Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

doodlebears Doodlebears
Posts: 7,414

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Help please my computer security is letting me down and letting the most nasty pop ups through and I want to block them. I have just bought McAfee internet security suite 7.0 and it is really letting me down. The previous McAffe worked so much better but is now out of date. I want to block all adult sites, you know, the really nasty ones that show far too much for my liking. Can anyone advise a really good program which I can buy as this is driving me crazy.


Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK
Posts: 1,291

Hi Jane,

Thankyou for the great big welcome!!!!

I use a program called pop-up stopper and can honestly say that it does what it says on the packet, LOL. Because I'm a meany I use the free version and use it in conjunction with my anti-virus. Here's the link: .

Hope this helps to banish those pop-up blues!

teddy_bears_org USA - Florida
Posts: 72

Here are a few recommendation for you or anyone else..

#1: Use firefox as your web browser. Internet Explerer (the blue e) is the worst offender, it lets spyware through often. Firefox is more secure, it does not let applications run in your computer. And it has ad blocking and many addons to better the browsing expeirence. Firefox is free, called open source. I highly recommend it. Been using it for, 3 years I guess.

#2: Get SpyBot. (FREE)

#3: Adaware. (FREE Version Available)

#4: Microsoft Anti-Spyware. … fault.mspx (BETA - Free)

#5: Do not download software to your computer unless finding out about it first. Many programs (not from most commercial comps), like Kazza, some shareware applications contain hidden spyware programs.

Here is the problem, once you have the popups in your computer, putting Norton or Mcafee (owned by the same company btw) will not do a thing. You need to get rid of the popups first. See #2 and #3, these products do a good job together and may be enough to knock them out. Once you got that under control, using firefox will keep them out.

If you are using AOL, AOL has a decent anti-spyware application, do keyword "computer security". But I still recommend #2,#3 and if that doesn't get them all, try #4 also. You do not need to buy #3, look for the "Personal Addition". I hope this helps!

Finally, this is a service my company offered to customers and 80% of the time the above would get rid of the spyware. The other 20% required more advanced work... I have been in computers with over 30 spyware applications running. And once you get one (spyware) in there, more often then not, more are coming. Got to catch it early.

Btw, I do not know Pop-up stopper. But many of the anti-spyware programs on the internet are actually SPY / adware programs! Be careful when getting these programs, stay with reputable applications.

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK
Posts: 1,291

Great advice! I forgot to mention anti-spyware (I use Ad-aware). I have to say that I use Internet Explorer for browsing and don't have any pop-up problems. Pop-up stopper pretty much kills them. But I'm also fairly limited in my surfing and I don't download very much, which probably helps :).

Hope you get it sorted out Jane.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas
Posts: 21,481

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Jane . . . and a HUGE HAPPY LOVELY BIRTHDAY, my friend!!  It's the 11th here and I hope your day was wonderful!  Hope you are successful in blocking that awful spam . . . good luck!

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca