Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

tarnuf Hamilton New Zealand

Hi Everyone  :hug:

I have just brought a beautiful gold crushed velvet material. I am wondering if any one has used it to make teddy bears in before. It has a good backing on it. Is there anything special I need to do with it before, I make the bear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  bear_wub

Kind Regards
Tania  bear_flower

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oooo.... that sounds pretty!  What is the backing like?  Does it have any stretch?  I use upholstery velvet all the time for my minis, and I used a high quality garmet velvet a couple of times before.  If it has any stretch to it, you might want to consider applying a layer of muslin to the back, just to cut down or eliminate the stretch.  Other than that, i think fraying is really only the other "issue" to consider... give it a cut, pull at the cut edge and see how the fabric behaves.  If there is a great deal of fraying, you might wnat to use a product like FrayCheck, or a dilute solution of PVA glue & water around the cut edges of of your pattern.  Anyone else feel free to jump in... those were just the two things that sprang to mind....
Can't wait to see!!!!   bear_wub  bear_smile
Kim Basta

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Great minds think alike,  hee hee.

I thought that lining it would be a good idea...

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I think Kim has said it all Tania ... it should make up lovely. Just be aware of your stitches make sure they are very small if you are doing it by hand and try and get as good a match as you can with your thread.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I have a feeling that it is the gold velvet I have used. The back had stretch and it frayed.
The colour is magnificent though and makes a wonderful bear.  I did find though the the vibrance of the gold seemed tarnished by the time I finished the bear. 
I suggest 'all of the above' advice + dont turn body parts until ready to stuff, And just maybe ..... cotton gloves might be a good idea when handling.............. I cant wait to see it finished. All the best with it!! bear_thumb

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Just popped in, missing you all. This caught my eye as I used to make loads of these bears (sorry no photos). I did 9" to 14" ones. I used to use plastic beads to stuff the limbs, tum and loose stuff the head with fibre as the fabric has some stretch, which actually works well for flopsy type bears. I had gold, fawn and dark brown fabric. Real vintage 1970's curtains! Yuk to the curtains, but brill for bears.

Watch the fibre when cutting as it goes all over the place. I dressed some. They were quite quick to make when I got going and  I sold them for less than the mohair so they were popular with younger collectors.

Board footer