Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey guys, Guess what????

I"VE QUIT SMOKING!!!!

Yeah, I've been a dirty smoker, alwyas scared that my teddies stink.
I wasn't planning on quitting, but my friend read this book and quit, so naturally I had to know what the book said. I read it, thinking I had no intention of quitting. Well that was well over a week ago now, and I know I'll never go back. Funny though, for the 1st week, I couldn't work on my bears. Couldn't even pick one up. Go figure..

So if it's not too much to ask, could you please post all the reasons I should stay quit?? Sometimes, not often I get a bad craving, and being able to read a bunch of reminders why smoking is so nasty would really help.

Also, if you smoke, feel free to PM me and I'll give you the title of that book. Truely amazing. All it does is help you understand the addiction. Once you understand ( and if you think you understand now, you don't!) you realize that quitting is quite easy. Soo bizzarre. Wish I had read that book years and years ago.

Thanks guys!!

Heather

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Hi Heather,

not to badger you, but because you asked for it. Here's my attempt at scaring you into staying quit bear_happy and I had to gather my courage to do it.

Smoking causes cancer and high blood pressure. 
Kissing a smoker is like kissing an ashtray.
A smoker has a bad sense of smell, but smells disgusting to anyone near.
Your skin ages faster, your teeth turn yellow.
Miscarriages are more common in smokers and babies are often born too soon and underweight.
But worse of all is that smokers harm everybody around them through the effects of second hand smoke. My grandmother died of lung cancer after a lifetime in the company of a cigar smoker. My father got severe breathing problems from smoking co-workers and has to medicate. That's similar to physical abuse.

I wish you the strength to beat this addiction. Good luck! bear_laugh

Sabine

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Heather,first of all big hugs and congratulations:D bear_laugh  ,that's so wonderful !Way to go!!:D :DI quit about 17 years ago after trying many times.I have seen members of my family die of smoking related illnesses and if you are a non smoker,it's very hard to tolerate the smell.We get out taxes done in an office that reeks of smoke and we have to put our papers away in a bag when they come back.
Oh,you wanted reasons:

1) Your health
2)The smell
3)Your teeth
4)Your family
5)Your friends
I'll leave it there for others to leave more.Keep up the fight!When you feel the urge,pick up a bear or post on TT.Oh,I know,try needle felting instead of a ciggarette.That might work bear_grin

Hugs and blessings of support,Shari.

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Heather, My mom smoked when she was young.  I remember being four or five & begging her to stop!  It wasn't until after she quiit that she realized Everything  around her stank even the walls.  I get head aches every time I'm around it.  Nana has enfasima and has an oxigen tank from years of smoking.  You took the 1st step.  Good for you!!!  Jenn

Deb Upstate New York

Heather ~

First ... congratulations on your acknowledgement that smoking is NOT a good thing and for your decision to quit.  I TRULY applaud you.  I know it can be difficult to quit, and because it's so hard, I think many smokers live in denial of the dangers of smoking.
k015.gif

Two of my sisters smoke ... or did.  One has quit, along with her husband, and admittedly, I've been a tough b**** on them all, but only because I love them so.

You want reasons ... I can share a couple.  Do ya have thick skin?  They'll sound harsh, I know, but they are very real life examples.

Smelly and ugly ... You're right to fear that your bears smelled of smoke ... cigarette smoke permeates everything it comes in contact with ... clothing, walls, food, etc.  My uncle was a heavy smoker, and about every other year, I'd be up to my aunt's house painting through the house ... walls, ceilings, everything to cover the yellow staining.

Embarrassing ... My daughter had a friend when she was in middle school that she was very close to.  Both his parents smoked.  We would pick him up (yup, a little boy) to go somewhere, and he'd get in the car and he'd get in our non-smoking car, and start grabbing his shirt and pulling it up to his nose to smell ... over and over.  Then grumble about how his room and all HIS belongings smelled.  He'd apologize profusely to us, and said he was trying to get them to stop, but there was nothing he could do.  One time we stopped to pick him up and he actually declined to come.  He said he didn't have time to put anything in the washer so they didn't smell.  We pleaded, but he refused.  This was a 12 year old.

Unhealthy ... I worked with a woman who was a very happy and successful executive secretary and heavy smoker.  She developed mouth cancer.  The surgery to save her life and give her a few extra years left her with half a jaw on one side, half a tongue, slurred speech and lots of drool and scars.  She worked with an occupational therapist and returned to work, but it made most people sick to be around her.  She became bitter and unhappy.  After being cancer free for several years, the beast returned.  The doctors wanted to do more surgery.  She declined.  In her battle, she became very weak and eventually died of complications of pneumonia.  Her husband, a year later, shot the dogs, then himself in their home.

