Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

For any of you that use onyx beads for eyes how do you pull them in enough so that they fit nicely into the head? I found that I couldn't get enough pull to get them to stay in deeper?  What do you use as thread?

Thanks,
Hugs
catherine
xx

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

You can needlesculpt the eye socket first - the same as the bigger bears - and then the onyx bead will fit in better.

Marion

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

I needlesculpt as well to hold the eyes where I want them and I use a strong upholstery thread for the eyes.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I needlesculpt on mohair but I don't on the sassy fabric.  I use monlycke topstitching thread for putting in my eyes - it's nice and fine but strong too.  I don't like using the upholstery or beading threads for eyes as I find they slip a little when I'm tying off the knots and it's hard for me to maintain tension.  (and they cut my fingers  bear_cry )

Use the pad of your thumb to push the eye into the head as you tighten off the first tie of the knot - that will help to sink it.

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

I needlesculpt before I put in the onyx beads, it helps me get 'em more level and centered.  I have done it without sculpting first, but you get the eyes in much deeper if you needle sculpt as opposed to if you didn't. 

I also confess to trying the mini glass eyes Intercal has---they are simply MARVELOUS!  Love the flatbacks, I still needlesculpted with 'em but liked the effect much more than simply black onyx.

Amelia

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh... I like those tiny flat backed black glass eyes too Amelia!  I think I get the #500's...

http://www.intercaltg.com/catalog/eyes.html#200black

It IS hard to get onyx beads to really set IN there! 

Melissa.... you might try waxing your thread so that it "grabs itself"  just run it over a brick of beeswax (you can get it at a quilting store)  I've even used the beeswax pellets that they sell for candlemaking.  Makes it so much easier to get nice tight knots without loosing tension on the threads as you pull them. 

For hand cutting problems..... I know that we've had a couple of threads here on TT that have addressed that painful issue.  I use a very thin leather golf glove on my right hand to avoid the  problem.  Thin leather driving gloves could also work.  Golf gloves are really thin, and fit VERY tight, so you can still get a bit of "feel" through them.  They work great for me!

Kim Basta

Taiwan Angel Love Bear Forever

Kim !!! what a good idea to prevent from hand cutting!!! Golf gloves.....
Shall try it tonight .....  bear_original

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I'll have to try that thread Melissa.

I use monlycke topstitching thread

. I use the beading thread in D size, not AA. I needlesulpt, well I have to as my heads are 4 piece patterns with no centre head gusset, then I also use shading and needlefelting to get the look. I do think the needlesculpting helps do away with having to have too much tension when pulling the beads in. You know you've got it right when you can't see the bead holes. I've seen bears where the photos show the holes, not a nice look. Its very much trial and ever and even I think I could improve what I do. So keep those tips coming!

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Oh yes Amanda  bear_happy  that's a total no-no isn't it - I use a jewellers loop thingy to check the holes are "sunk" out of sight  bear_thumb
I always sculpt sockets using thick nylon thread , and I use doubled strong thread for the eyes ; then I use surgeon knots to prevent slippage .
Mini Hugs , Ruth
bear_flower

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

I found it tricky to hide the holes on the beads.....so had some glass beads on wires made...you do have to form the loop yourself but the wire is quite soft to twist....I have some on ebay at the moment...around 4mm to 6mm....they vary a little ...some slightly smaller, some a bit bigger. I find they're great for needle felted faces as they sink snuggly in without dissapearing like the flat-backed ones sometimes do! ....if anyone wants to try a pair pm me your address.... bear_original
Lynne  :hug:

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

Last time i tried using eyes on wire and really have a hard time with it. I need to make the eye hole bigger.... will this happened lynne?

I like the idea of kim, golf gloves :crackup: , i never thought of that! I spend a fortune on those needle timber made of leather and got 2 of it, one for my thumb and the other for my middle finger, and they were not comfy so dont use it that much! bear_cry .... gosh, why didnt i think of that....

angel. u got ur gloves? how was it? bear_shocked ..

ruth, sorry to be asking this, but what is surgeon knot? :redface:

:hug:

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Aha , I know there are clever people on here (like Bobbie !  bear_flower ) who can "do" graphics , but
to explain it - it's just an end over end knot with an extra wrap over  the second time ......I just know I've confused you now  bear_sad
I think there'll be something in the library about it ?
Ruth

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

The surgeon's knot is like the beginning of a granny knot or reef knot (the first half) only you go through the loop twice, it locks against itself and secures whatever you're tying, you then finish the knot with one or two more on top before sinking it in. Hope this explains it to you  bear_original

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

bear_grin hahhaa oh so that is a surgeon knot! Without knowing, i did that knot...  yap, surgeon knot is the best in order to let the eyes stay put. If not, i do a small backward stitch on the neck opening.

thanks girl... bear_wub

serina cruts Posts: 1

I want to tell you all how glad I am I found you ... Looking for the right words.....       You are brave , :dance:     generous ,  Helpful     ,O heck     : bear_wub  :clap:      I'm New .  well not realy. Made some bears  in the 50ties  or was it 60?    anyway before computer.  Ok  we did have TV and books. Thank You All!

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Yeah well, I was using the knot for years without knowing it's name,  bear_grin I think someone in one of my workshops enlightened me!!

Board footer