Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pages:
kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Can you gals enlighten me on how you gained a following? Did it take a while?

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Kim,

Yes, for me it did take a little while.... and it came from listing on eBay consistently.  (which I am trying to get back to bear_rolleyes  )

After a bear is on his/her way to their new home, I always drop an email letting the new mom/dad know... and I ask if they'd like to be notified of when new bears are born.

Most say yes....  For my website sign up I have a Yahoo group sign up box.  But I also have just a regular ol' list of people in my address book for these individual requests.    I"ll send the "new bear" email to myself... and BCC it to my list.  This way no one else sees all the email addys. 

But yes, it takes a little while... and as a collector myself I know that my preferences and taste in bears change!  So you always want to be "out there" (ex: on eBay, Bearpile, adverts...)  for new people to see your work.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I am getting a little upset, once again.... I think my bears are good (at least starting out) and people I work with like them... I have  website, posted bears on bearpile and listed on ebay.... maybe I am just expecting things too soon... bear_sad

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh dear....I hope I'm not hearing dissappointment and frustration here.

Kim it truly does take time, and you have to be willing to put yourself out there everywhere you can.  Are you on other sites, there's an Australian site, Bear Pile....Nancy Tillbergs site, there may be others and if there are we can learn about them together.

The big sellers here also advertise in the magazines....pricey, but.....

But the truly important thing to remember is that you have a wonderful product.  You make wonderful bears and and WE love them.  And who would know better than your peers?

Follow your heart- do what you love-it will happen.

Even a little old gollymaker like me is starting to get a following...And for some odd reason, gollies just aren't as popular as teddies. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Hopefully the gals with more experience will have ideas.  But the best idea is to keep improving your style and keep the faith.

gollyhugs to you-(and I don't pass those out willynilly!)

Dilu

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Kim, I know exactly how you feel...so I've taken the Ebay attitude that "if it sells, GREAT!!!...if it doesn't then it's just advertising."  Just think of all the people who see your bear...see your name...after awhile they begin to associate them with you. 

So...patience, patience, patience...a virtue I struggle with constantly (spoiled only child in me still rearing it's ugly head).

Shantell

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Disappointed and frustrated... I want to sell and get more materials and get back in the "black" instead of "red"....

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I'm quite new to bear-making so I guess the people who have been established longer would know better than me...but my guess is that a following happens with your bears getting exposure to people who will potentially buy them.

It's taken me 3 years to get a good mailing list together...and I don't sweat about it these days because I can only make so many bears anyway...

Jenny

Deb Upstate New York

What's a following?  Is that like a stone?  ;)

Deb

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hey there Deb bear_original

Not sure if you are joking or not so I'll answer your question (hard to "hear" tone of voice online LOL!)

A "following" is a group of people who collect your work.  At least in this case.

And Kim... don't despair!  Just keep your name out there bear_original  I found that you may find that people will have been watching your bears for a while and then finally have the $ to bid!!

Deb Upstate New York

Laura ~ Thank you so much.  You are very sweet.  I was absolutely joking though! (Might have been more obvious if I could have made the winking smiley bigger.)  Oh well.  But it's good to know people help educate you if they think you need help.

A little bit ago someone was saying they'd lost weight to the tune of a couple stones, so when Kim asked how we gained a following ... well I just couldn't resist.

I'll try to do better, so I don't get the boot!  Yikes!

Kim ~ Please try not to get discouraged.  I'm pretty new at making bears myself.  I started quite a while ago, but then created none for about 2 years, so I may as well be new as far as staying visible goes.  I have been buying mohair from Intercal's End Pieces, Small Pieces and Bargain List.  Good prices to help keep you more toward the black!

