Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

honeypothollow Posts: 30

hello!  i've just started to make the minis, and i've gotten alot of info from reading posts.  i decided to try them after having alot of left over bits and pieces.  it drives my husband nuts because i save the smallest pieces.  i have a box full of them!  LOL!!

through reading the posts, i've seen quite a few different ideas on jointing.  i've heard of most of them.  but there was one that caught my attention, and i couldn't for the life of me, picture what it was.  someone said that they used brass fasteners.  what are they?

i would love to try cotter pins but i have problems with my hands, so can't turn them.  my dad gave me boxes of them to try from his work shop, and they hurt to use.  i've done the sequen and beads for the head, then thread jointed the arms and legs.  but i would really like to joint the arms and legs.  some of my thread joints seem too tight, and the arms and legs don't want to move.  but i'm so afraid of doing them too loose. 

i really like making the little ones.  they seem to be alot more work, but i love how they come out.  i'm used to making bears that are 10 to 36 inches tall, so these are definately a change.  i think the smallest one that i've done so far is 2 inches. 

if anyone can help, i would greatly appreciate it.  i have already gotten alot of ideas to improve my bears from reading posts, and am hoping someone can help.

thank you in advance!  take care everyone!!!!!
jen

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hi Jen,

We use cotterpins for our mini bears.  I know you say you have troubles turning the cotter pins, but on a small mini the cotterpin is not near as difficult to turn, they are very flexible so you might be able to do it with no pain.  If not then show your husband what has to be done and get him to turn down the cotterpins for you  bear_original .  I didn't care for thread jointing either, I know lots of people do it but it jus wasn't for us.

big hugs

Shane

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi Jen,

I'm thinking maybe the cotter pins you used were more industrial and not what you might find for minis through a bear supply shop.  I've purchased mini pins so tiny and delicate I'm afraid I might snap them.  Using a cotter key can take some pressure of your wrists too...pliers stink  (as I'm now finding with bigger bears!)

I've always used a cotter pin head joint and thread jointed my mini's.  It just took practice to get the tension where I liked it.  I've never heard of the brass fasteners...but I'm thinking it could be a variation on a cotter pin using those brass fasteners you'd find at an office store (??)  Jeez...that's an interesting thought.... I guess you could roll them down like a pin (??) But they're not real sturdy, so maybe that's not it.  Anyone know?
I've seen some older bear making books where they teach you how to make mini joints using straight pins and plastic disks you make from hole punching margarine lids. Never done that, but I've read it.

Most of the supply places sell joint sets.  You can try out a few different kinds of pins before you invest in a bulk package of one kind.

:hug:
~Chrissi

thanks chrissi and shane!  that helps out alot.  seeing as my dad is a welder by trade, i'm sure the ones he gave me are industrial.  LOL!!  but, he was only trying to help.  i found some places on line to get some of the ones that you all speak of.  i'm definately going to try them.  i also ordered a cotter key.  that looks like it would make my world a whole lot easier.  i never knew that they existed.  LOL!!   i guess that shows that i still have alot to learn.  thanks for all of the help.  it is much appreciated.  i'll be sure to let you know how they work out. 

thanks again guys!

take care!!

jen

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Don't use brass fasteners! They're the flat legged ones used to hold a file of paperwork together!
The size hole these create while turning (supposing that you get them in smoothly), will literally tear a large hole in the fabric spot. And there are no washers that fit these!!!

thank you so much for the warning.  i will definately stay way from them.  i'm going to try a few others.   thanks for the help!!   

jen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I would think that brass fastners would "tarnish" as well and stain the fabric...

I use mini cotter pins and mini washers for minis (although i havent made a mini bear in ages - other than my felted bears but they are string jointed)

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

When I was starting out I used tiny plastic eyes as joints (the ones with the metal back that you push on).  These worked really well actually.  This was before I discovered that you could get tiny joints and cotter pins.

does anyone have a step by step on how to use the headpins for the joints?  i've been looking around, and haven't been able to find any instructions.  or, if someone could point me to a book that may have it?  i figured that could be another one for me to try.

who would've thought that i could get so confused over teddy joints.  LOL!!!  but like i've said, i'm pretty new to the mini bears.  i'm used to alot bigger.  but, i find the little ones so addicting.  i love my big guys, but these little ones are going to be hard to give up.  i think that i'll stick with them for a bit.  they use so little fabric, that it helps make it last.  i'm just trying to perfect the details.  they are so much harder to do on the little guys.  but, i'm getting there.

thanks to all that have helped out with information.  i greatly appreciate it.

jen

Hi Jen,
I have a few mini books from over the years....just took a look and the head pin/plastic disk method is in Debbie Kesling's book "How to make enchanting miniature teddy bears".  Personally I think it's one of the better mini books, containing some really cute projects.  Her pictures are all close up and in color and she's very clear with instructions. You can find a used copy right now on amazon for $10.00 in very good condition. bear_flower

~Chrissi

suburban Chicago

CotterCM.jpgCotterIN.jpg

Speaking of jointing minis, I wanted to show these very small cotter pins: description with my invoice says - 1/16th"wide and 1/2" long. The images show them as the true size, in inches and centimeters.

