Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

It is poring out and my sholder and knees hurt badly.  Ibproption is not working tonight and it usually does.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

How many ibuprofens are you taking, Jenn?  I usually have to take 4 at a time to do much good.  That's OTC medicine, not prescription.  I do have a prescription for codeine if nothing else works.  Good luck . . . I can empathize with you.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

I try not to take much but I took four earlier tonight.

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Have you tried Naproxin?  I think the brand name is Aleve.  My husband takes it for his back and it seems to work for him.  It's an antiinflamatory.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I feel your pain, literally.

I broke my hand in two places last summer and exploded one of my knuckle joints. It was (is) a mess. I've had surgery on both sides of my hand. I am having more surgery in April. I have been in therapy since last July. I have terrible pain and it makes tying knots awful. I can't open or close my hand all the way. Some days I want to cry with my pain especially when its cold outside.

For me I have to take 800 mg of ibuprofen sometimes. I know that sounds like a lot but my hand throbs. Occasionally I will actually take Darvocet when ibuprofen won't cut the pain. The pain just gets to be too much which is why I type without capitals sometims - I can't reach the shift key!

Aleve aggravates my stomach but I know lots of folks take it and love the results. Another thing for aching back is a heating pad.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I take Glucosamaine twice a day .have course's of accupuncture and massage's  and Digesic if the pain gets too bad.. Sarah I really do feel for you.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Ellen I have been taking them for a couple of years now... it took a few months before I started to feel any benifit ... I only know it works when I run out and not taken them for a few days...

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

It's worth going to the doc's for blood tests to have the type of arthritis analysed.  They can then target a prescription.  My daughter has rheumatoid arthritis and in the past has been in progressive pain - awful to watch - but since being properly diagnosed and taking her medication regularly she can now move freely again and even swim again.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sorry I can't help. I hope you can get something to work. What a bummer. I didn't realize so many people had it. OUCH!

Also, I forget you Americans need a prescription for codine. We don't here in Canada unless you want the strong stuff.  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears
All Bear wrote:

My daughter has rheumatoid arthritis and in the past has been in progressive pain - awful to watch - but since being properly diagnosed and taking her medication regularly she can now move freely again and even swim again.

I'm glad it worked - I've had rheumatoid for a very long time but I'm allergic to all pain meds so have no pain control at all.  Such is life...........................

Kent
Website

Ooh, Sandra, I'm really sorry to hear that.  It's a frightening disease when it's uncontrolled.  Warmest (and gentlest!) hugs to you xx

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I have arthritis in my left hip. Tried Glucosomine, didn't seem to do much.  bear_ermm   Aleve worked only part time. bear_sad  I started taking Water Aerobics 2 days a week.... bear_original  WOW!!! WHAT A DIFFERENCE! My doctor took my leg to move it and noticed a big difference. :dance:   I do not, except occasionally, take Aleve or anything else. bear_original   The pain is still there some, but for the most part the pain is gone. :dance:  :dance:   The worst is when I twist the leg................like when I took the dog for a walk and slid on the ice....we came home immediately!

Good luck finding something that works.....when you do, stay with it.
pandamac

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I will share with you my Grandmother's secret for keeping arthritis away.  Every morning she drank a bit of apple cider vinegar and honey.  Grandma lived for 93 years and never suffered with arthritis.  She was never on any prescription or over the counter meds.  She strongly believed in the healing power of nutrition and herbs.  She was even invited to speak at several colleges in the area.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I have osteo-arthritis in my shoulder, knee and hip. I must say that acupuncture has been a large help to me and I'm generally pain-free. I do take Aleve (have it imported from the US since it's not available in Canada) and at times use my husband's naproxin.

Marion

OOOh Codine is good stuff!  As far as apple cider vinegar goes, did she drink it full strength?  I have some with water daily but I prefer full strength on a salad.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Grandma mixed a couple of tablespoons of vinegar with a bit of honey and then diluted it with water.  She drank this every morning.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Osteoarthritis is why I'm the proud owner/operator of 2 new knees!

