Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi everyone,

I'm in the mood for making a mini bear, I used to make some minis but moved to larger bears but am starting to get the mini bug again!! 

My main question is that I see most of you use the gorgeous looking sassy fabrics, which pile and fabric (non stretching) is best for minis?  Do any of you folks from Europe order from Sassy too, do you get charged import tax when it arrives at your door?  I'm worried about ending up paying a huge amount for postage due to this..
Gosh, I don't know where you would start choosing, there are sooo many yummy looking fabrics  bear_shocked   

Do you use mini cotter pin joints (I'm thinking under 6") in all the joints or do you string joint the arms and legs?

What do you use for string jointing so that it is sure to last the test of time? 

I'm not sure what size eyes to order for the minis, hard to imagine when I've got used to using such bigger eyes?!

Thanks for your help,
Big or should I say mini hugs!
Catherine
x

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Hi Catherine, I personally LOVE the Sassy's long pile and Sassy's frosted mini fabrics - they are fantastic to work with! I also love the extra long pile cashmere which I used on my 3.25" bears. I joint all of my mini's with cotter pins - even my latest 2.25" one!!

I have never had a problem with tax on Sassy's fabric. The postage is a fantastic price too - no silly costs added on!

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Catherine - oooh a Bumpkin mini, can't wait to see!!   bear_wub  bear_wub

I second all that Gemma has said - I just received an order from Stephanie yesterday (thanks Stephanie!!   bear_wub ) and the delivery is AMAZINGLY fast to me here in England, I've not had any customs issues and have always been over the moon with my order.   I've used Sassy long pile, smokey pile and the synthetic (with the guard hairs - not sure what it's called!) it's all wonderful quality and a pleasure to work with.   I'd recommend Sassy to anyone for minis - just perfect!!   

With regard to the eyes, on tiny bears I use Onyx beads,and I have got some 2mm boot buttons which I have used too, depends what sort I'm making.   I have string jointed and cotter pin jointed - I personally prefer to cotter pin joint, it's a fiddly job, but I think the joints move better that way.

Have fun!!   :hug:  :hug:

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Hi Catherine

I use Sassy´s fabric too. Frosted long pile and the synthetic. She have so much lovely fabric for minies
so just go for it  bear_wub  bear_wub
Stephanie sends it as gift, so you don´t have to pay tax, and she is really fast. :clap:
I joint all my minies too. For the eyes, I use 3 mm and 4 mm ( I like big eyes on minies, to get the awwww effect)

Here is one of my latest made of Sassy long pile:
Bramble Wood is 3 inch

bramblewood.JPG

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Sassy Bears sends orders to me and they all are processed the normal way which means that every parcel entering the country has to go thru a central clearing office. Normally I pay the GST/VAT on the value, rarely will I pay any duties. Sometimes I am fortunate and the parcels are just delivered with no charges what so ever, the other day I was surprised to have one delivered right to my door !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hahh no waiting in a queue to collect the parcel.

Lynette

Donna A Brandon Bears
Fort Worth Texas

Catherine,
I've ordered from Sassy fabrics and LOVE the fabric descriptions. Very detailed.
My first order consisted of almost every type of mini fabric. Keep in mind some are stretchy and
need the magic fabric fixer. That stuff is MAGIC. Easy to use and does not soak thru and mess up the
'fur'.  I had some questions and they were answered within hrs.

Donna A.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Catherine: When I was looking for that wonder vintage long pile mini fur (made by Malden Mills), I asked Stephanie from Sassy's what is the best fur that is like that. She wrote back saying "The Sassy Long Pile (see Cassie) is a fabric I had custom made to resemble the Vintage Long Pile we all love. It has the grid backing that does not fray and has 1/8" pile. The Smokey Long Pile (see Wesley) is another fabric I had custom made, it is the same type, but a little less dense with a black background. It looks more like a miniature version of sparse mohair".

Stephanie also wrote saying  "The Ex-Long Cashmere will be perfect for the bear you want to make. It is dense and trims well. Here is a pic of 1 of my bears with this fabric (Gina's Bear). It does have a knit back so has some stretch to it. I use the Magic Fabric Fixer on the backing and have no problems with it. Here is the page on that: "
http://www.sassybearsandfabrics.com/Mag … cFixer.htm

Hope this helps.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh cool, can't wait to see a Bumpkin mini  bear_wub

Antwerp, Belgium

I can't thank you all enough for your help and encouragement about making a Bumpkin Bears mini :hug:   I've got a few projects I am making myself finish before starting a mini but I have already drawn out a little pattern and can't wait to order some of sassy's fabrics - they look gorgeous bear_original  Do most of you use onyx beads for the eyes, do you buy them also from Stephanie?  For turning the mini cotter pins do you have to have a mini cotter pin turner, I have one for my medium sized joints but not sure if that will be too big?  I'll be sure to come back and ask you other things as I come across problems - thanks for your help bear_thumb  bear_flower

Mini hugs!
Catherine
x

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Hi Catherine

I use 3 mm black glass eyes or 3 mm onyx beards for the eyes.
As for the turning the mini cotter pins I just use a pair of tongs (is that the right word ?)

Can´t wait to see your mini  bear_thumb

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I use glass eyes Catherine.  Unless your minis are really mini :PI found the beads too small 
Cotter pin turner, I still use my big one...I bought a small one thinking it would be smaller in size, but it was the same size, only the groove was shorter  bear_wacko I suppose I'll pull it out and give it another try one day.  I like using plyers for turning.
xx

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

..I sometimes use my hemostats for turning.  As for eyes, with black onyx bears you get a bit of a protruding buggy look---I've only recently gotten some black glass eyes, and I honestly adore using 'em, as it totally eliminates the Betty Davis eyes.  =P

Here's one little guy with black onyx bead eyes---as you can see, they protrude a wee bit. 

PICT0169.jpg

..which is sometimes cute in a small bear..I like the eyes on my little cowboy beary.  You can get the black onyx beads on eBay, but be warned, the 3mm size [which is perfect for minis] is usually $4-5 MORE than all the other sizes...inflation because of the popularity of mini bears.

If you want to go with black glass eyes with the flat backs, I highly recommend Intercal's eyes---they are simply marvelous!

Amelia

Antwerp, Belgium

Thanks,  I can't wait to get started :dance:   I just ADORE your little bear with his pony Amelia, and I love the wee chap in your avatar  bear_wub   Gosh if I could be half as good at mini bears!

Hugs
Catherine
x

Board footer