Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

NewelleyBears Newelley.Bears
Harrow, Ontario

Hey Guys And Gals...

What a beautiful day we had today in Southwestern Ontario...My friend Tanya and I both had the day off so we decided we would do something we hadn't done for a while...Go spend the day at Point Pelee National Park in Leamington, Ontario which is located about 30 minutes from my house.  We started our little excursion off on the marshland boardwalk which is just beautiful this time of the year.  On the boardwalk, I managed to snap some nice photos of the turtles that inhabit the area.  When we returned to the boardwalk entrance at the end of our walk, we found a mother, father and three baby geese taking a little siesta and soaking up the sun...Can't say I blame them, the weather was perfect for doing so.  We climbed to the top of the watchtower, where I was able to grab some pics of a mother Robin laying rather securely on her nest as well as some pics of another species I haven't been able to identify (Edit - Barn Swallow).  We were also able to fit in hikes on the beach, the dunes and a wilderness hike to see an old homestead, an apple orchard from the 1800's and a Native settlement site dating from over 1300 years ago before the day was through...I thought some of you might like to see the pictures I took throughout the day....The baby geese are just WAY too adorable not to share!  It was a fantastic day and we plan on spending every weekend visiting the park.  I suggest to everyone : If you have a National Park close to you, visit it!!!  Nothing compares to the beauty and glory mother nature has provided to us all. 

Hope You All Enjoy The Pics!

Mother Robin Guarding Her Nest :
Point_Pelee_May_14_2007_0210.jpg

A Lonely Turtle :
Point_Pelee_May_14_2007_0330.jpg

Goose Guarding The Babies :
Point_Pelee_May_14_2007_0430.jpg

Baby Goose Basking In The Sun :
Point_Pelee_May_14_2007_0440.jpg

Three Baby Geese Sprawled Out For An Afternoon Siesta :
Point_Pelee_May_14_2007_0450.jpg

(Edit) Barn Swallow At The Marshlands :
Point_Pelee_May_14_2007_0160.jpg

Franklin & Sheldon...Two Playful Little Turtles :
Point_Pelee_May_14_2007_0300.jpg

The Du Laurier Homestead Barn...Is That Tanya I See Peeking From Behind The Barn Wall?  :
Point_Pelee_May_14_2007_0610.jpg

Sincerely,
Jeremy

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi  Jeremy. The pictures are great, I especially like the one of the lonely turtle. The park looks like a wonderful place to visit and so many creatures to see. Your photographs are really good Jeremy thanks so much for sharing.

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Wonderful pictures! Your unidentified bird is a Barn Swallow. Sounds like a really nice spot to visit.

pandamac

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Wow!!!  Thanks for sharing your pics and adventures  :photo:   I agree, your photos are amazing, I can see such detail in each!  Hark...is that poison ivy climbing up the barn wall??   bear_rolleyes  bear_laugh

I'd no idea robins ranged that far north, and each pic I was either going awwwhhhh  bear_wub or oooohhhh  over  bear_flower  You're right, Nature's at her best right now....

bear_shocked Where??  I used to live in Florence, and Lincoln City, Oregon.....  Some of the fires out there were horrific in the summer....  bear_sad

Harrow, Ontario

Hey Girls...

Thanks for the compliments about my pictures and Ellen, thanks for identifying the bird as a barn swallow for me!  I never even noticed anything growing on the wall when we were there...I hope it wasn't poison ivy as Tanya would have gotten into close range of it....She just HAD to get as close as possible to everything there....LoL

Jeremy

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Wow....great pics Jeremy.  Sheldon and Franklin are pretty cute.

Debbie.... the robins come home to Canada every March the 15 (and usually get snowed on for the first two weeks or so) and they fly away south every October ...almost like clockwork.  I look for them on those days and sure enough...find at least one has returned by then...and can only find the occasional not too bright one that stays behind after they finish off every last Mayday berry in October.  They just have a built in timer or something.....

We even have dainty little birds like hummingbirds, warblers and thrushes.... it's not cold here all the time and it is too darn hot in some states in the summer months....they come here to get away from the heat in the summer...and go there to get away from the cold in the winter.  The true Snowbirds.....

There's a good point!  Maybe I should 'migrate' as well to get away from the summer heat!   bear_laugh

We've got them migrating through Missouri as well, and although they tend to stay year round in the southern parts of Missouri, we're more in the middle.  As you say, the 'not to bright' sometimes come too soon, or linger too long  bear_rolleyes

Oooh, and let's just hope I've gotten it wrong and that was just devil's trumpet climbing up the barnwall then!  At least Tanya was enjoying her outting!!  bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wonderful photos, Jeremy!  Ellen beat me to the punch in identifying the barn swallow.  Very lovely outing you and Tanya had.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

Beautiful photos!
You're like me in that you love nature and being out in it taking pictures...
the bird definitely looks like a barnyard swallow to me. We have a bunch right by our creek here. They are super fast birds that dive and do stunts in the air...they love to gather near water sources. They are gorgeous birds and their wing-shape and tail-shape are so unusual. They are a bright shiny blue with a peachy colored chest.

