence in my own work, and the emotional fortitude that it takes!   bear_ermm

Making a beautiful bear takes time and tallent, but entering a comnpetition takes oh so much more than that.    :clap:  bear_happy   Benson is simply gorgeous, are are ALL your bears, Melissa.  And just having the guts to DO it, is something that I truly think completely deserves a round of applause! 

:hug:  :clap:  :hug:  :clap:  :hug: 

Kim Basta

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Well said, Shelli! bear_thumb

Melissa, Benson is gorgeous bear_wub , and you should be very proud of him. Do not give up on the contests, because your work is outstanding. Period. :clap:

Bear hugs, :hug:
Debora

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Well said, Shelli! ( I personally needed that little pep talk too!)

Melissa, Benson is OUTSTANDING! Is he for sale????

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Gee Melissa - I have NO idea why your bear didn't make it - but it probably has nothing to do with the bear.

Keep entering, and keep trying!  He is a BEAUTIFUL bear!
Danni

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I love Benson!  Don't give up yet hon.  You do incredible work!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Melissa, I am in awe of your work.  Don't let the lack of a nomination discourage you too much.  I am another one that took the leap and entered the TOBY's this year.  As Shelli said , it does feel sucky when the call doesn't come.  But, your bear is so outstanding, it doesn't need a nomination to prove that to anyone.  I love Benson. 

I can honestly say that as disappointed as I feel, I am having a blast riding the coat tails of the nominees and sharing the excitement on TT today.  What a fun time it is to be able to celebrate with friends.

Melissa, just know in your heart that your bears are out of this world.  I wouldn't want to be the judges, what a hard job that is.   I wish I had the talent you do.   :hug:  :hug:

Best of luck with  the Golden Teddy's  bear_thumb

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh he is wonderful!!! I will cross my fingers for a Golden Teddy!!! :dance:

aerianna aerBears
Sacramento, CA

Melissa,  I am sorry you didn't get nominated   :hug: but he is beautiful and you should be very proud of him!
Aeri

zemeski Posts: 434

Thank you all!! I will quit feeling sorry for myself and say what Shelli says it SUCKS!! I would hate to be a judge for sure! I'll move forward and continue to create bears!!! Besides tomorrow is a new day!!  bear_grin

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Now there's the spirit!!  Good for you!!  bear_original  bear_flower  bear_original

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Melissa you shouldn't feel sad about Benson not being a nominee ..... He is one fantastic bear and I am sure the judges have a very difficult time ... Just keep up your wonderful work.

K Pawz Guest

Thanks for the pep talk Shelli and everyone, I know exactly how you feel Melissa, I entered the three in my avatar (all photographed by a proffesional) and thought for sure I would at least get a nomination....but when I look at the fact that I have been doing this less than a year, and believed in myself enough to even consider entering that is big in my eyes...I personally will keep trying until I finally get the phone call!!!

Hugs,
Krista

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton
Judi wrote:

Minky Kinsey has said in the past that they agonize over picking them.

Is that the secret to all your success Judi? You have to call Mindy "Minky" ? Is it a secret pet name or something? :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Seriously, contests are judged by people and people have their own likes and dislikes. With the fabulous selection of contemporary and traditional and felted and crocheted and ..... bear_wacko  bear_wacko  it would be very hard to choose. Keep up the good work and who knows...maybe your day is coming!!!!

Cheryl :rose:

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Melissa!!! Benson is outstanding !!
I will believe if you said he was won  because
your bear is very well done. and I'm sorry that
he did not make it but he is no different, he is still
done great bear !!! I love love love Benson. bear_wub
May I use the word too ? 
Oh SUCKY !!!(with smiling face) bear_grin 

Thanks Shelli!! bear_flower I need it to hear this too.  :hug:

hugs
Marie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Absolutely, Melissa, your day is coming!  With creations like Benson, you will succeed - just give yourself time.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
cherylbruinwerks wrote:
Judi wrote:

Minky Kinsey has said in the past that they agonize over picking them.

Is that the secret to all your success Judi? You have to call Mindy "Minky" ? Is it a secret pet name or something? :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Cheryl :rose:

Cheryl, I didn't even catch that but I laughed out loud when I read your post!!! My kids came running to see what was so funny! :crackup:

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Nomination or not, Benson is fabulous!!!!!!!!

Board footer