I take Ansaid (anti-inflamatory), Aleve works for minor headaches and such, but absolutely need Glucosamine! On one of our European trips I ran out and thought I was falling apart! I never took the time to find more as we travelled about different countries. After a few days home & back on it, the old/new aches disappeared.

DH is on Nexium & Glucosamine/Chondroitin, but the G/C combo gave me a continual headache.

My latest knee therapy brought-to-fore old Lumbar back problems: I have to say that unless you're committed to MOVING you're going to continue to hurt no matter what else you do or you take! Gently stretching for an extended period of time EVERY SINGLE DAY is the best and safest way to build and/or condition your inner musculature and supporting tissue.

Outside workers (passive movement), like chiropracters and many therapists that move your body parts for you don't accomplish the same level of comfort and better living than do building up your own muscle by conditioning. It doesn't take much but it must be a continuing committment; it's said that every day 'down' loses 3 - 4 days of prior conditioning.

When I was a kid, I visited the Museum of Science & Industry here in Chicago. They had a display of a typical 40s style farm. Inside the farm kitchen was a rocking chair: stenciled across the back was  "Rest 10 Minutes of Every Hour." The Amer Heart Assn promoted this.
It shows our current lifestyle when the more apropos slogan now is:
Move 10 Minutes of Every Hour. (You know the rear shape of those that sit too long & are overweight???)

Let's at least keep what we've still got!

Billie Posts: 6

Emu Oil, it works wonders.
Billie

Kent
Website

Love that suggestion Billie, but where on earth do you source it????

Densteds Densteds
Website
All Bear wrote:

Love that suggestion Billie, but where on earth do you source it????

Hi Paula, here's a couple of sites that sell Emu Oil, there's an ebay shop that sells it too and they accept paypal.....or just google Emu Oil Products.

http://naturalhealthdirect.com.au/produ … cts_id=948

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Emu-Products_ … idZ2QQtZkm

I've been drinking ginger tea each night before bed and it really helps.
It's cheap to make just slice up a piece of ginger root about 3 inches long add it to boiling water  about 1-1 1/2 litres, cover & simmer for 15 minutes...I just keep it in the fridge and heat a cup full up each night to which I add a teaspoon of honey...it's good for whatever ails you plus it helps you sleep and it's very pleasant to drink!

Billie Posts: 6

Emu oil is the only product my family use for all ailments. It has been used by the Australian Aborigines for centuries as a healing product. Dr's use it now on 3rd degree burned victims as it is the only product that pentetrates and absorbs at a fast rate through to the skin.
It is confirmed that Emu oil naturally contains high levels of linolenic acid (a substance known to ease muscle aches and joint pain including arthritis) and oleic acid which provides a local anti-inflammatory effect.

Emu oil is proven to work on those that suffer with carpel tunnel as well, i first heard about it from reading the information on an Australian Bear artists newsletter last year as she too suffered with carpel tunnel and said by using the emu oil healed the pain she was enduring within a week and wrote about the other benefits Emu oil provides. It works for skin ailments such as ecsma, acne, bruises, burns, rashes, insect stings and treats hundreds of other problems. Only buy the pure oil though, some websites sell FAKE emu oil.  You can even use by rubbing on the face/hands/elbows anywhere your skin needs rejuventating, your skin absorbs it so quickly, the next morning you see a difference and the skin is so soft.  The emu oil is very cheap, comes in a bottle lasts for months around $10 to $22.00 canadian dollars. We buy the tablets as well.  It is the best natural product available, you only need read the testimonies on search engines as Google to see the results of healing.  We also buy the soaps and shampoos now and Emu oil is also used on our animals.  Excellent product I am so glad we heard about this.

If you search Google, you will come across a few websites that sell Emu Oil, read through their information if they are selling any 'chemical products' don't buy from them as it is highly likely they are blending the oil with other chemicals.  I have purchased from a retailer in Canada as i did not initially know where to get it from.  It's an Australian product and i emailed the artist who told me to purchase it from either a place called Emu Essence website www.emuessence.com.au or The Little Emu Farm www.littleemufarm.co.com.au as both these companies are selling legitimate Emu oil in it's purest form.

