Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

sarahjane Brisbane

Does anyone know how thick is Beaver hide and is it hard to sew?? Is it suitable for making bears or not?

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Can't help you there SJ as I have only used mink or lapin ( rabbit )

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Sarah, I have some beaver pelts  that are really thick and would be tough to sew. But, I've also had some that were thinner and I made a 7" bear from it with no real problems.  I guess it just depends on the pelt, but mostly I think it is rather thick, unlike mink and rabbit.

sarahjane Brisbane

Thanks for the Info Tammy  bear_original ......I needed to know before I decide whether or not to bid n a beaver coat... bear_ermm

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Your welcome Sarah ,but I'm not sure how much help my answer was.  Kind of wishy washy wasn't it !!!  I have seen other artists make 7-8" beaver bears so who knows ?

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

I have not had any problems sewing beaver pelts into fur bears. I do have an industrial machine though so it helps a lot
Hugs
Gail

sarahjane Brisbane

I do all mine by hand so I'm not wanting anything too thick or tough.. bear_ermm

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I have made a bear with beaver.  You will want a good leather needle and a good thimble.  It is not too hard to sew, but I would not try anything too small.

sarahjane Brisbane

Thanks Nina!!   That's good to know!! bear_original  bear_flower

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA
millie wrote:

I have made a bear with beaver.  You will want a good leather needle and a good thimble.  It is not too hard to sew, but I would not try anything too small.

Nina is it possible that you may have a pic of your bear made from beaver??
I would love to see this fur made up.
Can I say you're a sweet heart in advance?? hehe
Wendy :dance:

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Ellie.JPGThis is a picture of the bear I made with beaver fur.  This particular bear is from sheared beaver.   I loved the way the fur cast different shades in the light.  It was very nice.  I have other pictures, but at the time I am having trouble locating the disc they are on.  I must say that this fur did make the softest bear.  There was very little shedding, as opposed to some other furs.  I have a problem working with some furs that shed too much.  Rabbit and coyote both drive me crazy.  I take a stitch, stop to scratch my nose, take a stitch, stop to scratch etc.  Coyote was the absolute worst.  But the beaver was no problem for me.  Well, I hope this picture helps a bit.  If I can find the others, I will post them.

And yes, Wendy, you can say I'm a sweetheart in advance.  And I say "Thank you so much" in advance.

sarahjane Brisbane

Awww he is so cute Nina....I was thinking of not bidding but I can see I may have to change my mind that fur looks lovely!!! And I like the idea of less shedding too.

WA

Nina , it is not what I expected. It looks like across between rabbit and mink. Kind of.
I was expecting something much courser. It looks like it must be heaven to touch.
Thankyou for being such an bear_innocent  :dance:
Wendy

audemesange Aude-Mesange Creations
Montral

Hi there, I'm working with fur a lot for bears and other stuff. I love the feel of beaver, sheer one especially. The skin is usually thicker than  some other furs (mink, rabbit) it's more like racoon. Beaver is very resistant and makes marvelous bears. If possible for you go to a place they sell furrier stuff. There is special needles for the fur in different sizes (would give you the name but I know it only in french). Take big ones for the beaver. I also suggest to sew the fur side by side with no seam allowance. Hope it helped.IMG_1809_web2.jpg
Here is Achilles my first jointed fur bear

sarahjane Brisbane

Thanks Audemesange!!  bear_original  bear_original  bear_flower

WA

That bear is as cute as cute! I have been admiring your avatar bear. I gather he is in rabbit? The photo is gorgeous.
This sewing side by side??? I gather that is done with a fine whipstitch?
I have an unidentified pelt that I would love to make a bear from but seams are out of the question with the leather being so thick.  I have some rabbit also that I have plans for as soon as I get a moment.
I would love to hear any ofyour tips?
Wendy bear_thumb

Montral

Hi wendy, thanks for the comments.  bear_happy Ethan on my avatar is made from fox. Whipstitch is good!

WA

You must have really cuddly fox's your way Mesange? bear_thumb

theteddypatch The Teddy Patch/Bear Necessities

I tried to do some bears out of real fur, but it just wasn't my medium.  For those of you who like to work with Mink, I have some very nice pieces of Mink for sale that I'll never use.  I also have some other nice pieces of real fur for really cheap prices.  You should check them out at The Teddy Patch!

Montral

Yes, Montreal is a good place to find good furs!

Board footer