Deb

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Kim, I agree with Laura, stay positive, you just never know who is watching your listings.
I had a phone call from a lady last week who wants me to make some bears for her from her Mother's fur coat. She told me that she got my card from a friend of hers and has had it for 5 years!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kim, it definitely takes awhile, but you have an advantage by selling on ebay.  I didn't make a profit until a couple years ago, and even then it was VERY small.  Advertising is my biggest yearly expenditure and it's because I put ads in both Teddy Bear Review and Teddy Bear and Friends.  Yes, pricey, but it gets your name and work out there for the collectors to see.  I STILL don't sell on ebay, so you do have that going for you.  I didn't start out making bears to turn it into a business . . . I started because it fulfilled a very important emotional/psychological need at the time.  Then when I discovered people actually wanted to buy those bears, I decided to work on the business aspect, also.  Patience is a key word when working on building a collector base.  If it's feasible for you, you might try to participate in some shows, also . . . collectors remember you when they've seen you in person.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

You gals are great... I know, I just have to be patient.  I want to eventually attend shows but I dont feel I am ready yet for that.  In time.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

hi Kim...oh I feel for you coz I've been there and dissapointed...it takes time and then most of the time its luck and if the right person is looking.  Your bears are lovely so don't give up.
hugs sarah

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Kim, I know exactly how you feel...I have the same feeling.  I keep trying and trying.

I notice that ebay can be quite 'cliquey'...certain people will collect only certain artists work and no one elses.
That is strange to me because as a collector of MANY things...I always want different styles of what I am collecting....for instance, when I collected artist dolls...I wanted all different types.

I have noticed that on ebay that is not the case.

One bear artist that does very good (no, not in our group)...uses the same pattern over and over and has for years...the bears all look exactly the same, just a different outfit and a different story line.  She has collectors who probably have 50 or 60 of the same bear in different clothes...and gets new buyers all the time, who when reading their feedback have never bought a bear at all.

I was perplexed, as you are...so a year ago, I tried to study the 'ebay pattern' and see why some did well and some did not...when I thought the 'did nots' did gorgeous work.

What I found (or at least it appeared to me) was what reminded me of a very old show I once saw on Candid Camera. 
This showed an elevator opening on the 1st floor and everyone was standing backwards, facing the rear of the elevator.  When the door opened and the new person getting on saw everyone facing backwards, they would get a puzzled look on their face and step in...but would face forward, glancing side to side at the other occupants, as the door closed.  Here is the catcher.
When the door opened on the 4th floor, the person facing forward would always be turned around facing backwards.  There was never one ,who would not go with the flow.

My point is that some  people (certainly not everyone tho), do collect 'artists' rather than the item.  I see this alot on ebay.

By cliquey, I mean there are groups that seem to stay together...if Mary Jane is bidding on Smoochie Woochie Bears...then Suzie Q and Polly run right over and bid too.

I had a strange thing happen a couple of years ago.  One of my best buyers, and by the way, she bought from MANY bear artists (well actually she WAS my best buyer) wrote me and said she was only going to bid on Private Auctions from now on, because she had 'followers', that as soon as she bid they would all bid and she even got hateful emails stating that she made ebay un-fun because she always outbid everyone...so she didn't want her name associated with any auctions.  So see, people would bid because SHE was bidding, not because they wanted that particular item.
Ebay is just so different that the 'real world'.

I see it in a lot of different areas of ebay, not just bears.  Miniatures is a prime example.  One artist will have museum quality work and sell for 9.99 ... another person will have poor craft style work and sell for 75.00 and everyone is bidding like crazy.

I agree with others that I think shows are a good thing...at least doll shows were wonderful.
Here is another prime example.  I am not bragging here, just stating a fact.  When I did original dolls, I was highly publicized, magazines ( one was a full 4 page article in Contemporary Doll) newspapers (full color page in the Atlanta Journal...plus papers in other states and was invited to be on a TV program in Mobile, Al., shops carried my dolls.
Here's the catcher...I decided to put a doll on ebay...and guess what, it barely went off. 
Why?...my work was quality, judging by the Doll Collecting world...but on ebay, dolls that would not even get a second look at a doll show, were getting $100.00s of dollars on ebay.

Art of course in any realm art is a very personal thing.
When you can get it figured out...let me know.

I want to add also that, there are many artists who make big money and RIGHTLY SO because their work is gorgeous...many in our own group... and that is the way it should be.  The bidding should be based on what you produce, but in many cases it is not.

