Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

sarahjane Brisbane

Well I have been trying to make a bear but I keep getting distracted by the view out our front doors...these two cockatoos are making such a noise you wouldn't believe it!!! They are also harrassing a poor little possum to get out of their tree... bear_grin

bird1.JPG

bird2.JPG

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Oh my gosh that is so cool to have those birds out your window, right now the only bird we get are starlings and grackles and sometimes sparrows.
0grackle.jpg0youngcal.jpg

I swear its like living in an Edgar Allen Poe book

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Sarah what a wonderful view you have from your window... and don't those cockatoos make a dreadful noise when they are trying to get a possum out of a tree ..we had about 6 in the tree down the back yard and I can tell you the noise was horrendous

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I am, as always, just flabbergasted that you have these GORGEOUS birds flying about in the open air in Oz.  Lucky, lucky you!!!  They're beautiful.  That picture really made my night; thanks for sharing it.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Wow, aren't they cool!  I love watching birds, but we don't have anything nearly as exotic!

hugs,

Brenda

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

If you see cockatoos here in California, that means someone's pet bird got loose.

We have the biggest turkeys here.  I counted 50 yesterday in our back yard.  The toms are puffing up now for mating season.  I'd much rather have cockatoos and parrots to look at.  That's sooooo cool.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

wow, the only time I've seen those birds are in cages. I much prefer them this way, thank you.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

WONDERFUL Sarah!!! bear_grin  bear_grin I envy you your wonderfully mature trees.  bear_thumb
I have been having Galahs coming into the garden now that the church around the corner ripped up about 15 mature gum trees. I actaully stood there in tears trying to comprehend the destuction on this now vacant destroyed space.  They were roosting trees for the Galahs. Now there are noisy squabbles because there just arent enough trees for them all. I'm glad I dont have to contend with Cockatoos as well bear_grin
Jodi , your a crackup. Do they collect blue objects??? The Crows here do. Its rather interesting come courting time with all the different blue objects the collect. bear_grin
Wendy bear_thumb

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

gorgeous view you have there  bear_wub    bear_wub   I hope they quieten down a bit and leave the poor possum alone!  If you get a photo of the possum you'll have to post it here  bear_smile

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

you would not believe the amount of money people pay for those birds over here!!

how lovely to have them free in your yard.

Marion

zemeski Posts: 434

I can't believe those birds are bothering an animal larger than they are. They are bold birds!! Thanks for sharing. bear_flower

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

You have a wonderful view Sarah and what neat cockatoos, thanks for sharing.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

sarahjane Brisbane

Well the cockatoos achieved their objective which was to get rid of the possum...the poor little thing ended up inside the wall of our house!!!  bear_shocked  (we are renovating) and my husband had to climb up on the roof with a broom and fish it out!!!

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

What a gorgeous view you have Sarah Jane! And to have wild cockatoos in you yard seems quite exotic to this winterbound American! How funny that they don't like sharing their tree! I suppose possums eat eggs though, so not so funny after all. I love these little glimpses of life in other places. Thank you for posting! bear_flower

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Wow, look at your view!  Poor possum, hope he found a new home  bear_ermm

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

That poor possum's having a rough go of it!   bear_sad  Seems no one wants him in their home. 

Are those Elenora cockatoos?  I think they're also called Greater Sulfer crested cockatoos.  Boy, they do go for a fortune in the States.  Blimey can they yell, though.  I used to work in a pet store that raised and sold parrots of all sorts.  People used to say the macaws were loud...they had nothing on the cockatoos in full swing  bear_thumb

Thanks for sharing the pics  :photo:  :hug:

sarahjane Brisbane

Debbie I have never heard them called Elanora cockatoos, but they are called sulphar crested cockatoos over here...so they must be the same and they are sooo loud, especially at 5 o'clock in the morning.  bear_ermm  We are really lucky to be able to see these birds in the wild I guess we don't appreciate it enough. bear_smile

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Is that water or distance in the background?

If nothing else, it indicates that your land is not flat! THAT I envy you for!!!!

sarahjane Brisbane

Ahhh Bobbie...that is water you can see and yes you are right we are about half way up a hill!!  We are very lucky with the spot we live, my husband bought the house (falling down around our ears!!  bear_grin ) off his nana when she became too old to maintain it.  Then she continued to live here until she could no longer look after herself.  But we are very, very lucky...I'd live here in a tent if I had too!!!  bear_laugh

Board footer