Do look into this product, you will be amazed with the results at little cost for a natural product with no chemical rubbish going into your body.
Billie

Kent
Website

It sounds fascinating stuff - many thanks to you both for the links!

I use emu oil.  there is a farm here.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Does Emu Oil have any odor? I'm definitely for less prescriptions if OTC works; I need to take a number of prescribed drugs + supplements daily. I tried Oz's Tea Tree Oil for ages and finally decided I just couldn't stomach it. I'm hypersensitive to smells.

Yes, even gentle stretching and exercising hurts a bit, but far less than the pain of not moving. A few years ago I would not have even taken the bet that those words will emit from my mouth or fingers, but having had 2 very expensive surgeries and seeing my *crippled* neighbor who had the same surgeries and who now sits at a computer plus reading all day, virtually stopped moving after his usual few months' of therapy end - and he cannot walk the length of our yeards w/o sitting down to rest his aching joints.

It scared me so much that I've slowly started taking off my 100 extra lbs (58 more to go!!) and MOVE every day! No wheelchairs @ 70 for me!

Neal - 38, our youngest, began fibro shortly after a horrendous auto accident a decade ago. He uses a Temperpedic mattress and it helps him. I have to sleep flat on my back for a neck problem but his bed it too firm for me. Their house is also too hot for us. I hadn't matched up the cooler temp thing; our house it quite a bit cooler and goes down even more at night. I like a warm little nest in a cold room.

We've had a Select Comfort for almost 20 years. DH has other spinal & shoulder problems (Ain't Life H--- ??!!) but it still wasn't quite form-fitting yet supporting enough so we've added two 3" Temperpedic mattress-toppers and it's as comfortable as we can get it. Unfortunately the room is only 10' sq so we cannot have even a queen bed in there and still be able to move around it! I didn't expect to still be in my starter home some 45 years later!!!

Play around with the Glucosamine or Gluc/Chon amounts. I need two 1000 mg tablets AM & PM to keep this level of (relative) comfort.

I've reached the age where I don't accept this any more. "The Good Doctor" is my paid employee and I won't be fobbed off with a lame excuse, for whatever reason he gave you this:

Our doctor is not going to do anything about it, he says I am too young to try any kind of treatment and said that for now I should just live with it.

Time to find another more enlightened Dr. Read online about the many many types of juvenile arthritis; help is available no matter how old you are!

Re: Mom with Parkinson's; Don also has a familial problem: about 10  years ago he began to note an 'essential tremor' in the hand he uses - his left.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/essent … or/DS00367
That doesn't make it any easier (for him) to deal with but you have my empathy!

And now my Oatmeal's done.
Speaking of Comfort, is a bowl of oatmeal one of your Comfort Foods? Or do you hate facing a gooey mass of sludge? I accidentally discovered a new was to cook rolled oats. I don't think it would work with steel-cut or Scots oats though; they have a different texture, more like barley. I use Quaker Oats' Old-Fashioned, in the familiar round box. Although I've also tried it with the same product from Cosco, the oat flakes are broken up a bit, more like their Minute Oats, and don't cook up as separately. Either they break up in the larger bulk container, or Quaker uses oats that are a bit more broken in processing but not as thin or broken as the Minute style. I just know that this doesn't work as well with them.

I do it in the microwave and it produces individually plumped up oats that remain separate and 'chewy'. No gumminess! I measure 3/4 to 1 cup of oats out with a pinch of salt. In a 2 quart (they really boil up) Pyrex measuring/cooking vessel, I pour 1  to 1.5 cup of water as hot as my tap can go. Microwave the water on High for about 3 min - it should be just about boiling. Pour in the salted oats carefully (Google - stirring or adding-to super-heated water. Sometimes it boils up)
Give the container a shake or stir to get all flakes wet/submerged.
Cook on High another 6 mins or so. Done to perfection!!!

Mine's cooled off in the microwaved while I typed this; 30 seconds of heating again and bring on the milk and a bit of brown sugar!

Board footer