Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Pages:
I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Since there is post about music, I thought what about movies and TV shows (since everyone is in different countries, I'm sure TV varies).  What movies and TV shows do you like?

I guess I'll go first.  I like old movies a lot.  Some of my favorites are Philadelphia Story, My Fair Lady, Casablanca, and movies with Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart.  I also like Disney movies like Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and the Pixar ones like Finding Nemo.  I also like comedies and romantic comedies.  I don't like scary movies.  The last 2 movies I saw in the theaters were Wedding Crashers (the other week) and Aviator (a year ago, I don't go that much).

As for TV, I mostly watch news, college and pro football (American football, not soccer for those in Europe), basketball, Animal Planet, TLC shows like What Not to Wear and designing shows on HGTV and TLC.  I also like the Travel Channel.

Deb Upstate New York

My taste in movies is just about the same as yours!  Last movie I went to was Million Dollar Baby and it was absolutely awesome ... though I thought it would have been just as good with a happier (more positive) ending. 

TV ... love the CSI stuff ... all of it, and Law & Order.  Thoroughly enjoyed the new series "The Closer".  Also watch CourtTV, Discovery, History, Animal Planet ... and of course, my beloved Nascar, whatever network the race happens to be on.  Not big on reality shows.  Would rather watch TVLand (Andy Griffith, Leave It To Beaver, etc.).  If M*A*S*H is on any channel at any time, I can sniff it out.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm with Deb on M*A*S*H and TVLand and Animal Planet. I can also sniff out any antiques related show like Antique Roadshow. I watch PAX TV too.... Sue Thomas FB Eye, DOC, all those shows with good, positive messages.

I was hooked on J.A.G and am still hooked on NCIS (though they killed off Kate, my favorite character at the end of last season so not sure what this season will be like). Also like NUMB3RS and there are a few similar shows starting up this fall that I'm going to check out. Oh, Judging Amy is another favorite when I can stay up that late.

Having said all that I watch about 3 hours of TV a week..... mostly just in the winter. I never watch daytime stuff and most nights I'm sitting here at my laptop chatting to you all!!! bear_grin

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I'm an antiques show fan too....I love to watch those...but generally I'm not much into 'telly'...except for 'Coronation Street'..which is a must. I am a sucker for old films, 'To Kill a Mockingbird'....'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn'....and my all time favourite ...Ken Loach's bleak nothern tale 'Kes'...sad, funny, depressing and inspirational all rolled into one.

I do like new films too...but it's 5.20 am and my brain isn't up yet...so I can't think...

Jenny

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

I enjoy Antiques Roadshow and it is fun to try and guess how much items are.
I especially enjoy it when there are old Steiff Bears which I love.
I also like old movies and comedies ( like a good laugh)  and I am not into scary movies.
I enjoy the news and at the moment we are in Election mode and we go to vote tomorrow
for a new Government/ Prime Minister so will be exciting to see who it will be.
Also the Simpsons, CSI and Law and Order.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh personally I love the old classics!!!  I love the movies you mentioned Jenny!!!  I'm also a HUGE Bette Davis fan... that woman fascinates me for some reason LOL

When it comes to TV, show me an English TV show, and I'll love it LOL  I LOVE Spooks (MI5 for the people in the US!) Just a shame that Daniel McFayden has left it - boohoo LOL  New Tricks, Hustle, Monarch Of The Glenn, Silent Witness, The Commander LOL You name, I probably watch it.

I also love Desperate Housewives - just waiting for the new series!  Ummmmm oh and I watch a bit of Aussie TV (for the aussies, I love Blue Heelers (haven't they picked that up?) Mcleod's Daughters and All Saints.....

Yes.. I have no life and watch toooo much TV LOL

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh, TV and Movies ?
For English language channel we have Animal Planet,FOX,Mystery Channel(US/UK movie). CNN and I often watch them.
I like the movie "God Father" ...great movie and first movie I sew with my own money , "Terminator 2"..first movie I saw with my husband. " ET".................first movie I cried so hard. ahahaha oh, you can't forget the "Harry Potter" too ! Can't wait to see next one !

Japanese makes very very scary movies...did you see
" RING " in American version ? it's so scare and I couldn't watch
whole thing.   bear_sad

Danni,  Me too have no life if I wasn't  creating bears. hehe

Hugs/Marie

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I like six feet under, Coronation street. Pheonix Nights is great too, on DVD. Only Fools and Horses is also great for late night, had a glass of wine (or two) kind of humour. I also love the new Doctor Who and like Sci-Fi in general. At the moment TV in the UK is dire so its time to read some good books me thinks?

