Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

sarahjane Brisbane

Help I am writing a pattern to go in a magazine and I need a professional looking diagram for a cotter pin wobble joint....only trouble is I don't have the first idea how to do this.

I have managed a few simple diagrams in photoshop but trying to do this one with all the different curves etc has me beat....... bear_wacko

Aside from scanning one from someone elses pattern which I don't want to do because of copyright problems I'm not sure how to go about it, I have tried drawing it but it just looks very amaturish...... bear_ermm

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I wonder whether the magazine you are working with has one that they use for bear patterns?  They are very professional and re drafted my whole pattern when I worked with them, re wrote my instructions, I would say that they would probably re do any diagrams too lol

Oh, you know what I did, I took a photograph of the jointing system in my bear as it was child safe, so that is another option.  I'm pretty sure Hayley took photos as she was working on it too and they include these.

talk soon xx

sarahjane Brisbane

Thanks Sarah...I'll ask them, I should have thought of that!!  :redface:

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

That has answered something I have been wondering about.  How do the patterns in the magazines be so straight and correct, as when I am drawing up my patterns the lines are not perfect.... sometimes a bit "skew wiff.."

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Ditto the magazines will professionally draw your diagrams up,  there is no need to worry, good luck with your work Sarah Jane  :clap:

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia
tuppies teddies wrote:

That has answered something I have been wondering about.  How do the patterns in the magazines be so straight and correct, as when I am drawing up my patterns the lines are not perfect.... sometimes a bit "skew wiff.."

You are so right Denise, its hard to get precision when you draw, even with the most exact hand drawing around a gussett one side will be a tinsy bit different due to direction you are holding your pen or pencil. 
Unfortunately, only some magazines employ professional drafts people, I've worked both ways and let me tell you, that little bit of extra 'finishing' makes a world of difference.

mickeyflip Sunshine Coast, QLD

sarahjane I use Adobe Illustrator to create my patterns.  It creates a kind of image called "vector".  Basically it means the image will be infinitely scalable without any loss of image quality whatsoever.
It is expensive software, but I have it because I'm a graphic designer.  It would be what the magazines are using to create the really neat drawings you're reffering to.
If you ever get stuck I'd be happy to help you out!  Just email me a scan and I'll trace it out in Illustrator if you'd like - it only takes a minute bear_original  Or if you can just describe what you're trying to show I could manage that for you as well.  The same can be done for hand drawn patterns. 
Just let me know if I can be of any assistance - that goes for anyone bear_happy

sarahjane Brisbane

Thanks Erin...I might take you up on that. I want my pattern to look pretty professional when I send it in to this magazine and I would only need the diagram done once then I could use it whenever I needed it!!  bear_original

I will send you an email in the next day or two... :hug:

mickeyflip Sunshine Coast, QLD

That's right :)

And the beauty of it is that you'll be able to just print it at home and scale it up or down whenever you like.  I'll show you how if it comes to that.

sarahjane Brisbane

Thank you so much Erin...during the week wen the kids are at school and I have more time I'll send you the diagram I drew.. bear_ermm   It would be great to know how to scale things up and down etc!!

Board footer