I was talking with another friend who sells handmade things on ebay and she said it is as if THEY put out the WORD...don't bid on her work!???? and when the right people don't bid on your work, the others who follow will not bid either.

I don't know what to tell you to keep you from getting discouraged Kim.  I do too!
The bear that I have on right now, Skippy.  I cannot tell you the hours I have in him.  I know in my heart that Skippy is a good looking little guy and yet look at the auction.  $76.00?
Honestly, I told David this morning...I feel like pulling the auction and quitting bears....I feel that discouraged!

I am venting here this morning...please forgive me everyone...I am sure there are many who would disagree with me, this is just my opinion based on MY PERSOANL EXPERIENCES and what I see, thru my eyes.

nanc.......

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Nancy , I totally agree with everything you said.  I've only sold a few bears on ebay, but I have watched other artists for a long time.  It also drives me crazy when wonderful bears sell for nothing and others go for high prices that are well......less than wonderful, or no better than another.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the bidding. :/

Your story about the elevator is bang on.   We humans are odd.   Just want to follow the crowd sometimes.

It is so discouraging when you spend so much time creating something beautiful and feel like no one wants it.  But, we have to keep trying and remain positive.  Negative thought gets us nowhere !! ( easier said than done some days I know)

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I think the most important thing of all when trying to build a following, is to promote your work EVERYWHERE!  For that, you need top class photographs and a friendly approach.  Magazines are the hardest to achieve coverage with, but they are worth their weight in gold.  Bear in mind, they need your photographs and editorial to be interesting, current and great looking.  If you can ensure your photographs don't clash with the seasonal themes, that helps too ... ie., no daffodil backgrounds if you are hoping your pic might make the December issue!

Collectors like the personal touch.  They don't just want to buy bears, they want to know you'll remember their face at the next show, their name next time they write etc etc.  They like to be made to feel special, so offer to include them on mailing lists to be first in line to view new work, or see the latest website update. 

Shows are the first port of call to meet your potential client base.  They get you shaking hands and smiling at people, which leads to the start of friendly interest in your work. So, when starting out, do your research, find the best shows, send good quality pics and ask to be put on waiting lists.  Offer to take cancelled stands if necessary!

It takes time to build a following and it also takes a heap of commitment.  Encouragement from friends and family is great, but let's face it, they aren't likely to know the market that well, so I would recommend taking some sample bears to your local bear store or bear show and asking for an honest opinion as to whether they think they are of saleable quality and likely to be of interest to collectors.  These people know their stuff and will usually tell it like it is.

Once all that is in place, the usual rules apply.  Keep fresh, keep moving forwards and keep plugging away!

Good luck! bear_happy

Don't get discouraged!  follow your heart- do what you love and bring joy to the world- BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT WILL WORK OUT

Believe it or not- even Gollies have a place in the world  and they are selling.

If gollies sell, wonderful bears really sell

Every sale is a victory-although going from the red to the black....hmmmmm :/

When I sold my first gollikin my hubby said that was great.  'A 30.00 dollar profit and it only took you $5000 dollars to  get there.'  He meant it in a gentle teasing way because he really doesn't mind. But it does help me keep it in perspective. 

But every golly sold is a golly out there in the real world....

I added up the receipts and actually had a little over a thousand to go to reach the $5000 dollars-but he assured me I needn't be in too big a hurry to catch up. :D

I figure it will take me several years to GET THERE....gollies being a less popular item than teddies....maybe 5 years. 

So for me the watchword is follow your heart, but be patient. :P

We can do this!

gollyslobberkisses- (gollies are a pretty messy bunch after all)

Dilu

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Every one makes good points on this list....and I agree with everything said..and Paula is absolutely right when she says that you need to promote your work everywhere...and to do that your photography has to be clear and bright and in focus. I believe that good photos often make the difference on Ebay..and certainly when submitting work to magazines.