Please stay smoke free Heather!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Quite bluntly, Grandmother Rose, dead with heart trouble caused through smoking. Grandfather Jack, dead with lung cancer which was operated on, but carried on smoking. Grandfather George, dead at 55 with hardened arteries in 1972. Grandmother Mabel, dead with a stroke after living with a leg amputation for a few years. Father-in-law Ken, dead at 62 with lung cancer and a stroke, never saw my daughter who was born later. Need I say more...

Good luck, my mum gave up years ago and was hypnotized to help her, it did work.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I don't know that I can add any more good reasons than have already been stated, but my dad died of a heart attack (smoker for 40 years).  As a child, I would insist that he open the car windows when he drove us anywhere because I choked on the smoke . . . it's a horrible irritant!  My husband smoked for 25 years and both my girls have respiratory problems, one has asthma.  So . . . second hand smoke is at the very least irritating and at the worst, deadly.  Hubby has quit (thank goodness), but is now addicted to chewing gum . . . I MUCH prefer the gum!!  Big congratulations, Heather, on your decision to quit and I wish you good, good luck - hang in there, my friend!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Heather, I'm so really happy for your choice.  It must feel good, if difficult and new, on every level, and you should be enormously proud.

I'll give you one great reason to keep quit:  smoking behaviors lead to illnesses that stress and break the hearts of those who love you.

Even as I type, I'm waiting on news about my mom's Sept. 14th lung biopsy.  See, she's been smoking for 50+ years, and just couldn't/wouldn't really give quitting a try.  At her last Dr. visit they took x-rays, then scans, and found that her lungs are "suspicious" for cancer.  So the biopsy is an attempt to rule lung cancer out; or decisively diagnose it.

The pain and stress, all these years, watching her repeatedly suffer pneumonia, watching her deal with pleurisy, watching her cough and cough and cough, and get sick and nap far more often than she should; watching her lose weight; smelling her and her clothes (she's a "clean" smoker and smokes outside, but of course, it's everywhere anyway, and especially in her hair, and on her person)... well, over many years, that kind of thing just takes its toll.  I love her enormously, but am angry -- so angry -- at her stupid, against all logic, choices... and am simultaneously, utterly powerless, and must stand aside and watch her do this thing to herself, which might leave us -- my dad, my sisters, my sons -- without her, before her time would otherwise come for that.

Keep on keeping on; I'm trying to lose a little weight myself, and unlike smoking, food isn't really physiologically addictive -- just emotionally/psychologically.  It's terrifically difficult to change habits; to think in new ways.

I absolutely applaud your choice and your efforts and wish you lots of success in this.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Shelli,hugs to you,big,big hugs!! I didn't know about your Mom and I am sorry that she suffers with this horrible addiction and that it is causing so much pain and heartache for your family.I'll add your family and especially your Mom to my prayers.My family has dealt with my Mom's breast cancer head on twice so far as she had a reoccurrence just ten years after a double mastectomy and although she is cancer free at the moment,it is always a worry.And yes I might add ,she did smoke for many years when I was a child but thankfully was able to quit many years ago.

Prayers,hugs and blessings,Shari.

leasmom Posts: 1

Life is precious.  That's the number one reason to quit smoking.  Not only is smoking very hazardous to your health, second hand smoke is nearly equally as dangerous to those around you.  Most people associate lung cancer with smoking, buy many more die from sudden heart attack or stroke, brought on by smoking.  Choose life!

Linda

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Heather.. A few years ago my brotherof 53  died from smoking, we took care of him for his last year ,he was on radiation   then chemo...I watched him die every day. I have smoked for years... but still I  did not stop.

A year ago, in June I thought if I could stop then I will be able to breath better as I was coughing my head off and had cut down to 10 cigs a day.I was already on an inhaler....for asthma....go figure.
So, I said " I will just try " if that doesn't work then I will try again and keep on trying....So.I put the patch on . after a week  I said; " I don't need this " and cont. on without it. I did have some cravings but really.... cravings only last for 30 sec....I can deal with that.
Then I got a lung infection and was put on antibiotics . Two weeks after that I got some weird flu and another lung infection.My Dr. sent me in for breathing  tests at the hosp. and  to a pulmonolgist..
The Pulmonologist asked me ;" Why are you on the inhaler "? I said; I have been one for several years for Asthma". He  said; "Has anyone ever told you that you have COPD "?  Noooo. Whats that ? Amazing... it was rather shocking for me to hear this... " You have COPD level 4, that's as bad as it can get ". Whaaaaa?

