Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I saw this Great Dane at the grocery store in Grass Valley, CA and asked the owner if I could take pictures.  Later I found out that this dog is in the Guiness Book of World Records for the tallest dog and has been on Oprah. 
EDIT:  I realize from seeing the pictures on Oprah's website that this isn't the same dog.  But, don't ya' think this dog looks bigger.   Both dogs live in Grass Valley, CA.

Very_big_dog_2.JPG

Very_big_dog_1.JPG

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

He could get stuff off the high shelves for me!!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Oh he is a beauty! I just love the pictures.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Patty,
     I saw  him on Oprah last week!  He's over 7 feet tall, when he stands up!  The had him with the tiniest dog in the world - a chuhuahua!  The dane started to sniff the tiny dog, and it shook so hard it, you could see it.  Poor little thing! 

hugs,

Brenda

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Oh my goodness its more like a horse  bear_grin

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Hmmm.... curious. The jacket says 'working dog.' Did you get ti read what the top of the printing says? Is this a blind helper dog?

Penn Valley, CA

I was wondering that myself, Bobbie.  He's not a dog for the blind though, I know that.   Maybe they discussed it on Oprah and someone who saw him on Oprah will know.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Wow!  That's a big dog in your grocery store bear_laugh   I caught the Oprah show, it was pretty funny seeing the tallest and smallest dogs next to each other. That dog was named Gibson...I'm pretty sure this isn't the same dog (looking at the markings), although this one's still huge! They're both Great Danes.  Gibson has his own web page, he's a therapy dog too. 
I can't imagine this one here is much shorter than the world's tallest.... such pretty dogs bear_wub

:hug:
~Chrissi

Penn Valley, CA

You're right, Chrissi.  I checked out Gibson's website and Gibson is more spotted.  Maybe this is Gibson's brother since they both live in Grass Valley.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario
rkr4cds wrote:

Hmmm.... curious. The jacket says 'working dog.' Did you get ti read what the top of the printing says? Is this a blind helper dog?

Actually Bobbie it's a registered therapy dog.  He goes in to nursing homes and hospitals and works with the people,  he's a very gentl giant.  I'm not sure if it's still on her web site but Oprah had that show on her website.  They flew him (Gibson I think his name was) and the owner from CA to Chicago,  Gibson ha his own seat on the plane and even got his wings from the Captain.  When standing on his hind feet he stood 7'2" tall. He was massive but very very gentle. 

I checked checked Oprah.com and I don't think the two dogs are the same dog, maybe in size but the one that was on Oprah is completly different

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200704 … _202.jhtml

None the less it's still a really big dog  bear_grin  bear_grin

big hugs

Shane

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Yes he is sweet, saw him on the Oprah show also!!!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Wowzers, just imagine that boy wanting to sit on your lap for a cuddle. He's a beautiful dog, I bet his food bills are high. I showed my daughter Sarah the pictures and once she has looked at the dog she was looking at all the goodies on the shelves in the store. She's a real foodie and was wondering what ingreadients she could spot. She even baked her own birthday cake for her birthday yesterday...not that I didn't offer and boy was it yummy!

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

aerianna aerBears
Sacramento, CA

Wow, that dog is enormous. Thanks for sharing Patty!
Aeri

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Wow!!!!  And here I thought it was going to be the mastiff again.  But it turns out to be a beautiful dane....lotsa big dogs out there currently  bear_wub   I have to say, I too thought this one would be MOST helpful for reaching those top shelves  bear_rolleyes

Can you imagine the cleanup though  bear_cry  bear_whistle

Penn Valley, CA
DebbieD wrote:

Can you imagine the cleanup though  bear_cry  :whistle:

That had occured to me too, Debbie.  The bigger the dog, the bigger the poop, right?

DebbieD Posts: 3,540
BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Oooo, look at him!  I looooove him!  I'm such a sucker for big dogs.....  bear_wub 

Kimberly W.

Board footer