Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I have made quite a few minis before and have to say that the bit I dread most is the nose. I've never had a problem with stitching the noses of my 6"+ bears but I find embroidering the noses of my minis a nightmare!! I think it's because of the seam allowance behind where you stitch - alot of the time I just can't get a needle through it!

Now, some of you embroider beautiful noses on your mini's and I'd like to know if you have any tips to make mine as pain free as possible...literally! I've forgotten how many times I've ended up with the eye of the needle in the end of my finger!  bear_ermm

Many thanks!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I use plyers.  I stitch the whole nose holding the needle with a set of beading plyers...I use them for bigger bears too when its hard to get through the fur, but works a treat on those teensy noses. 
And yup...I just stuck another needle under my nail today, ouch bear_cry Glad its not just me thats prone to it hehe

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Gemma..... perhaps you could try snipping off a bit more of the seam allowance?...stitch closer to the edge?.... and if you are concerned about it fraying use some fray check or a bit of watered down glue.  Make sure you push the nose right out when you turn the head... really work it inside there to press all the seams flat or smooth them out a lot.... ...but also be a bit careful dong it as you don't want to poke a hole!! Yikes!!     Also.. do you pluck out all of the fur on the inside as well on the outside on the space where you want to embroider ? ..that helps make it less bulky plus none of it there to work its way through the stitches.  Let me see.. what else? ..oh, for sure use your thimble or a pair of pliers to push the  needle through and also to pull it out the other side...I use needle nose..or even my haemostat if it is not ultra tough to pull out....that is about it.....oh, and I also have a little round piece of rubber that I routinely use to hold onto my needle if it is just a bit tough to push through the fabric

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

fray check

Ohhh , don't use Fray Check if you can get other products!! It runs beyond the cutting lines, turns VERY stiff and makes it even harder to sew through!!

If you don't care for the standard metal thimbles, check into the many styles of Clover leather thimbles, with the dime-sized dimpled metal disk insert. I use several styles, as the spot I push with is half way between the edge of my nail and the finger pad - just turn it until the disk sits over your favored stitching spot.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I understand your horror of fraycheck Bobbie. There are many varieties that behave quite differently from each other. I have three different fray checks . One having a more 3D effect. The next is a tad tooo thick to use on a mini. I prefer that one for nose and feet for larger bears and the other is one that you dont like because it is hard to control and has a tendency to run over the line.  It takes practice but it can be applied so that it just runs over the line. It must of course be applied on the outside of the line. Since I cut right on the line if works a treat for me.
I use pliers and little sticky plastic patches on my finger to stop the wearing through of my skin.
Wendy bear_thumb

Calgary, Alberta
Website

Can't say I have ever had any problems with it....and I stitch very close to the edge.  I run a micro-bead of it along the very edge.. it really doesn't go anywhere and there is not enough of it to make it difficult to stitch through......

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Thank you all so much! I do use my forceps to pull the needle through but I still find it difficult to get really neat stitches. I have to re-shape the head after stitching the nose too as you need such a grip it shifts the stuffing!!!

I must admit, I've never had a problem with fray check either. I don't usually have to use it on miniatures though as I tend to use Sassy fabric (most of which don't need fray checking).

Australia

whoops pliers not plyers...can tell i don't spell check lol

Veronica, I love those little rubber pully thingys

Oh really Gemma, hmmm I don't know how to help you with that...I just grab the head and yank away with the pliers and it all stays in place..fur is a little messy, but a trip to the beardresser when finished fixes that...I stab in the bottom part of the nose, push hard and reposition until i get to just the right place and then pull pull pull on the other side,....sometimes it must sound like I'm going through childbirth...one more pull, breathe, grunt, its through...Okay..one more stitch should do it  :crackup: lol

sarahjane Brisbane

Rubber gloves is my secret...I've snipped the fingers off some old rubber gloves and I now wear them whenever I'm stitching noses of any kind!!

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

I've found I only have problems when I stuff the head with cotton. If I use polyfil or wool then the stitches are easier to pull. I also use those little rubber thingies, pliers and I use a golf glove for those really tough ones. I also use the golf glove when string jointing or anything else that requires a good grip as it keeps my fingers from being cut with the thread.

Hugs,

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Oh Gemma bear_sad  The pain of bear making!!  bear_ermm  Is like Sarah said. After all we are bringing a bear to life! bear_grin  My mom used to tell me that the seamstress that did not wore a thimble was not a good seamstress.....Well I never was able to used one them and I can't now!! If I put one on, I become all fingers and I just can't do it!! I guess that it will be the best thing to protect your poor fingers and there are many kinds now like some of you said. The way I do it, like many of you do, is with pliers. I have to try the rubber gloves bear_thumb
Sorry I was not able to be of any help bear_sad
Have a great weekend ladies
Bear hugs and Golly smiles.
Gladys bear_flower

Australia

Sarah, Gijzette, I use the glove too for tightening and pulling threads, only mine is a gardening glove...

Isn't it amazing how many unconventional "things" we use in our work  bear_wacko

Calgary, Alberta
Website

yep.... and therein lies a whole new topic! lol

Katrina's Miniatures Katrina's Miniatures
Website

Well, I'm not exactly a pro at noses yet either, but I have some things that help me.  I use my hemostats sometimes to pull the needle through, but I also use a quilting thimble to push it through when I can.  I could never use a regular thimble either Gladys!  Fortunately, my dad makes thimbles.  They're more form-fitted to your finger and made out of very durable plastic.  Here's a link to the website if you're interested http://quilterslittlehelper.com/
I use the diamond thimble for noses and the w'nder thimble for normal hand sewing.
On the topic of rubber gloves, I've never tried it, but my mom uses finger cots sometimes for hand sewing.  She loves them.

Katrina

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

sarahjane wrote:

Rubber gloves is my secret...I've snipped the fingers off some old rubber gloves and I now wear them whenever I'm stitching noses of any kind!!

Sarah that is a brilliant idea!! Thank you!!!

I have been using pliers to pull the needle thru.  I'm going to try stuffing the noses with wool (needlefelting core wool) to see if that's easier... later today.

I also found that if your needle is dull... it's really hard to work with... ESPECIALLY on noses!!  I like to use a quilt basting needle for my minis' noses.

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

Have you tried sculpey clay for the nose??

Doesn't hurt your fingers.

Board footer