In my contiinual struggle to de-stash and Get Organized, I found some more of these mini cotterpins that I used to retail. I'll be posting them on *that* auction site after I source out the washers to go with them.

I imported these from England and they are extremely difficult to find. They are the smallest I've ever found!

Bonnie,
I've used the same t pins and have a bag of the round head pins, same size.  Those are the "tiny delicate" pins I was referencing above.  They're tough, but look like they could just snap with air..they're so little!  Christie Bears is one of my favorites for mini stuff...and the only place that I can find with growlers so far.  I've never used a growler, but want to...and the only place that seems to sell online is Christie's.

~Chrissi

thank you so much guys.  i'm going to be getting that book.  you guys have all been so helpful so far, so if you say that is the one to get, then that's what i'll get.  haha!  i went out for a bit today with hubby, and found some interesting mohair at the fabric store.  it doesn't look like the ones for teddy bears that i've seen.  i'm sure it is probably for some sort of clothing.  but i loved how soft it was, and i thought it would make a very nice distressed looking bear.  it has a pile to it, but it is a strange type, almost felted, but not.  i'm sorry.  i wish i could describe it better.  i started with it, and so far, it is working wonderful.  but, like you all know...  i really can't tell until the whole bear is done.

take care and thanks for the help!!  i'll be picking up the book!!!   take care everyone!!!!!

jen

suburban Chicago

i'm sure it is probably for some sort of clothing.  but i loved how soft it was, and i thought it would make a very nice distressed looking bear.  it has a pile to it, but it is a strange type, almost felted, but not.

It's most likely for coating or heavier suits. The word for this would be Fulled, with a bit of 'teasing' (from the original tool - the teasel plant/weed seed pod) mechanically to raise the nap.
Felted/felting is what's done to fiber.
Fulling is done to fiber that's been turned into cloth, through weaving, knitting, etc...

suburban Chicago

i started with it, and so far, it is working wonderful.

Did it cut out OK? Or I should say, is it sewing OK? Often the edges (Seam allowances) need to ve overcast to keep them from 'unweaving/fraying.
The woven mohair fabrics I've seen have a somewhat softer weave, that is to say, not as tightly woven as most fabric, to take advantage of the natural hand or drape effect, and to let the 'halo' of the mohair to pouf.

it cut pretty well.  not to bad.  i did notice what you said about the weave being somewhat loose.  so far, it has sewn ok,  but only did the body.  haven't turned it yet.  eyes are going cuckoo from working on them.  i had been working on a different one prior to that, so eyes don't want to work.  i'm going to work on it in the morning.  i'l be sure to let you know if i still like after i turn it.  i just thought it was neat and looked like i could make a distressed look with it.  i figured that i wouldn't know until i tried.  i plan on getting some of the sassy fabrics that i've heard alot about here, but haven't had the chance to do it yet.  i may try to order a little bit tomorrow.  any recommendations on which ones you like to work with?  there are so many to choose from. 

hopefully i'll get my new tiny cotter pin joints and cotter key by the end of the week.  i'm ordering the debbie kesling book to try the head pin joints as well.  it just stinks to have wrists that hurt like mine do.  makes things so much harder.  but, i'm hoping with these new cotter pins and the cotter key, it will make things nice and easy.  :)

talk to you all soon.  i'll let you know in the morning how that mohair is working.  keep your fingers crossed.

take care.

jen

ok...  here's the deal with that mohair that i'm trying.  it comes out cute, but definately needs the fray check.  i like the look it gives.  very old looking.  but, at the opening where you would stuff, it does fray a little bit.  enough to be a hassle.  but, it sews pretty well.  i was surprised.  so, now... off to the store to get a few things, and will try it with the fray check.  hopefully, that is all it will take. 

also, should have my sassy fabrics by saturday.  i've also ordered from intercal too.  i've ordered some joints as well as some mohair.  i looked in the off cuts to see what they had.  i figured that i hadn't worked with it before, so i may as well start small.  hope to have a pic of one of these guys up by the end of the weekend.  thanks for all of your help.  it has definately saved me alot of frustration. 

bye!!

jen

Board footer