Each photo takes the place of our shop window...and every effort should be made to show work off in the best possible way. It's how to establish an image ...maybe a theme that can continue through a series of bears perhaps..some people are really clever at this ..and though we can argue till the cows come home that some peoples work is no better than the next persons but they can command high prices, from a collectors point of view they are buying into an image which has been cleverly constructed to allow us to want to join in the make believe. One person who does this very well is Lora Soling of Lora Bears...

And the acid test is to make your work as open to the public as possible..and to take the compliments on board along with the criticisms. Family and friends are great but I don't believe what they say too much...my Mom says everything I do is wonderful...and so does my husband...but the blazing rows I have had with my sister and daughter when they have said that a bear is not so good have resulted in me lifting my game afterwards despite the fall out...

It's not easy to get people to buy into what we believe in and I have had bears that I thought were the best thing ever sit on my stand and no-one even looks at them and the one that I really thought was just 'ok' has been snapped up ....

It just takes time and a lot of determination.........

Jenny

I have to tell you gals, that you have given me a whole new outlook.
I am going to concentrate on 'marketing'...I know from past experience with  the dolls, you are right. 
I remember when the first article came out about my dolls, at 7:00 at night my phone started ringing...it was the strangest thing.  After that article hit the stands, I was an over night success story. 
The newspapers were...ummmm, iffy at best.  The shows were wonderful, in fact that is where I had so many shop owners ask me if I would sell to them.  It was amazing, but the contacts really came from the shows.

Atlanta does not have any good bear shows that I am aware of.
If anyone could suggest a really great show (in the US) that would be a good start...I would greatly appreciate any feedback on that....and if bear shows are anything like doll shows, you just have the time of your life.
I really miss doing shows, I enjoyed the people so much.

I am going out tonight to look at a new camera that will take the resolutions needed for the magazines and I am going to try to look into advertising...altho that may be too costly at this point.

At any rate...your suggestions have certainly given me a new platform in which to devote some of my energy and work off my frustrations.
I know you are all right...thank you, thank you, thank you.
Nanc.......

Mark Mark's Bears
Albuquerque, NM

Hi Kim,

I will add my 2 cents.  I don't have a 'following' yet but I'll tell you what I did and I'm still doing.

I started taking my bears to work.  I showed them to various people, mainly women.  Word got to a few other people and I sold my first bear just in time for Valentines Day.  I ended up working 'till 11 PM on Feb 9th to get her finished but my coworker and his wife were very happy.  They actually dressed her up and sent her to 'camp' and sent me a Powerpoint presentation of her 'outing'.  It was neat to see someone having fun with something I made instead of having it put on a shelf.  To date she is the only one sold so overall I am into the bears for much more than I have gotten out of it just looking at it from the money side of the equation.  I figure if I didn't have bears to work on I would be in with some other equally expensive hobby.  I thoroughly enjoy bear making so I want to stay with this.  My wife is somewhat concerned that I am spending a fair amount of money on bears (she's the one that got me started) and is wondering when I am going to start selling.  I am still taking them to work, lots of promises but only the one taker at this point.

A digital camera will help with the photos.  I am a die-hard film guy and finally went to the dark side (digital)  and saw better results.  At the very least you can look at the images right away and make whatever improvements on-the-fly instead of waiting for the film to come back.  It turns out I reshot my entire family of bears (about 12 at this point) to put on a website and to make prints for others to see when I cannot have the bears with me.  By the way, my new website is now up and running www.marksbears.com
Please have a look and let me know what you think.  I already know you want an 'about me' with photo.  I am doing the entire thing on my own so it will be a continual work in progress.

I am also doing business cards and I'm contemplating a rubber stamp for the backs of the prints I will hand out when there is interest.  I will be with Sabine Klett at the TOBY show in October showing a bear or two so there will be lots of exposure.  I also plan on getting in on one of the local shows here in NM.  All the artists I spoke with at this years show in Albuquerque said shows are the greatest thing to do.  You get to meet the collectors one on one.  All I have to do is build up an inventory, 5 bears for sale will not cut it as a show.  I think I'm doing all the stuff to get noticed I guess we'll see if I am still around in a few years as one of the people with hundreds of posts imparting their knowledge to us new kids.