So quitting smoking was good, but dear...a lot of damage has already been done...quitting smoking is not going to make my breathing problem go away...and my COPD WILL  get even worse as I age more...in fact I will probably die from it eventually.

I learned that every one who smokes has chronic bronchitis and...many  even have COPD.
Recently, the medical asso. has changed the  definitions  of emphysema, asthma, COPD and bronchitis to being all one in the same ...COPD 

I have had 3 more episodes ( infections )  "they are called  exaberbations " all in a row and I have been on antibiotics and prednisone ( steroid ), now I am on oxygen at night.
Dr. says that the exaberbations are very common with COPD and each time I have one... it  is a closer step to more damage to my lungs...so this is a progressive disease.I need to really stay away from people who are sick with anything I can catch and even crowds especially during flu season,I have very low immunity and will get anything that comes along.   
So...I thought to quit smoking  would keep me from getting cancer and give me my lungs back...both wrong assumtions, I waited too long..and how long is that ? Who knows...just quit long before you have to... 

A tip for you...Don't think about what you are giving up...think about what you are getting !  Dwell on that ....

Do everything in your power to exclude smoke from your life...you have a right to do that.

My brother said; " You go out and spend a fortune on cigs. then watch it go up in smoke " he,he..  he is right.How much money do you spend a month ? And I said I could not afford new clothes or $30 a mo. for the gym ? Crimminy sakes... I could have taken a trip to the holy land once a year.

Another thing he said; "Its not hard to quit...its simple...just do it " You quit in between cigs don't you ?...Just start making it longer then longer...

I don't think it is hard to quit at all ..its staying quit that can be hard...but it is possible and people do it all the time...so can I, and will...I will quit and I will stay quit. My body is not the boss of me...I am the boss of me ! I am in control!

One way to know if you have passed the test is..if you get into an argument with your husband and you can will your self not to smoke thru this...then you have won a victory !
I waited for those times and passed several times..so could chuckle to myself... I won.

OK...e-mail me for  more technical support on this...sure hope you win Heather ...don't feel bad if you fall flat on your face....just keep trying ... Winney

Deb Upstate New York

Oh Winney, thank you for sharing so much of yourself. g020.gif

Dilu Posts: 8,574

way back when, when I was a brand new nurse working the emergency room of our tiny hospital we had a patient come in.  He had been a smoker all his life, a rough and tumble type guy who always thought he could take care of any business that came his way. 

He got sick

He got emphysema-  bad

He was brought in one night, couldn't breathe, O2 sat rates were in the 70's and we were going to have to intubate him to move him down the hill to a 'real' hopsital with an ICU.

He was conscious and he was scared.  Truly fearfully scared.

But he agreed.

With one caveat:

He made the paramedic promise that once the breathing tube was in that The paramedic would wave a lite cig in front of the tube so that he could get just a little in.....

He didn't fight being intubated, which is an incredable thing for a conscious person-all of us would fight like tigers, because just the tube going in makes you feel like you are suffocating until everything is hooked up and the respirator is going.

For the nurses here- we were a very small hospital/er and the paramedic had far more experience intubating than the doc and especially than me, (me never.)  It was in the very very early '80's and rules were bent every which way back then.

He did get intubated, he did get hooked up and the O2 started helping his saturation rates, he went up into the low 80's. Which was good for him but would make us feel like we were dying.  (The body adapts to many things)

It broke my heart to see the paramedic unhook the O2 tube and wave the lit cig by the opening.  I couldn't believe that it really 'helped', but I was a very new nurse.  Now I understand the psychological effect was probably more important.

He survived his ordeal that time.  But he didn't have too many more months left on his dance card, which was sad because his grandkids were so very young and never really got a chance to know their granddaddy.

Since the town was small it was easy to observe the effects that our behavior had on our families and friends.  And sometimes the effects were devastating.

Working in a tiny community hospital in a small town can teach you things you never wanted to know.  But I never forgot Mr. Ford.  Sometimes I remember him in my prayers. 

I understand now, what I didn't then, cigarettes are as addicting as heroin.

Think about that, heroin.  They are so difficult to quit.  And the people who do need a near superhuman strength of will to stay with it.  But it can be done.

In honor of Mr. Ford, who taught me one of my first lessons in real nursing, I will pray for you Heather.  You are making a life afirming decision, and because of this you deserve all the prayers and support and help to fullfill this life afirming decision.

