Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

They come and go just as they like..... they come in for a feed, I can hand feed them. They are meat eaters so I give them minced meat... these are just one type of bird we get into our garden, and we can had feed a few diffrent types of birds. These are one of about 75 diffrent birds we get... I love this country for the bird life we have I am always in awe of the birds that come in. This is a family of Kookaburra's.
230121494.jpg

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Wow Patsy those are cool looking birds!  bear_cool

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

That is soooooooooo cool Patsy!

AndreaM bear_original

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

ABOUT TIME PATSY. I've been waiting impatiently for photos of your birdlife.
That pic is marvelous!!!! I just love Kookaburras!!. You are so lucky!!!!!!
MORE PHOTOS PLEASE!!!!!!(big cheeky grin) bear_thumb

Yellow crested Cockatoos have arrived in the district. We dont get them here. This shows how dry it is inland.
They have come here for the water.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Isnt it great to sit and see what nature gives us, we have a bird bath just outside where I sit and spend time on my pc. Often birds come in and spash and bath- how it makes me feel at peace watching them.

thanks for the pictures.
Lynette.

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

What a great photo Patsy! They look so neat all lined up like that. What a wonderful variety of birds you have. I love watching the birds at our feeder. Right now we mainly have just cardinals, blue jays, robins and snow birds.
I love seeing everyone's wildlife!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub   Ooh Patsy - they are beautiful - looks like you live int he most ideal place  bear_wub  Where's my invite?? HMMM!!
Danni

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Patsy, what an excellant piccie.

We have befriended 3 magpies or should I say they have befriended us.  Quite a few times during the day they come to the back door and warble for their bread.  It is so great, however they are making a mess of the out door chairs.   One followed me into the lounge room when I had left the front door open and sat pleased as punch on the dining room chair....until the dog woke up,,,,didn't chase the bird but the bird stressed itself out looking for the way out and deposit such on the tiles as he flew out...missed the carpet thank-goodness.

Tomorrow will try and get a piccie of them when they arrive for their brekky...

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Danni any time your up this way you would be more than welcome...

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Patsy, they are breathtaking!  :clap:

Kookaburras are my most favourite Australian native. I am not a bird person at all but there is just something fascinating about them. I remember staying in the Dandenongs and being woken by the Kookaburras laughing; I could listen to them for hours!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Thanks for sharing this great photo with us Patsy. The Kookaburras look so cute sitting all in a row. You are so lucky to have such beautiful birds there in Australia.

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

How lovely to have these in the garden.  I would never be away from the window if I had those.

Warm wishes
Pauline

puca bears puca bears

Wow, Patsy - what a stunning photo - I am SO envious!!! I just love kookaburras -t ho' the nearest I ever got to hand-feeding one was at a public BBQ spot - I dropped a sausage, and a Kookaburra was on it, almost before it hit the ground - and with a beak like that, it's not a bird you'd want to argue with!
And as for the magpies - stunning birds, but aggressive when they are nesting...I had heard stories of them attacking, but got the shock of my life when it happened to me...I was just strolling along, under some Norfolk Island Pines, when something BIG whooshed past my ear, with a very loud clack of it's beak...... I also remember one of my cats "bailed up" under a bush, by a menacing gang of maggies!
Do you ever get splendid wrens? They have got to be one of the prettiest birds ever - I only saw them in aviaries, in W.A.
huggies
Maria

magpie-3.jpgmagpie-2.jpgWell Gals,

Here are my visiting magpies.   They turned up last night for tea.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I loooooooooooooooove kookaburras!  My dad used to whoop-whoop like one just for fun; he thought they were brilliant birds.  "Hoo-ooo-ooo-ooo Waa-aaa-aaa-aaa!"  They have a great, unique silhouette.

Those magpies are so pretty, too; I'm not sure I've ever seen one before.  How big are they?

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

You know I have yet to hear a kookaburra's laugh?  I used to wait for ages by their cages at the zoo, but never a peep.  They look so pretty all lined up and waiting.   bear_happy

Ooh, and the magpies are lovely too.  Good thing they left their deposits on the tiles rather than the carpet.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

What a wonderful photo Patsy - I do love kookaburras and the song they sing and they always seem so happy.
I remember the old song we used to sing ...
Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree....

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

That's a great photo Patsy!  And I have that song in my head now too Carolyn.

Denise, I have both fond and horrible memories of magpies.  When we lived on the farm they were one thing we were petrified of as kids.  Very very territorial - my Mum used to have to go down to the mailbox with a broom to beat them off her, as they would swoop and peck the back of her head...and though we kids roamed pretty much freely all over the farm, we never ever went anywhere near the "magpie paddock" in nesting season.

However, when we moved to town, we had a wonderful 'pet' magpie who would come and visit every day.  We called her Maggie, and she would talk - as in real words.  Not long after we moved, my mum could hear someone calling out "hello" and she couldn't see anyone at the door.  After a while, she noticed Maggie the magpie sitting on our verandah railing.  She would get on Mum's arm and be petted.  We never found out where she came from or who had orignially befriended her. 

Magpies have a great song as well - one of our most 'iconic' New Zealand poems is called "The Magpies" And though my parsing will be wrong, the first verse goes like this...and it really is what their song is like. 

When Tom and Elizabeth took the farm,
the bracken made their bed
and quardle oodle ardle wardle doodle
the magpies said

That is exactly what they sound like Melissa.

Shelli, I suppose the maggies would be about 10" or so from tail to beak.  Quite a large bird.

Board footer