Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

katiebear Fords Bears
New Jersey

Hi all, greetings from N.J.!!   I posted a few Bears on Ebay the past week.  I think next time I will start the price higher, they didn't seem to take off at all.  I was a little disappointed but I have only just begun and I love it so much I know I won't give up.  Here are my completed auctions...

http://search-completed.ebay.com/search … p=1&fsoo=1

I was hoping you guys could give me some pointers, maybe I listed too soon as I haven't been felting long.  I am also going to set up a separate ebay account for just my bears, I have been a seller for a while but never any of my own creations.  I was thinking of trying another place to sell.  I looked at bearpile but I didn't see any Needle Felted bears on there.   

**Another, unrelated question, Has anyone ever copied your work???   I noticed on Ebay another set of felted Polar Bears,  same pose, composition and size.
Thanks for the help!!
Andrea

K Pawz Guest

Hang in there Katie....it will take a bit to get your name out there...why don't you look into Bid 4 Bears? Fees are great and since it is all bears you have a better chance of being seen.

As for the copying, there are quite a few artists that actually do needle felted polar bears, brown bears and Pandas, so unless they have gotten your exact look down i wouldn't be too concerned.

Hugs,
Krista

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I have seen a couple folks attempt to copy me. It happens, it's kind of funny.

If it were me, I'd raise my opening bid. But that is due to fear, I see people do it all the time  bear_cry I couldn't let something go for $10. I have way too much time vested in each project.

annalong MadebyAnna

Hi Andrea
Ebay can be tough sometimes. I get disappointed too.  I remember when I started that things were a little easier to sell once I started getting feedback for my bears. Your needle felted creations are beautiful. 
Anna

sarahjane Brisbane

Your little needlefelted creations are wonderful....Don't let Ebay get you down, it can be so hit and miss sometimes and I think April is a pretty quiet time of the year.

I would start at higher prices....but like Jennifer that is more because I'd hate to let something go so cheap.

keep at it because it takes time to get your name out there!!!  bear_original  bear_original

katiebear Fords Bears
New Jersey

Thanks everyone for the posts.  It always helps to hear nice things.  I love making these little bears so profit or no profit, I will keep going.  I will definitely start my prices a little higher next time.  As for being copied, I will take it as a compliment.  Thanks again!!!
Andrea

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Andrea, your bears are really fantastic. bear_thumb   You have great talent.  The only thing  that is predicable about auctions is that they are unpredicable.  You definitely deserve higher prices then what you have received.   If you want to start with a really low price then you should think about protecting your work with a reserve price.  Also in your title you might want to use the key word "artist" as many people  search for "artist bears". 

Certainly don't let this get you down.  It takes time to become known on auction sites.  There is so much out there for potential buyers to look at.  Iam sure most artists will tell you that auctions are a roller coaster ride.  Up and down and everything inbetween.  The right person has to be looking during the time frame your piece is listed.

There are other avenues to get your work noticed.  Email photos to Teddy Bear magazines, and try advertising.  There are also other sites, like Bid4Bears.  Remeber not everyone likes auctions.  Some people prefer to buy from websites.  Also, I have found along the way that there are people who do not have a computer and only see bears in magazines.

There are homes for your lovely bears....they just need to find you. bear_wub

eastbenchbears East Bench Bears
Chicago, IL

I just had to comment on your absolutely lovely bears!! What amazing detail! They are all so beautiful! bear_original

katiebear Fords Bears
New Jersey

bear_wub Thank you  guys so much!!!   You've really boosted my confidence.  I am already onto my next bear, I love this board!!!  I have learned so much here.  Thanks again!!!! bear_wub

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Andrea, I see that you have already gotten excellent advice. I agree with everything that has been said. When I first started  selling my bears I was selling them for embarrassingly low prices because there was so many great artists at the shows that I did. But now 20 years later I'm still making bears and they are doing very nicely on eBay. But it took my bears a while to find collectors on eBay.  So my advice is just to hang in there. Give your bears a lot of exposure online and in the magazines so the collectors can get to know you.

I also agree that is it okay to start the bidding low but put a reserve on your auction...if you don't have respect for your work than nobody else will. When I first started doing auctions I did them with reserves until I developed a following of collectors.

:hug:
~Kathy

Board footer