Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

bear_grin

I was hoping for a few opinions before I try to sell a few items.  So here's the question.....  Sock Monkey's. 
I like Sock Monkeys.  I've made and make Sock Monkeys.  They've been around for ages, the socks even come with the basic patterns. There are entire web sites devoted to Sock Monkeys and the people who make and even sell. But there are a few, mainly one big artist that I can think of who sell Sock Monkeys;(that I can find with searches online).  So if I or any other bear artist were to start selling Sock Monkeys would it seem as though I/we were running with someone elses' "thing"?  Personally I'm not trying to imitate other artists style.  I'm not going to distress or age sock monkeys to look like Peng Peng's Monkeys for example, but I was wondering what the thoughts are on this kind of thing. 

I'm thinking it's like a Golly more or less...it's out there, been done already, it's just reproduced with the artists spin or take on.  But I'm not sure if that's how it would be perceived by "the masses".  What do you think?? 

:hug:
~Chrissi

bearlykidzbears Bearly Kidz Bears
Lodi, Ca.

As long as it's your own take on the sock monkeys I don't think there would be any problem after all we all make our version of teddy bears. Denise
p.s. can't wait to see them

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I certainly don't see any problem with selling sock monkeys either, Chrissi. I don't see how anyone could think you were copying someone else's idea when they have been around for eons and as Denise said they would be your own version - just the same as all the different artists versions of bears, dogs, cats, etc!
P.S. I've been intending for years to have a go at making miniature sock monkeys - just never have gotten the time yet!

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

I think it would be fine. You can buy sock monkey patterns, so go for it. Make it your own look.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Chrissie,

From someone who does do gollies and doesn't do anyone elses gollies, I think you should go for it!  They will be yours, with your own personality....

Not all gollies look alike, not all sock monkeys look alike

And I, for one, think you should give it a go-I bet they will be adorable.....

hurryhurryhurry!!!!lets see what you have, ladyfriend!

dilu

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

Chrissi, I think you should definitely go for it.  I made miniature sock monkeys wayyy back in my teens, and I thought they were the cutest lil' fellers---and I definitely agree that they would have your own spin on them, which would make 'em Catherwoods sock monkeys, and totally unique!  I can't wait to see what you come up with!

---which, I think I'm gonna dig out some of my sock monkeys and make a bear to go with 'em!  Thanks for the thought!

Amelia

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I agree with what's already been said here.  Go for it Chrissi! bear_thumb It sure wouldn't be copying another's ideas.  And now I can't wait to see a sock monkey from you! bear_grin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes . . . do your own thing with the sock monkeys!  Looking forward to seeing some photos, too!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Thanks guys!! That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I wanted to get a few other opinions. I actually just finished up a monkey and will be putting a pic up in the showcase.  He'll be for sale soon, just not sure exactly when.   bear_original

I've been scanning as many sock monkey photos online that I can find and none look like this guy, so he's an original (and more will follow...they are a blast to make!)  bear_smile 

:hug:
~Chrissi

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

Jan0255.jpggo for it !
they are ageneric thing now arent they ?
like bears !

here is one of mine for you to oogle
not very exciting is he ?
but louise loves him
cat xxxx

Board footer