Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Hi All
I was wondering what you all do for orders?  A lady who has ordered 4 bears from me wants different colours for each bear.  Now I am fine with this, but she is liking other furs on other bears that I've made and wants the butter fly bears in that fur...do you know  what I mean?  Anyway, the fur won't work coz it is too long...so what does eveyone do in this situation...
I have sent her some fabric samples and told her what she can choose from...and I even gave her the option of a larger butterfly bear to use the fur she likes...hmmm...She seems to be having fun with it all but I can imagine someone else would have been fed up already with the choices lol.
So anyone had this problem and what do you do with customs?  I would like to have a plan for and if next time this happens....
I will make the fur order once she has decided, but she wants them for christmas lol...tick tick lol
hugs sarah

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Sounds like my mother-in-law, bless, give her a choice and her brain turns to mush!;) In the future I would stick to your choice as an artist. I know its nice for her but its a nightmare for you and it will make making the bears a chore. I would lead her in the direction of your fur choice but pretend it was her idea... hmm.
Next time just say as an artist YOUR fur choice says which bear is to be made, just say it ruins your artist flow with too much outside input!:lol:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Or you could use the long fur and trim it--charging her for the original fur, of course! :D

Eileen

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Sarah,
  Too many choices can be a bit overwhelming for a customer at times!

I'd ask her whether she is primarily concerned with
       choice of color
       or whether she's primarily concerned with the "look" of the fur
           (which ends up being pile length thing for most customers).

I find that if you explain that using a fur that is much longer (or shorter) than the bear that stole her heart, it will completely change the over all look of the bear... she'll probably be reined back into the pile length that works best for you.... then just ask her to choose between pastels, jewel tones, or natural type colors.... or just give her a list of the color choice available in that pile length.  It is definitely a difficult balance between scaring her off by offering TOO many choices, and seeming like you might be "bossing her around" by offering her little choice at all.

The custom orders that are the easiest are the ones where someone just says ... "Make me something orange!"

Help any?

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Australia

Amanda I love that, my artist flow lol. I'm picturing one of those eccentric artists lol.:P

Thanks for your ideas Kim, I will copy your advice for next time, what you said is helpful coz I was at a loss for what choices to give her...I thought just colour but it has snowballed by her looking at my other bears and liking others lol

I will use what you said this time if she doesn't make up her mind by next email.  Direct her more and give her like a checklist or something.  She seems like she is having a ball choosing but I jsut want to order and get started lol.

Okay...I have a plan lol...Lets hope it works lol

Thankyou all
hugs sarah

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

Hi Sarah,
I normally send about four sample bits of mohair, usually mohair I have in stock. Then they are not totally overwhelmed.
Sometimes it isn't worth buying mohair specially to make a bear unless you can just get enough for the one bear.
Also if a collector likes a large bear but wants a smaller version of that bear making in the same thick long mohair/ alpaca I will advise the smallest size I can make with out it looking like a yeti fur ball! :o
Hugs Kerren

Australia

okay...I have half an answer to the order lol...she wants one out of metallic ratinee, one little blue one with shorter fur....the two for her daughters are still being thought on bear_rolleyes ...lol
I will get there soon hopefully lol :P
thanks
sarah bear_laugh

ellen ontario, canada

just say no to custom jobs!  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin
it's a terrible thought but it makes your life MUCH easier.
they'll buy whatever you have if they like your "stuff".
bear_happy

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Mandie,

Could you paint or ink the small areas? Or paint with dye?

I have a calico cat with similar markings--it would be quite a job to reproduce her!

Eileen

Australia

oh Mandie!!! Now that sounds like a nightmare :rolleyes:

I did get a final response today...teal green and purple lol...along with a larger metallic blue and little blue!  Now to order...the fun part bear_laugh lol...I love spending money bear_tongue ...especially when it includes mohair ;)

Will post pics when they are done...whenever that may be lol
thanks for everyones help :)
hugs sarah

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

That wasn't so bad Sarah!  Sounds like she had fun with it, and sounds like you have nailed down some fabric/size choices that will work for both of you!  YEA!!!! Yes... you must CERTAINLY post pics for us when you are done!  Congratulations again on the custom order!

Beary trul yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Australia

Been off for a few days coz I haven't been feeling good so a bit late, but...Thanks Kim and everyone for your help and well wishes...I love being here :P
Hugs Sarah

Board footer