Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Doing my first mini and had a heck of a time stitching the nose. Since its the intersection for all three pieces of fabric there's thickness at the nose, even though the seam allowance is about 1/32. I used (I think) size 6 needle, very thin. I also used embroidery floss which isn't my favorite because its hairy. Is there any tricks to getting the nose right? Or is it just practice? I can see I will need to make many many bears before I get close to good at this. My bear head is no bigger than a quarter.

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Practice, practice and lots of practice...

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Jennifer!  I know what you mean about the embroidery floss tending to be "hairy!"  The most minute "fuzzies" on a mini can seem extaordinarily large in proportion.  They bug me too!  You can use a tiny paintbrush and a touch of acrylic gloss medium to smooth out those fuzzies and give your tiny nose a bit of a glow as well.  Acrylic mediums come in a matte finish and a satin type finish as well....  I've also used a by Luminex that is a "fabric medium" menat to be mixed with acrylic paints to make them a consistency that is more suitable for use on fabrics.

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Are you separating the floss into strands. I usually only use 2 or 3 strands at a time. I also use a longer needle - one strong enough for leverage.

Marion

Board footer