Heather, you CAN do this.  I pray you will.

Dilu

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

I hope you win too Heather. People who smoke have no idea how bad it smells. My father has smoked since he was 17 and refuses to give up. I am an asthmatic I believe due to years of travelling in the car with him smoking. He would have the window down an inch and thought that all the smoke went out there. My mother is a non smoker. Being married to a smoker really makes her sad and she hates the smell of his breath and their home. My father is rather arrogant, and smokes in the house, which I think is extremely selfish because this way mum doesn't have a choice whether or not she inhales it. She had a Stroke almost 7 years ago, and in the back of my mind I have to wonder if his smoking caused it. He still smokes in the house.

I know he will die from smoking related disease...and I hate the fact that he won't even try to give up to prolong his life...much the same as Shelli's mum. Mum is quite disabled and depends a lot on dad...and it causes her so much strees and worry that he may pop off any day now.He is only 65.
My kids don't like to cuddle up to Pa...because he stinks. That's so sad 'cos they love their Pa.
A few years ago I was involved in a trinket swap for Christmas. All the ornaments I received were of non-porous materials...but they and the box REEKED of cigarette smoke. I tossed the lot. People have no idea how vile it smells.
I applaud you for giving up Heather...more power to ya!:D

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Well done Heather ;)
My sister smokes and I hate it.  Both me and my yonger sister don't and you can really see the difference in us (age wise)
All I can add to everyones comments is think of all the fur you can buy with the money you save on ciggies!
stay strong :cool:
hugs sarah

rikkisbears NSW Australia

Hi,
hubby put his last cigarette out  Jan 2004 on the doorstep , Emergency Room of the hospital ( rushed him in for a pressure wound that had turned septic, he had blood poisoning). He eventually got home some 6 to 7 months later after all sorts of complications. Fortunately he's slowly getting better , though not totally out of the woods yet,, but at least he hasn't taken up smoking again. 
Must admit I wasn't much in the mood for bears, in the last couple of years, I prefer to associate tedswith happier times. I've just started up again recently.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

So sorry about your husband's ordeal, Rikki . . . that must have been so scary!!  Glad that he seems to be recovering and hope he will be totally healthy soon.  Maybe starting to make bears again will bring back the happy times!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

IT WILL BE 5 YEARS NEXT MONTH. I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF MYSELF:cool:

Just like everyone, My family has been hit hard by smoking related illness's. Workmates, friends, their families and their friends.  It's a never ending cycle of pain, dread and horrors.

I have fibromyalgia. I'm so glad that I dont have the burden of smoking on top of that.
We owe it to ourselves to live the best possible life we can. Smoking only KILLS.

So we all have an option.... DEATH BY FAGS or CHOCOLATE CAKE.   bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Most of the people I work with smoke...hairdressers are notorious smokers...one girl in particular nips outside between every client...and comes back stinking....it's disgusting...but it's a free world and she doesn't work near me ...and her clients have never complained...but, when I pick up the telephone after she's used it it makes me feel sick...or she speaks to me when she's just come back from her 'fag-break' I have to look away. She isn't 30 yet and she has a terrible smokers cough...her father died at a young age through a smoking related  lung disease...she smoked through her entire pregnancy...and berated everyone who criticised her as being ridiculous.

You know what I think about smoking....for what it's worth...from a non-smokers point of view ...it's selfish...

Jenny

WA

YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT JENNY!!!!!!!!!!

Now who's for a slice of cake?:)

warwickshire uk
Website

Good idea!!!!
Funny thing that a lot of ex-smokers can relate too...( I have never smoked so I can't) but my husband, who, when we started dating used to have a crafty one ..(and I always used to catch him out)...gave up because I used to nag him relentlessly...is so intolerent of smokers now that he is worse than me. Even in bars and places where smoking is allowed he detests it.

I think this is a quite a common thing...that when smokers do give up there is this challenge then to rid the world of the evil weed.

Jenny

WA

Now for that cake, big slice or little slice? Want a fork or will you eat it with your fingers.? napkin?

Deb Upstate New York

Matilda,

I don't think Jenny wants chocolate cake.  I however, will be right over.  I prefer German Chocolate with the pecan/coconut frosting, but also like chocolate fudge.  Yum!  Anything I can bring?

WA

I do a pretty mean caramel chocolate fudge cake. :cool:
Just your sense of humour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
givvus a yell if u get lost. see ya soon:lol:

warwickshire uk
Website

I am just making an apple and strawberry crumble...with custard...

Board footer