Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Okay, if you're a farmer, this won't matter one bit, but I adore my hens.  I've raised them from day old chicks, even driving the five hour journey to get them.  And you wouldn't believe how incredibly spoilt they were.....air conditioning, heater in the winter, etc etc.  And we won't even mention the food  bear_rolleyes

But yesterday I noticed one of my girls, Broody Broomhilde, was 'off colour' yesterday.  I suspected egg bound, as she very rarely lays an egg, and when she does its tiny.  Okay, if I was a farmer, she would have been culled long, long time ago as she just wasn't a producer.  But she loved to brood the eggs as each one was laid, and the little weeble wobble toy I left in there for them.  I mean, she'd talk to the weeble wobble toy, just like a hen does to her chicks in the eggs  bear_wub

Since a couple more hens started laying funny and on their sides yesterday, I thought maybe it was just the unusual heat that was making them act that way.   bear_cry   This morning, I had three hens meet me at the door, but Broom was in a corner, legs straight out.  I thought she'd all ready died, and steeled myself to just get in there and get her buried....and then she moved.  I've just spent at least three or four hours trying to coax her with honey (which did change her comb colour), and getting some water down her.  But there was just something 'wrong'.  I couldn't see or feel an egg for the egg binding problem, but .....well a mommy just 'knows' doesn't she?   bear_cry

She perked up for a bit, and then was able to rest in my lap.  The other girls came over for a look, but didn't seem overly distressed.  Finally the last came....and I've buried her at the fenceline.  Tomorrow I'll do a better job because of course all this drama happened during a particularly spectacular Midwest storm. 

RIP Broody Broomhilde......heavens knows your character was larger than life, and you've brought me so much laughter and joy.  I'm glad I was there for you even to the very end.   :hug:

clare14 Country Bears
England

Awwwww.....   bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry       :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:    A sad day.....   bear_cry

puca bears puca bears

Debbie- that is SO sad - Iam really sorry - each of our "pets" whether furred or feathered (or scaley) is special...big sympathetic hugs to you
Maria :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

bear_cry Thanks girls  :hug:   I haven't been able to properly cry yet, but will probably bawl myself silly once I start.  And yes, she was always far, far more than 'just' a chicken.  I'm afraid in our area, even the vets aren't great at treating chickens.  Its simply a shrug, kill it and buy yourself a new one, as its far cheaper.  I know they mean well, but its not what a caring owner wants to hear  bear_cry

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Jane

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Awe! So sorry Hun! I hope you weather your storm too!

Hugs Louise

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

bear_cry  bear_cry  Oh that is so sad  bear_sad

Hugs Lyn bear_flower

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

So sorry, Debbie. Broody Broomhilde (what a great name) seemed very special. I don't know much about chichens, but I sure know how quickly you can become attached and you'd raised her from a chick. :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Debbie I am SO sorry!!!!!!!!  I know for many of us our pets become our family... be they furry or feathered.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Thanks for the many hugs....they really do help  :hug:

puddinjack Bay Street Bears
Bristol, Tennessee

Debbie, I'm so sorry you lost your hen.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Wendy

bubbles Bearz by Ilze
Canberra

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

rosebearcottage Rose Bear Cottage
Lake Gregory, California

Debbie, I am so sorry to here about your Broody Broomhilde. When my children wer young they both had red hens from chicks. They make the most wonderful pets. My daughter was only three and she would get her hen to lay the eggs in her hand. She thought that was the greatest.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

bear_sad It's terrible when anything dies, so matter what it was... I remember a girl laughing at me went I got really upset when one of my fish died, but he was as big as one of her 'more important' hamsters anyway!

It was obviously just her time, and it sounds like she had a good life... and a craking name!

Stellajella Wien

Oh my, Debbie, :hug:
poor Broodie, she feels no pain anymore!

IsnĀ“t it strange, how attached we can get to living species?
All the best for you and your love ones!!!!
Gaby bear_flower

aerianna aerBears
Sacramento, CA

Oh! I so sorry you lost your hen. Chickens are special and it warms my heart to hear about someone who loves them and takes care of even the poor performers.
Aeri

beary_clairey Luton

Debbie,

I'm sorry you lost your lovely hen!!!  bear_cry

Hugs

Claire

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

oh Debbie, I would be exactly the same as you, you did a wonderful job as Mum to her and I'm sure she appreciated your comfort.

BIG HUGS
Catherine
xxxxx :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

OH Debbie! :hug:  bear_cry You are truely one of the world's really special people. You're rare and Broomhilde was one very lucky wee chook for having you to love her. :hug:   Wendy

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

oh Debbie,

Sorry to hear about little Broomhide  bear_cry

Big Hugs  :hug:  Ali x

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

bear_cry  bear_cry  :hug:  :hug:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

That is so sad, Debbie - sending you lots of hugs to help you through -  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer