Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Princess-Mirabell-and-Sophie.jpgReceiving a call that you've been nominated for a Toby is an honor.....one which I do not take lightly.  This is my third year submitting photos.  I'd read on Shelli's blog that the announcements would be made Saturday.  By 4:30 Sunday afternoon I was feeling "sucky" as Shelli so adequately puts it.  I went to bed early, determined to put the weekend behind me.  Max knew I was sad.  He curled up on my pillow....his purring in my ear lulled me to sleep.  All was once again right with the world. 

I was feeling pretty upbeat this morning as I'd already gotten over the "sucky" feeling and had moved on.  Then artists started posting they'd gotten the call.  I was truly happy for those posting.  Their work....outstanding!  The TT site seemed to be having a problems......perhaps too much activity on the site.  I kept getting bumped off the site.  So, I headed upstairs to the studio, turned on the CD player and put the Pussy Cat Dolls in.....pumping up the volume.  I love it when the bass rattles the windows! 

I was working away happily on my newest bear when I thought I heard the phone ring.  I stopped for a minute turning my head toward the ringing phone.  I could see the red signal pulsing.  Not another sales call,  I thought.  Mental note:  call the .gov line to stop the insanity.  I grabbed the phone, simultaneously turning the volume down on the stereo and looking at the caller ID.  It was Mindy Kinsey.

My heart stopped.  I could barely breath.  I recall hearing her say the words Industry Choice Award, TOBY nomination, Congratulations and something about a packet of information.  I must have sounded like a total goober as I heard myself say, "Oh my gosh!" more than a half a dozen times.  It was probably more like a dozen or more times and I was fighting back tears.  I was stunned.....absolutely stunned.   I remember saying thank you and then the call was over and I fell to my knees, sobbing.

I called my husband, daughter, my mom and my sister.  They all thought someone had died....they could tell I'd been crying.  (And I was trying so hard to hide it!)  Much to their relief and happiness I told them about the nomination.  At this point the shock had worn off and the giddy feeling was taking over.  I was prancing around the house like a pony!!  Thankfully the prancing had stopped by the time Bill got home.  He would have thought I'd lost my mind.  That or I was having a bi-polar episode.

I suppose I should have started this post off with a "Windbag Alert".  The point of my story is this:  I do remember the heartache at being passed by for a nomination.  I thought I'd been, once again, passed by.  I wish, with all my heart, that each one of you reading this (and God bless you if you've read this far!) receives an award nomination at some point.  Don't ever give up!  Keep trying.  It will happen when you least expect it.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

:dance:  :dance:  :dance: Woo hoo!!!  Aleta that is truly awesome!!  Congratulations!!!! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

YEAH ALETA!!!!  Wooohooo!!! :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :clap:
So happy for you, Congratulations!!

Now where's the pic????!!!   :photo:

:hug:
~Chrissi

edit...Tracy!! We were doing Wooohooo's at the same time!!  bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes!

Yes, Yes, Yes! 

Think "Yes" a la Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally; that's how I'm saying it, with that much enthusiasm.   As in, "I'll have what SHE'S having."

:)

I'm beyond delighted for you, Aleta, ESPECIALLY since I know it's not something you take lightly.  Congratulations to you, and thank so much for sharing your very personal, and very moving, story. 

Please show us a photo!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, there's the pic.  I jumped the gun.

LOVELY and AMAZING!!!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh what a great story - glad it happened - your bear is amazing!
Danni

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Oh, happy, happy dance for you, Aleta!! :dance:  :dance: I'm so excited for you!!! Well done! bear_thumb  :clap: Thank you for sharing your story. I'm just so thrilled. Wa-hoo!! :hug:
Debora

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

OH!!! Aleta Hon! I am so tickled! That is awesome and so well deserved! What a gorgeous entry and so deserving! HUGE Hugs to you my Fuzzy Slipper Friend!!

Hugs Louise

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Dear Aleta,

I am so happy for you and you really deserve this my friend! Big Congratulations.

Such a sweet bear and doll.

Hugs
Carolyn

:hug:  bear_flower  :hug:

sarahjane Brisbane

Congratulations Aleta and thank you for sharing your story!!!  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Fabulous bear too!!!

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

How nice when great things happen to great people!
Congratulations Aleta!

yahoo.gif

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Aleta, congratulations !!!!!!!
What a beautiful Panda lady(what's her name ?)!!!!  bear_wub
I love love love your bear!!  :hug:

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Congratulations Aleta - it is totally deserved!!

I know exactly how you feel - I was fighting back the tears when I won a British Bear Artist Award in December and that was in a room crowded with onlookers!!  :doh:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Congratulations Aleta ....... I am so happy for you :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :dance:  :dance:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

FINALLY, Aleta posted - YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!    It's 3:30 a.m. and I found out this afternoon that Aleta had been nominated - my niece phoned me.  Anyway, I was dying to post it, ( I do have a little trouble keeping the old mouth closed LOL) but it wasn't my honour and didn't want to spoil it for Aleta.  I'm glad the cat's out of the bag and CONGRATULATIONS! You deserve it!

big hugs,

Brenda

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb
Lynette

beary_clairey Luton

CONGRATULATIONS ALETA

What a great story, it must feel so wonderful to be bestowed such an honour. Something some of us may never feel. So you enjoy it !!!!

Hugs

Claire

laurel__hardy.gif

zemeski Posts: 434

That is GREAT news Aleta!! Congratulations!! I know you must be on cloud nine!! :dance:

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

What a fantastic story Aleta!  I'm so happy it ended on an EXTREMELY positive note!  I couldn't be happier for you!

bear_wub  bear_smile

Kim Basta

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Congratulations Aleta!!!! Iam so happy for you and you have said it so well, I felt the exact same way! Your bear & her dolly are wonderful!

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Aw, Aleta!  :hug: I'm completely thrilled for you!!  :dance:  You and your GORGEOUS bear certainly deserve the nomination. Giant panda hugs and CONGRATULATIONS!! :clap:  bear_flower

K Pawz Guest

Thanks Aleta I really needed to hear that, I have been putting on the brave face, and the I shouldn't have even expected anything face, but it is wearing me thin, so I will give in to the dissapointment and try again!!!

Hugs,
Krista

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Aleta what a WONDERFUL story!  I could feel my heart dropping.... my mood becoming "sucky" with you... and then..... THE phone call.... and the adreneline rush!!!!  WhooHOOOOOOO!!!!!   I almost felt like it was me the way you wrote it!  AWEsOME job!!!

And oh yeah.. CONGRATULATIONS!!!  :hug:  :dance:  :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Darling Aleta!

You told your story so eloquently-and made me want to laugh and cry along with you.  Congratulations honey!

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Aleta.....The way you have described your feelings ,and emotions were so familiar to me...last evening!

Huge CONGRATULATIONS to you!!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Hugs,

Yvonne  bear_flower

Board footer