I wish you luck, hang in there.

Mark

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Mark . . . woohoo!!  Love your new website and your great bears!!  Way to go, guy!!

Mark, I admire your 'marketing ideas' and your website is wonderful...my fav's are Benjamin and Buddy.
You have a lot of great ideas but I am unable to do what you are doing.  I am new to the area, so I know very few people...bears ARE my work, I do not work outside of my home and I do not know of any good shows here in the Atlanta area.  I am afraid the internet is my 'contact' at the present time...altho, I would love to do some shows.  It is just too expensive for me to travel at this time.
I purchased a new camera today so I can get the proper dimension photos to submit to the magazines, have you done that yet?
I honestly think Ebay is frustrating me, when I sit down and really rationalize things.  Perhaps I need to get away from that and start thinking outside the ebay circle.
I don't know you Mark, but thank you for stopping in and writing such a nice post...it is always nice to hear from the male prospective...and I think your bears are lovely, especially those lap 'slappin huge paws.  I am a big tummy, big paws lover.

Nanc............

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Mark,  great ideas...I think I'll take one of my bears to my hair dresser...she keeps telling me how cute they are...I email her photo's.  If she can send me dirty jokes...I can send her bear pictures.  She has a huge clientele from all over...she even has a client that comes in from California. 

Hmmmmmm!!!

I keep coming back to this posting because there is so much information my peabrain cannot absorb it all at one time.

Nancy:
  I found your story about e-bay and the cliques fascinating.  I read it to hubbs, and he was quite for a while and then said that he has seen the same thing in the car section.  2 great jeeps but one is bid on and the other not and it does run up the price.  Thank you for sharing that information-it is very good to tuck in the back of the mind.

Marc:
1.  really liked your site and your style. (see you guys worried about your "look" you have it and don't even know it yet! now to refine )
2. I think what you say about the digital camera, (and the best quality you can afford) is good info for us.  I do make
corrections "on the fly", and it is a great help to be able to go through the pics and get rid of the one missing, oh say the gollies head!
3.  I think your idea of a stamp for the back of your business cards is quite interesting; and now has me wondering if it would be possible to print on both sides of the card, rather than use a rubber stamp-I am going to play with this idea; which i would never have had without you.

Deb:
you're adorable and you don't need to worry about getting the boot!  Like that's gonna happen bear_grin  Look at some of us who have been her a wee bit longer and THEY still let me come back! :D

Shelli:  Wherever you are slugging down your first cup this am:
It is time to bite the bullet and print up Shellis treatise on lite boxes....

My e-bay story:
(This goes to Nancy and Tammys thoughts)

Judi had 2 bears online- one was mohair and the other alpaca.  Normally Judi's bears go for a what I think is a fair price and deserved price.  But because the alpaca was more unique ( but not as cute in my mind-different tastes) The Hubster was able to get me my first true "artist" bear for a little less than I thought it should have gone for.  Actually, because I adore Judi and her work, I felt guilty. (I know that we would never have been able to afford it otherwise)  Everyone was bidding on the alpaca.

Judi's work, by the way, is superlative, really impressive and I treasure this little guy.  I also feel very fortunate.  But honeyhubby's experience buying this bear bears out :DA  Nancy and Tammys observations.

I appreciate that this forum is so willing to share their observations and experiences to those of us who are less experienced and trying to learn the ropes. I would still be floundering if not for everyone here.  I would never have had the courage to try and sell.

In fact. if not for the pros here I wouldn't have ever sold a golly.  Now I average one a month.....ok I don't want to pin the electric bill on one a month- but it is a start.

So Miss Kim,
Don't give up your dream, there is hope, your style is there you are just refining, and if I can sell a golly honey, which aren't nearly as popular as teds, then you too can make it!

gollyhugs to everyone on this board who is so supportive and encouraging-you guys are great.  And we get to have fun too!

Wow win win

Dilu :P
Now I know no shame-carry cards everywhere-and talk up gollies every where-:lol::lol::lol: Everywhere for me isn't very many places, but things change and good fortune happens.

Pages:

Board footer