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi All,
             I like Coronation Street too.But I like films with a romantic touch. Jane Seymour being a favourite, Somewhere in Time with Chris Reeve I have watched lots of times. But mostly I listen to programmes rather than see them,if I'm not working on a Bear ,I'm doing my cross-stitch.  Hugs Rita xx

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I enjoy the CSI's and Law & Order shows, except for CSI Miami - can't stand Horatio. Also enjoy Animal Planet and Antique Roadshow. The new Doctor Who show is a big favourite but will wait to see how I like it this year with the new actor playing the Doctor. I do not watch scary movies, including psychological scary movies. I do like science fiction type movies for the most part.
Since I hand-sew my bears I've got all my stuff set up beside me and I can watch TV while sewing. That way I don't feel like I'm totally wasting my time.

Marion

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I, myself, am nursing a bitter grudge to protest the ending of both FRIENDS and SEX AND THE CITY, which absolutely delighted me with their humor, humanity, and silliness.

I love Animal Planet, and watch the occasional home show (makeover, organization, etc.) but find them frustrating lately, because I garner lots of ideas, and have no time to implement them afterward.  Life is too darn jammed full already, to make room for whitewashing walls or rearranging my sock drawer to be color-coordinated.  Ya know?

Law & Order, esp. SVU, is an all-time favorite, too.

My boys love that CHOPPER show, and anything that has really meathead guys building shiny stuff.  Which fascinates me, because my kids are these two clean, close-cropped, little dudes, who are basically the offspring of a recovering yuppie, Catholic-school raised, mom, and a very corporate, Parner-level, business guy dad.  Go figure.

ellen ontario, canada

no t.v. in my house.  i'm a weirdo!
bear_laugh

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

You're not weird, you're TV-challenged. ;)

I wanted to share my all time favorite movies, in terms of pure, fluffy, enjoyment factor, listed in no particular order.  You will soon spot the romantic/comedy theme emerge, as well as the "Shelli has immature taste in movies" theme.  What can I say?  I'm a hopeless romantic, with a cynical edge:

The Sure Thing
French Kiss (probably my favorite feel-good movie, ever)
Sixteen Candles
Grosse Point Blank
Amelie
The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy (surprises even me, actually)

Then, there are my mature movie likes, which are thought provoking and intelligent and pretty or, conversely, ugly, and really stretch me cognitively, or strike some chord in me, but are maybe less "enjoyable", per se, in terms of emotional experience:

The Constant Gardener
Terms of Endearment
Quills
Requiem for a Dream
Seven

And my favorite horror movie, because it totally rocks, even all these years later:
The Exorcist

And then, my all time favorite movie of all, for reasons I can't really explain, still... but which I would watch a thousand times over and still find something meaningful and touching in:

The Shawshank Redemption

clare14 Country Bears
England

Shelli I have to suffer American Chopper and American Hotrod too........:rolleyes:

Personally I love Most Haunted............I frighten myself to death sometimes!!:lol:

Love Christmas films too, even in July.................I LOVE Christmas;)

Deb Upstate New York

Shelli ~

Ditto on Shawshank (anything with Morgan will do)!  My favorite "gives me the absolute creeps but can't turn it off anyway" movie (regardless of how many times I watch it) .... Cape Fear.

Makes me cry (bawl ... not just tear up) every single stinking time ... Prince of Tides.  I don't think there's a Nick Nolte theme there ... purely coincidental.  Maybe I need therapy?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Deb wrote:

Shelli ~

Ditto on Shawshank (anything with Morgan will do)!  My favorite "gives me the absolute creeps but can't turn it off anyway" movie (regardless of how many times I watch it) .... Cape Fear.

Makes me cry (bawl ... not just tear up) every single stinking time ... Prince of Tides.  I don't think there's a Nick Nolte theme there ... purely coincidental.  Maybe I need therapy?

I hear ya, on Morgan.  I want to see that new penguin documentary, just to have a reason to hear his voice for hours on end.  I loved him in Driving Miss Daisy, and those Alex ?? detective movies (can't remember the names, because they were forgettable, but he isn't.)  And, of course, Bruce Almighty... which I forgot to include in my list of favorite fluffy films.  That one's a real hoot.

I gotta admit, I've never seen Prince of Tides.  No one believes me, but I haven't.

Deb Upstate New York

Shelli Shelli Shelli ~

Listen to me ... if/when you KNOW what you need is a good cry ... rent Prince of Tides.  You have my personal guarantee it'll work.

Alex Cross ... Kiss the Girls, Along Came a Spider.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

TV I like the judge shows (Judge Judy, Judge Joe Brown, etc.) I love forensic files, court tv, what not to wear

I will sadly miss Six Feet Under - the one show that I have watched faithfully since it started... I love the sopranos also

movies I love anything disney (especially the computer animated ones, it amazes me what they can do with computers!), I love horror, actually pretty much anything!  I still cant watch the Exorcist the whole way through though!!! SCARY SCARY!!! gives me the heeby jeebies!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Movies and TV!! Love them! :D

I adore comedy and horror and mystery. My favorite oldies are "Bringing Up Baby" with Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant and a very big cat, "Sleeper", "Tootsie", "The Exorcist", "Pumpkinhead", the old and new "Frankenstein"s and "Dracula"s, "Jaws", and a very funny old creepie called "Earth Against the Spider"--major hoot.

