Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

While in Japan, I purchased a book which I thought was on needlefelting, as on its front cover was small critters all needlefelted. Had no idea of the title as I do not read Japanese.

All they do in this book is, take a polystyrene ball- oval or round shape, and GLUE on pieces of wool roving, which they have "meshed by mixing it with water"At no stage was any felting with a  needle shown, yet the finished item looked all felted.

I saw this and thought of Bobby-  will later on scan in a copy of the one project.

Lynette

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Lynette you leave us insuspense!!!!!!!! cruel and wicked come to my mind.....................

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh my! I am dying to see a picture!

Guess this is art that isn't around for too long. Weird though.........

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

needlefelting_japan.jpg

here you will see( I hope you can) How the fleece is taken, rolled into small curls. You then take two small polystyrene balls or whatever shape animal you are trying to create,  first paste some glue
onto the ball, then take these smal curls you have made from the fleece and glue them onto the balls. Curl by curl you continue glueing them onto the polystyrene balls till you have built up your animal and VOILA- you have an instant felted animal.

In some of the other instructions, the fleece is first meshed by adding water, (wet felting) and then wrapped around the polystyrene balls to once again get the 3D object you want.

below is the front cover of the book- showing you all these delightful little citters that I thought had all been needlefelted with a needle from start to finish.

felting_cover.jpg

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Boy Lynette they are sooo cute bear_grin They would make great travelling companions for small bears.
Are you going to make one????? :dance:
Wendy :dance:

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Yip, they are just so cute, and easy to follow the picture instructions, I am sure that I will try some at a later stage, and yes they are good companions for a bear.

All the books I have bought in Taiwan, Korea and Japan come with pictures so you dont need to understand the language, unless you are clever like me bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  and can sew in all 3 languages  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Lynette

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

LOL - I just found this thread!! Thx for thinking about me - must've been my comments on the foam-rubber-based *Masterpieces* that brough this to mind... bear_whistle

I'd heard about this from someone last year but w/o images I couldn't imagine what they were describing - this is it!!

I thought about too, as a bear companion,  for about 1.13 seconds....Nawwwww I'll pass. It seems messier, fiddlier and longer to create than just needling some fiber!!! LOL

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Plus you need more stuff...needles & wool is good for me:)Cute Kritters though!!!

Hugs &

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Yes Bobby and Charlotte, I was thinking of both of you and the comments in the post about foam rubber based
"masterpieces" when I got back to the hotel room and saw the book.
All the critters thou can be used with the normal needle and wool felt method, which is the way I would go as rest assure if is tarted working with glue, not only would the wool be glued but so would half my sewing room be glued to the object as well.!!!!!

Lynette

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Lynette,
Just think of the creations you could come up with from your sewing room & a little glue bear_grin and your book has great ideas for needle felties bear_wub

Hugs &

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

the creations you could come up with from your sewing room & a little glue

Gosh, think this might be capable of finding Lost Objects???
I'm in line to buy that book then!

Board footer