Love the turtles...I've been picking up baby turtles here lately...we've got a lot of great big turtles living in our creek...and also we have been seeing baby goslings at our park...6 new babies swimming with their parents.  bear_wub

A few days ago we watched a robin attack an owl at our local park to get it to fly away from its nest. It was really cool. I never knew little robins could be so brave against a great big owl!

We also have a lot of rabbits hopping around our yard lately. New babies have been born.

I'm really hands-on with nature cause I grew up in the country in Tennessee. Now we're in Kansas (but just for a few more weeks and then we're moving to Massachusetts). There's a whole lot of wildlife here in Kansas. I'm always picking up frogs and turtles and watching snakes...and identifying owl species. And recently I rescued 2 baby squirrels whom I named Twitch and Snitch.

I just love the natural world! And I've been dying to watch the Planet Earth series.

Have fun outdoors!

-Eliza

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Beautiful pictures, Jeremy, and so much inspiration for those of us who make little fluffy cute things.  Thanks so much for sharing them!

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Wow what great pictures, absolutely beautiful, what kind of camara do you have???????

Harrow, Ontario

Thanks for all of the compliments regarding the pics...Eliza, it's good to know that you enjoy being outdoors and all of the lovely little creatures as much as I do.  Jodi, I have an Olympus SP-510 UZ...I got it as a christmas present and I think it is one of the nicest digital cameras I have used so far...Here is the link to the website if you wanna take a look at it :

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_secti … oduct=1268

Glad Everyone Is Enjoying The Pics...

Jeremy

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Awww, those ducky pictures are adorable!

I am going to Yosemite in a few weeks, I can't wait.

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Jeremy, I will go check it out, my camara for some reason has on every picture, a slight pink smudge, I have cleaned the lens, so it has to be in the camara, I have had it for a long time and I guess it's time to replace it, I just hate having to get used to something new. But your pictures are so nice it has motivated me.
hugs
Jodi

Stellajella Wien

Jeremy, wow, great pix! I love the 3 baby geese the best bear_wub
Well done! :clap:  And thanx for sharing!

Gaby bear_flower

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Jeremy thank you for sharing your day with us .... wonderful pictures

Harrow, Ontario

Hey Folks....

So yesterday, we returned to Point Pelee National Park.  It was a holiday (Victoria Day) here in Canada, so we both had the day off and thought we would make another visit to the park.  We made it to the point this time....Boy was I stunned to see how much it has eroded over the last 5 or ten years...There technically isn't much of an actual point to it at all.  So much so that I have now dubbed the park "Stub Pelee".  It is soooo discouraging, as years ago, we were able to walk right out to the tip and put our feet in the water.  Due to the rapid rate of erosion at the point however, there is CAUTION tape and barricades up preventing you from even getting a close look.  We HIKED and HIKED all day...I'm not a small person and I am willing to admit, I was quite sore and wanting to relax by the end of the day, but boy did we have another fun filled and adventurous day!!!  I was able to take a bunch more pictures and thought I would share them with all of you...

So Here They Are :

Little Turtle In The Swamp...Only About 3 Inches In Diametre :
Point_Pelee_-_May_21_2007_0030.jpg

Little Butterfly On The Swamp Boardwalk :
Point_Pelee_-_May_21_2007_0140.jpg

A View Of The Swamp From The Boardwalk :
Point_Pelee_-_May_21_2007_0020.jpg

Various Pics Of Flora In The Park Shot With The Macrovision Element Of The Camera :
Point_Pelee_-_May_21_2007_0160.jpg

Point_Pelee_-_May_21_2007_0190.jpg

Point_Pelee_-_May_21_2007_0200.jpg

Point_Pelee_-_May_21_2007_0230.jpg

Point_Pelee_-_May_21_2007_0290.jpg

The DuLaurier Homestead :
Point_Pelee_-_May_21_2007_0400.jpg

Unidentified Bird At The DuLaurier Barn :
Point_Pelee_-_May_21_2007_0480.jpg

Barn Swallow At The Point Visitor's Centre :
Point_Pelee_-_May_21_2007_0510.jpg

Hope Everyone Enjoys The New Pics!

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Jeremy,

Now your unidentified bird is identified! This one is a Tree Swallow. The swallows are so much fun to watch. Darting in and out catching flies and bugs.............Great pictures!

pandamac

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Thanks very much for sharing your wonderful photos with us Jeremy.
It almost seemed like we were there.
You would have had a great day.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Board footer