Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

OK, so I'm trying my hand at machine-sewing bears. I'm happy with the speed! but upon stuffing my guy,
his leg seams look like this:

seams1.jpg

seams2.jpg

ewwww  bear_cry I'm not thrilled with his pattern anyhow so I'm only out time & (a $5 piece of) mohair.
So I don't think I'll rip/redo him....but how can I have better seams in the future? is it a tension issue?
The setting is on 2. It's a kenmore machine, super basic, a couple years old.

I'm kinda down cos I have had bad hat pattern results lately & some other stuff going on.......it's just a crummy time
for stuff to not work out. I'll be grateful for advice on better seams, & any other advice on making the switch
from all-handsewn to using the machine.

thanks!

sarahjane Brisbane

Kim I have that same problem when trying to machine sew my bears so have stuck with the hand sewing for now, I hope you can find the solution....

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Kim ...I am sure no expert on machine sewing as I do mine by hand.....but just a thought...

Perhaps you could stitch up a couple of scrap bits... with different settings on the tension.... you won't need much to test what you want to see...   then just stretch it quite tight around something like a good size dowel (to simulate stuffed) and see if there is any difference? 

also... hard to tell what size things are...but the thread appears fairly thick, like maybe a button craft thread....are you using the same thickness of thread in the bobbin? ..

Calgary, Alberta
Website

Me again...

Kim... may I ask what your "mounted fairie specimens" are made from?  I love the look of them....

lulubears Posts: 280

It looks like maybe the stitch length may be too long and the tension set too loose.  It's difficult to be sure, but that's what it looks like to me.   You might try scraps of the mohair you made the bear from and change the stitch length just a bit every few inches or so.  I always try to adjust the stitch length first before fiddling with the tension.  Are the stitches even on both the top and bottom or are they "loopy" on the bottom where the bobbin thread comes out?

I always use a regular sewing thread for both the top and bobbin.  If you are using two different threads, that can pose a problem.

Luann

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Being a hand sewer of minis for years I do the test scraps before sewing on a machine. 

Could you take this guy apart and do another (double) stitching at the correct setting (??).  I think that could save him from being a bear that makes you unhappy.  I've never done it...but could that work??

:hug:
~Chrissi

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Hi Kim and Veronica,   bear_laugh

I agree with you, Veronica.  If you are seeing little horizontal stitches on the outside, I think the sewing machine tension may be too loose. 

You can try tightening the upper tension a little.  Then try some little practice seams using a contrasting color of thread on a thinner fabric such as muslin so you can see exactly what the stitches look like.  If the stitches seem to be getting better, keep slowly increasing the tension until it is the way you want it. 

The threads should also look balanced on both sides.  If you can't get them to balance, you may have to adjust the bobbin case tension.  Then try a practice seam on some scrap mohair and see if it is better.  (Be careful adjusting the bobbin case though, because it is very sensitive and hard to get it back to the original tension.  You can mark on the bobbin case where the line of the screw is before moving it.  Actually, if I get to that point, I usually wind up taking the machine into the shop as I find it hard to get a good tension after messing with the bobbin case.  Some people advise having two bobbin cases, one you can adjust and one you never touch to adjust.  I recently bought a second bobbin case and it was worth the money.  It saved me a visit to the shop.  You can mark one that you don't touch with a little nail polish so you don't get them mixed up.) 

A strong but thinner thread such as polyester may help, too.  What is your stitch length?  I have been using a 2.0 to on the mohair.  If your stitch length isn't too small, you can try a shorter stitch length, also.

Ooh, I like the idea of stretching it around something like a dowel, Veronica.  You can also hold the fabric pieces in both hands with the seam in the middle and pull slightly to see if the horizontal stitches show between the two pieces of fabric.

Ellen

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Oops,  didn't see the two previous posts.  I guess they were posted while I was writing mine. :redface:   Sorry for any repetition :)

Ellen

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

You guys are awesome.

I took a nap, an aspirin, & am ready once again to experiment  bear_cool

I will do scrap tests! The thread does look thick doesn't it...but it
is only ordinary all-purpose stuff. Maybe because it is just a really close-up
photo it looks big.

Don't apologize for repetition! Instead, feel confident by the fact that your advice is
confirmed by others  bear_grin

If I need to fiddle with the bobbin tension I will be astonished! But I am pleased to
have insight on that. I hope I never have to touch it, lol

I will start with tightening the stitch tension, then make sure it's balanced top & bottom,
& then see what difference shortening the stitch length makes.

Thanks again you guys! You're my in-house experts, how lucky I am that you all live inside
my computer  bear_grin

edited to add!
The thread was wound onto the bobbin from the spool - I am not brave enough to mismatch
threads from top to bottom. And the mounted faerie specimens are mostly bits of papier mache
over wire, with bits of angelina fiber & silk ribbon scraps & paint. & I am still astonished that I
do not get hate mail from fairy lovers about them!

thank you all again!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Along with tightening up your tension, be sure and shorten the length of your stitch. They should be fairly close together. Also, I would not touch the bobbin tension if you can avoid it. It isn't recommended for the reasons stated already.
Sonya

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Agreed with Luann & Sonya - you've got excellent photo skills! - which helped point right to the problem: your sts are covering 4 - 5 weft threads of the mohair backing.

At most your machine sts should cover 2 or maybe 3, according to this backing size of weave.

Kim, try stitching 2 scraps together, pin the seam open wide across something as if it's stuffed, take a pic of that seamline and show us the difference. We think you'll be pretty pleased with it.

B

denisepurrington Out Of The Forest Bears
Seattle
Website

Hi Kim,
It looks like your tension is off.  What kind of sewing machine do you have?  Is it electronic or the old fashioned kind?  If it's the latter, there should be a little knob on top of your machine, (sometimes they're on the side) that you can turn to adjust. I'd play around with the tension using a scrap peice of muslin untill the tension is fixed.
I hope this helps.
Big Hugs,
Denise : )

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

ok, I tightened up the tension and shortened my stitch length.....
how does this look?

seam_pulled_tight.jpg

It is pulled taut over my finger. Can you tell I am
having fun with the camera's macro settings!  :crackup:
Sorry about the lighting, it's under the desk lamp. A sensible person
would shoot photos at noon....

Am I good to go? I am eager...lol
thanks!

Calgary, Alberta
Website

that's so great it looks like heavy burlap or something!    hahahha

looks great Kim

denisepurrington Out Of The Forest Bears
Seattle
Website

It looks like you fixed the problem Kim.  I too go over my seams twice.  It's just self assurance for me that my bears won't be falling apart in 100 years   bear_happy   
I wish I still had my old White sewing machine. My Viking won't go over leather any more, (or anything else more then 3 layers thick for that matter).
Keep in touch.  I want that bear we talked about some day soon.  He can sit with my "Kim" Rabbit.
Big Hugs,
Denise : )

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

It looks great, Kim!   :clap:

Ellen

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

woooohooo! I'll be sewing like a fiend today then  bear_grin I spent last night ripping the Oops Bear -
I couldn't work on something new, knowing that he was prowling around all poorly seamed.
So now his parts are all good to go again! I have a bit of black in a similar fur, so I think for
good luck I must rework him as a panda, and put his old arms/legs/ears aside for someone
else later.

Denise my mom has an old whites, and when I say old I mean 'used to be grandma's' - it
looks very like the featherweights that I've seen people post pictures of. Was yours old like that?
Mine's just a newish Kenmore but at least it has a vertical bobbin - the drop-in ones drive me
crackerbats. & you will surely know that bear when you see him/her  bear_grin

Board footer