I love love love "Truly, Madly, Deeply" (Alan Rickman, Shelli!), "The Shawshank Redemption", and recommend Stephen King's original story, which is wonderful. Also "Donnie Darko", the first 3 "Star Wars", all the "Indiana Jones" films. Almost forgot the new "Mummy"s.

I'll defend TV to the death. "Friends", "Frasier", "Seinfeld", "Stargate SG-1", "Star Trek TNG", "X-Files", "The West Wing", "Buffy", "Third Rock From the Sun", Joan Hickson's "Miss Marple", "All Creatures Great and Small", and just about any show about animals that doesn't show them eating one another.

Has anybody seen "Mystery Science Theatre 3000"? My youngest collects the DVDs, and they're a riot--awful old movies and filmstrips heckled by a geeky guy and a pack of robots.

Shelli, your guys ought to love a show called "Pimp My Ride"--somebody's old junker gets turned into a supercar!

Eileen

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Eileen wrote:

.Shelli, your guys ought to love a show called "Pimp My Ride"--somebody's old junker gets turned into a supercar!

Eileen

<groan>  They already do. 

I am not an overprotective mom, and try to let my kids know just enough to be "cool", and not stand out as "babies."

Having said that, I really could have waited a bit longer to explain to my 10 and 12 year old sons what a "Pimp" is.

bear_original

clare14 Country Bears
England

Oooh - I've had my 9 year old daughter asking me today what a **** is and what does rape mean.........do I tell her or do I cop out - like I did:rolleyes:

Nobody told me parenthood was going to be easy...............

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Wow... Shelli... you and I are RIGHT on the same wavelength as far as the "grown up" mature movie list goes!  Those are all some of my favs as well.  Quills was great!  Anything that features beautifully made corsets makes me very happy!  I'd have to add "In the Company of Wolves" to my list though.... I love anything with a Red Riding Hood theme & there's corsets there too!!!

I'm a big fan of Morgan Freeman as well.... that man knows how to pick the movies he's in doesn't he?  One kinda weird Morgan Freeman thing... as a child of the 70's my most fond memories of Morgan seem to revolve around the show that probably gave the man his start in show business.... THE ELECTRIC COMPANY!!!!! I just loved that show!  I am pretty sure that I saw them in reruns... I think it started in '71 or so.... I just know that I couldn't wait until it came on everyday on PBS.  When he started to appear in a lot of movies in the 1980's I knew I recognized that man from somewhere, but WHERE?  He just seemed so familiar, like I had known him ALL my life.... Of course, the Electric Company!   

Beary truly,
Kim Basta
Wild  Thyme Originals

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Kim,

I'm sure you're right! I saw him in Electric Company too! I've never known anyone else who remembers him doing that show. Thanks for helping me prove I'm not crazy bear_tongue I forgot about "In the Company of Wolves"--I love that one!

Shelli,

Better that you tell them than the kids in the playground! The moppets here are frighteningly knowledgeablel/misinformed. Besides, you've got to admit it's a neat show, and the 'pimp' part is
just a style . . . like Kramer wearing the many-colored coat from Joseph. :D

I told my kids the truth about everything, when they asked--except about Santa Claus, because I believe in Santa Claus--and except about the Easter Bunny, because my Caroline kept setting booby traps to prove that I was the Easter Bunny, and I wasn't about to give up so easily. :cool:

Eileen

ellen ontario, canada

oh! i did see Amelie - that's on my favourites list.  (it's a very short list)
how bout Out of Africa?  oh gawd, i've seen it a million times and i know every line and i still cry.
*sapp*
bear_rolleyes

lw2ndstar Annapolis, Maryland

I don't like movies - not sure why.  Except for old BnW classics on AMC or Turner Classics.

TV is a mixed bag for me.  My boyfriend got me hooked on "24" and "House" last year.  And I watch Animal Planet and HGTV all the time.  There aren't enough old style shows on PBS anymore!  "The Duchess of Duke Street" is being rerun here and I love it!  I still like Antiques Roadshow and Masterpiece Theater. 

I watch old reruns of ancient Dr. Who each Saturday night.  Eileen, I'm glad to see that someone else loves MST3K.   I watch the Baltimore Orioles play baseball every night (in season), I can't help it, I'm a lifelong fan.  And I can work at the computer or sew while they play.

My biggest "must see" is...  anime cartoons on Cartoon Network and Adult Swim.  InuYasha is my absolute favorite.   I am way too old for anime, but I love it.  I'd like to make a mohair "Kilala" (She's a two tailed golden saber toothed cat!) :D
Lynne

Pages:

Board footer